Author Topic: V7 Special: stuck in hot traffic jam for a looooong time. Now not running well  (Read 21880 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Tank propped up and finally found the coils.  Which are painfully obvious when you know what to look for and where too look for it.  Thanks to everyone for your patience.  Wires now removed and off to the dealer for the new contacts.

FWIW:  I have one on each side of the bike, along the upper frame.

Some pics of my adventure (it was adventurous to me)

Tank props

Coils!

Success

Well and truly fried

One part away from up n running

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
That's why I run the wires through plastic tubing, right there.

Glad you found it. You realize that you've now successfully mechaniked, right?   :thumb:

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
Tank propped up and finally found the coils.  Which are painfully obvious when you know what to look for and where too look for it.  Thanks to everyone for your patience.  Wires now removed and off to the dealer for the new contacts.

FWIW:  I have one on each side of the bike, along the upper frame.

Some pics of my adventure (it was adventurous to me)

Tank props

Coils!

Success

Well and truly fried

One part away from up n running

While you are in there, double check your front tank bolts that are holding the rubber puck....SOME not all have those bolts loosen and killed the tank...

Figure you should check while the tank is already off...quite annoying when you have to do it TWICE...LOL...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Wildguzzi.com

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
Congrats! Hopefully just a wire away...
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
That's why I run the wires through plastic tubing, right there. Glad you found it. You realize that you've now successfully mechaniked, right?

Yes, congrats on the mechaniking - you are now officially dangerous.

[rodekyll], what is your recommended source of plastic tubing? My homebrew equipment ? Garden hose ?
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Glad you found it. You realize that you've now successfully mechaniked, right?   :thumb:
Only by a generous definition.  It does feel good to have worked through it so far.  I won't be able to do the clips until this weekend then we'll see what we see.

Thanks for the tip Timmy.  I'll check that when I lift the tank again.  I've put it back together for now because it's sitting out on the street and I can't get to the final part of the job until this weekend.

I think I'm going to get a center stand for the bike.  It'd definitely have made some things easier.

Thanks waxi!

Normzone, definitely dangerous. :D  Working with flame and fuel and not knowing what the heck I'm doing.  I was definitely apprehensive about the tank.  Had mental images of 5 gallons of gas spewing all over.  It might still happen someday, but that day was not today.  :smiley:

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Yes, congrats on the mechaniking - you are now officially dangerous.

[rodekyll], what is your recommended source of plastic tubing? My homebrew equipment ? Garden hose ?

I go to the hardware store and buy a few feet of bulk, clear plastic tubing.  The limp stuff, like your aquarium hose.  If you have 8mm plug wires, get 3/8 tubing.  Screw a screw into the end of the wire and attach a length of that soft "baling wire" you can get in the hardware store.  I use wire from my welder.  Get the tubing hot (heat gun or boil it) until really soft and then use the little wire to pull the 8mm wire through.  If you're quick and lucky you can get it all arranged on the bike before it cools.  Then it will set-up better along your chosen path.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
I go to the hardware store and buy a few feet of bulk, clear plastic tubing.  The limp stuff, like your aquarium hose.  If you have 8mm plug wires, get 3/8 tubing.  Screw a screw into the end of the wire and attach a length of that soft "baling wire" you can get in the hardware store.  I use wire from my welder.  Get the tubing hot (heat gun or boil it) until really soft and then use the little wire to pull the 8mm wire through.  If you're quick and lucky you can get it all arranged on the bike before it cools.  Then it will set-up better along your chosen path.

That's interesting.  Not sure how this would affect the plug wire insulation, but a small amount of acetone or methanol makes the PVC tubing very slick.  You might consider using some as lubricant as you pull the wire through- it evaporates quickly, won't leave a residue. 
Again- I am not sure what affect it would have on the insulation of the wire.  Probably none...but....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:56:21 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have the contacts I need in stock.  I did get them ordered and 7-10 days to get them here.

Question:  Am I doing anything horribly foolish if I re-use the existing contacts until then?  I was able to get one of them off in pretty good shape and could probably get the other.

I need to get longer wires tomorrow (need 24 " not the 19" I have) and I'd love to get it all back together and running.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
This is the contact I'm thinking of re-using (in case I'm not using the right terminology)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
It's just a piece of brass.. shouldn't be a problem.. except. Do you have a way of properly crimping it to get electrical contact?
Since you are getting new wires, why not get a set of NGK caps and be done with it?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Are there NGK caps for the coil side?
I don't have a crimping tool.  I was going to try 1 of 2 routes:  get the dealer to do it when I pick up the longer wire (preferable :D ) or try to get a crimp with tools I already have:  various pliers and fence tools.  Bad idea?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
I have bought car make up kits w/90* for going into the dist cap, may be right size or not for your coil. You may not need the elbow unless something is in the way, strait ones are easy to find. Go to a hot rod car shop, they have all that stuff.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Straight should work room-wise.  Here's the connecter with the boot.  Thanks for the idea.

I also looked and Lowes or Home depot has both wire strippers and crimpers.  Should probably pick some up and make my life easier.

Offline Johan

• New Egg
Confirm same issue here with a 2015 Nevada. Spark plug wires molten on the cilinder head. Unfortunately exhaust severely damaged due to firing of the gasses in the exhaust. New bike, should not happen. Piaggio agreed (after a lot of discussion) and replaces the sparkwires and exhaust.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
 :azn:
  :cheesy:
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

The yellow beast is grumbling like a kitten.  Which is as it ought to be.

:grin:

The salvaged terminal/connector to the coil appears to be working just fine. The dealer was nice enough to strip n crimp it for me while I was picking up the longer wires.

Timmy, you were spot on about the rubber pucks.  Loose, both of 'em.  They're now tightened.

I'm still taking it into the dealer:  decided I didn't want to deal with the clutch cable, they can do a compression check at that time, and give my fixes a once-over.  Having said that, it felt really good to get this little bit of mechanic work under my belt.  Thanks to all for your tips and advice.

I'm going to (loosely) zip tie up the clutch cable tomorrow morning, take the bike for a short ride to get it up to temp, and change the oil & filter.  And that should be that.   :cool:

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Whoooo..Hooooo :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Glad to hear you got you baby up and runnin' !!

Hope all goes well at the shop!!
Tom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:57:20 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
:azn:
  :cheesy:
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

The yellow beast is grumbling like a kitten.  Which is as it ought to be.

:grin:

The salvaged terminal/connector to the coil appears to be working just fine. The dealer was nice enough to strip n crimp it for me while I was picking up the longer wires.

Timmy, you were spot on about the rubber pucks.  Loose, both of 'em.  They're now tightened.

I'm still taking it into the dealer:  decided I didn't want to deal with the clutch cable, they can do a compression check at that time, and give my fixes a once-over.  Having said that, it felt really good to get this little bit of mechanic work under my belt.  Thanks to all for your tips and advice.

I'm going to (loosely) zip tie up the clutch cable tomorrow morning, take the bike for a short ride to get it up to temp, and change the oil & filter.  And that should be that.   :cool:

Awesome to hear she is purring and no longer sleeping

Glad to be of service...lol...as I would have to do the plug cap update later myself...just wish I would had know before I had the tank off the first time...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
I hope two last questions.  I've removed the oil pan plugs (there are indeed 2.  Page 141 of the owners manual if anyone finds this thread in the future).  I've removed the screw for the filter. 

1) it say "remove the cover".  Does that screw off or is it supposed to be pried off?  I've tried to move it by hand but I'm reluctant to start applying tools until I know more about how it comes off the bike.

My oil pan plugs had some metal filings, the back more so than the front.  The back concerns me a bit; I'm assuming some filings are always common on lower mileage (about 3600) bikes but the back plug had a chunky bit.

2) For those folks who do their own oil:  is that a "normal" amount of filings?  Not much I can do about it now but I can steel myself for dealer news. ;)  Plus I'll know if I decide to keep doing my own oil changes in the future.

I also have a slightly weepy gasket (I believe based on the visuals).  Will have the shop replace that too.  It's not leaking that much so I'm not worried between now and when I take it in.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Pics:

Cover I'm supposed to remove:

Front plug

Back plug (this shows the concerning chunk best)

Leaking gasket

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Found the answer to the 1st question:  Pry it (gently).  Thanks to this old thread and Cam3512
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=82340.0
Everything buttoned back up and adding oil as we speak.  It says 2 liters and I'm not entirely sure it means 2 liters.  Adding 1 3/4 liters and thereafter checking as I go.  I know since it's cold now, it could under-report the level.

Would still like to any insight into the 2nd question:  how many filings are "normal"?

I had an oil change...1,000 miles ago?  Something like that.  Hadn't hit the recommended mileage yet but the oil was dark and I figured "better safe than sorry".  I'm assuming all the metal filings were cleaned off at that time so these would be new since then.

About 3,600 miles on the bike give or take a few.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
So when the filter bolt is snugged...it means snugger than I did. :p  Minor hazmat issue.  I was afraid of cracking things so I didn't snug it down enough.  Oil leakage ensued.  Tightened things up more.  Put some more oil in it.  I'm still not happy with the level so I'll get one more liter and fill it a bit more before I start it up again.  The two plug bolts look fine but I'll check them one more time when the engine (and outside) is cool again. 

I did find a small piece of filter-cover-fin on the ground.  My gentle prying may not have been gentle enough.  (I didn't feel anything break free when I was prying but the piece unmistakably broke off 'cause there it was on the ground.)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
The oil filter cover fins are soft as butter, so you don't hear or feel anything when they go. I now no longer use any sort of ring spanner on that piece, but always use a socket - a long socket or one on a short extension. The fins on my second V7's cap are still all there. As you cap stuck on a bit, check the big o-ring; it should be OK & a little oil helps keep it free next time. The crush washer crushes & deforms, so a new one now & again helps.

I put 1.9 L in the 1TB (& 1.7L in the 2TB).

When I dropped the oils on my then new V7C at 35 km, there were large amounts of filings on all the magnets. Generally since then the amount of filings became less & less. If you are worried, drop the oil again somewhat early & check again. Take more photos & compare. The chances are all will be fine.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Thanks Malik.  When I put it all back together I did apply oil to the various rubber/rubber-esque parts on the filter assembly.

On an entirely different note:  while I was off getting additional oil (Castrol 10-60 because that's all I could get my hands on today)...my bike was stolen.  I kid you not.  Police are notified but geez.  Not feeling hopeful this evening.  There is one happy guy though (other than the thief):  the thief had stolen a different bike not too far from here.  Hot-wired it.  A Honda Shadow.  I guess when he saw my Guzzi he decided to upgrade.  He took my bike and left the Shadow.  Sucks.  Very bummed this evening.  (I will say though that the Shadow owner was overjoyed to get his bike back though the battery was drained). 

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
 :angry:

I hate it when that happens.  How long were you in the store?

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
I didn't ride it to the store; drove because it's currently low on oil (another ouch; I can't imagine the engine comes back as anything other than slag if it shows up again).  I was gone... 45 minutes?  I can't imagine it was more than that.  The neighbor actually heard him take off on it; thought it was me so they didn't give it much thought.

In a slightly twisted way, it did make me laugh that the thief felt the Guzzi was an upgrade.  He at least knows quality.  About the only funny thing I can see about it.

It is only money.  I could be wading through water in Houston right now or in some other Texas town watching my life treasures floating away.  But ouch.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
So he left a stolen Honda IN YOUR DRIVEWAY when he traded up?

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
What a bugger! I do hope you were insured, tho it sounds not.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
So he left a stolen Honda IN YOUR DRIVEWAY when he traded up?
Yup.  Well, right in front of my house.  Ballsy, yes?

Malik, I am insured.  Not sure how that works with a stolen vehicle but I guess I'll find out.  <wry smile>

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
The guy should be chained to a bike rack in downtown Houston for a week.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here