Author Topic: What are lightened flywheel pros and cons?  (Read 786 times)

Online amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
What are lightened flywheel pros and cons?
« on: June 01, 2023, 09:39:47 AM »
I installed a v11 10 spring flywheel and ring gear in my 77 lemans.  Engine was completely over hauled. Gilardoni 88mm cylinders, p-9 cam, heads redone, moving parts balanced (all work done by mike rich) bike had all bearing replaced, new u joints etc…basically all moving parts replaced and/or rebuilt.  It runs like a beast. The only thing i have issues with is vibrations and high speed. I don’t remember that when i picked up the bike years ago and drove it from Mass to Ny.  It felt smooth and easy to ride on the highway. While the bike now is super responsive and a hoot blasting around, a 1 hour drive on a highway at 75-ish was very not much fun (numbing vibrations in hands, feet and arse) Was wondering if it was because of the overall effects of a lightened flywheel? Carbs are synced spot on, i trust that mike rich had all parts balanced correctly and the bike put back together properly. The differences between picking the bike up and now are the lightened flywheel, the cylinder kit and all bearing replaced. Granted, I don’t plan on many highway trips but they are unavoidable where i am now.  Just trying to wrap my head around why the bike is now fairly uncomfortable cruising on a highway for any length of time when the first time i threw a leg over it i drove down 95 2 hundred miles and felt fine
Thx
Allen

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: What are lightened flywheel pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
If you lined up crankpin mark on new flywheel it should all work the same balance. You may feel a bit more vibes but not much. I would make sure timing is on at full advance.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

czakky82

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 11:56:46 AM »
Valves adjusted?

Online amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »
Valves adjusted, timing set properly. Maybe it’s just me. I remember having it put it together rather quickly because i was moving. Since these bike are so easy to work on, i may just go through everything once more over the winter

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 12:21:54 PM »

I would think it's an engine balance problem not related to the weight of the flywheel.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
  It may be worth finding out exactly what balance factor he used . Also is there less vibration at rather elevated engine speeds ?
Was the replacement flywheel assembly balanced with your parts ? Or may it have been balanced from the factory with the heavier
engine parts of the original V11 motor ?  Peter

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 02:25:44 PM »
When I put the Gillardoni cylinders/ pistons in my 850 eldo, I also noticed more high speed vibration. I took the top end apart, and weighed the forged pistons/ pins ,and they were a bit heavier than the stock 88's. I removed  some material from the inside of each piston, to match the weight of the oem cast pistons, and the  excessive vibration went away.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »
I'm going to respectfully disagree with my esteemed fellow guzzi enthusiasts.  :boxing:

I had a lightened flywheel in a fully blueprinted Cal 1100 engine, I then swapped it for a standard one, no other changes. It was definitely smoother when cruising.

I've since re-built the bike as a 17inch wheeled, clip on-ed sports bike (ish).. so the lightened flywheel is probably going back in!!!

Also, many other things can affect the vibes in the bars, sometimes with a bit of bar end weight experimentation the vibes can be tuned out..

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 02:34:08 PM »
I've never messed with the stock motor as they always ran good enough for me while putting over 100K on many Guzzis. Speed in a quarter mile, increased HP etc never excited me. Now if someone mentions the town of Beaver, Kansas I have to check it out.

Tex

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 03:36:55 PM »
Here you go Tex.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 03:55:32 PM »
I would think it's an engine balance problem not related to the weight of the flywheel.

My CX has a lightened Ed Millich flywheel and no unusual vibes at high speed.

I can't imagine that Mike Rich got this work wrong but I would give him a call to discuss what is happening.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:59:19 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
The question is what are the pros and cons?  I don't know much, just ask those who live with me, but I think a lighter flywheel allows the motor to spin up faster.  On the other side it won't have the same locamotive pull at lower rpm?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:32:54 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 05:04:51 PM »
Logically , if Mike had all the parts balanced apart from the new flywheel and it was smooth prior to the flywheel swap, then the flywheel isn't in balance with the rest and this is causing the vibration.
When balancing cranks not everyone checks the flywheel ,or the alternator rotor for that matter.Ideally they should all be done together.

guido guzzi

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 06:31:33 PM »
Logically , if Mike had all the parts balanced apart from the new flywheel and it was smooth prior to the flywheel swap, then the flywheel isn't in balance with the rest and this is causing the vibration.
When balancing cranks not everyone checks the flywheel ,or the alternator rotor for that matter.Ideally they should all be done together.

Um... no. Crankshafts are balanced to the reciprocating components: Pistons, rings, circlips, connecting rods and bolts, small end bushings and big end bearings. I have had flywheels and ring gears balanced *to each other* - without balancing any other components - with mixed results...  :undecided: It makes sense that a heavier flywheel will smooth out the power pulses and store more energy between combustion events.

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 07:14:34 PM »
Whell now you know the cons, what are the pro,s shift faster? It will beat it self and you on the road to  mebeyon the track ok.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 11:00:21 PM »
I have different variations on the concept with different Guzzi's. I don't have weights on any of these.
My favorite is the lemans flywheel on my 850T. You can see in the pic that not much has been removed. It is a nice compromise for a happy roadbike.

The LeMans 1000 is radically lightened. This was a pro thunder / ccs / bott racebike from the late 80's. Great squid bike, not as fun for touring. you certainly feel the motor.

My Cal III had the lightened flywheel replaced with a RAM clutch before I bought it. This is also a good compromise with the lightest clutch pull I've ever felt on a guzzi. It revs quickly but it's not as vibey. also a very good piece.

My Lemans 3 has the stock clutch and it feels like it takes forever to get up to 6000 rpm.
this bike is getting an ergal flywheel, just cuz I have two sitting here. that and a P-3 cam should make for a nice streetbike.

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 05:35:35 AM »
sounds like the engine was not balanced with the new ( heavier) pistons.
usually this is skipped.
a newly rebalanced engine should be absolutely smooth.
the flywheel shouldn't make a difference.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:10:12 AM by huub »

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 05:38:29 AM »
Um... no. Crankshafts are balanced to the reciprocating components: Pistons, rings, circlips, connecting rods and bolts, small end bushings and big end bearings. I have had flywheels and ring gears balanced *to each other* - without balancing any other components - with mixed results...  :undecided: It makes sense that a heavier flywheel will smooth out the power pulses and store more energy between combustion events.

I think I have either badly expressed myself or you have missed my point : the flywheel and rotor may  be out of balance.
We agree that the actual mass of the flywheel may be a factor too

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 05:39:31 AM »
sounds like the engine was not balanced with the new ( heavier) pistons.
usually this is skipped.
the flywheel shouldn't make a difference.

That was also what I thought on my initial reading...

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
As I understand it, an engine will always have some vibration, or at least that is what my copy of tuning for speed tells me. The vibration you feel is a sum of the engine and its interaction with the frame and motorcycle components.

If you have changed say the handlebars, foot pegs, exhaust or something, that component may be vibrating at a different harmonic frequency to the original and that is what you are feeling.

Have you changed any components on the bike?

Steve 

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 08:01:07 PM »
My $.02, I had my LeMans Flywheel lightened by Manfred Hecht along with headwork. No increase in vibrations but the engine now winds up like a two stroke.

Pete

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 09:17:55 PM »
My $.02, I had my LeMans Flywheel lightened by Manfred Hecht along with headwork. No increase in vibrations but the engine now winds up like a two stroke.

Pete

Yup.  Due to a variety of circumstances, I’ve spent far too little time on my CX100 with seriously lightened flywheel. I know nothing about the specifics of this engine.  So far, no adverse vibration that I’m used to from old singles, etc.   

But riding it back to back against my old V7 Sport makes me think that I’m not riding a Guzzi.  It revs up & down effortlessly, not like my old Guzzi.  To me, it’s a completely different experience. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:21 PM »
Yup.  Due to a variety of circumstances, I’ve spent far too little time on my CX100 with seriously lightened flywheel. I know nothing about the specifics of this engine.  So far, no adverse vibration that I’m used to from old singles, etc.   

But riding it back to back against my old V7 Sport makes me think that I’m not riding a Guzzi.  It revs up & down effortlessly, not like my old Guzzi.  To me, it’s a completely different experience.

Pros of a lightened flywheel - they are beautiful.  Con is that it is hidden.  Would you recommend a lightened flywheel in your Sport Clint?  I’m not sure whether to reinstall the one in mine or locate a stock one.

Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 09:58:17 PM »
Pros of a lightened flywheel - they are beautiful.  Con is that it is hidden.  Would you recommend a lightened flywheel in your Sport Clint?  I’m not sure whether to reinstall the one in mine or locate a stock one.

Ben, my v7 Sport engine is all stock specs and so well-sorted that I wouldn’t change a thing.  It isn’t pretty but my video shows how well it starts and runs after sitting for months at a time.  I have no desire to turn a screw.  The way it builds momentum is always a thrill, alway an “uh oh I better quit before I get into trouble” experience every time I really stay in it.  People compare it to a two stroke power band experience.  It isn’t as abrupt but makes me think of when you just drank one more than you should have and quickly realize that there’s no turning back. I love my v7 Sport.

I never liked a bland UJM in-line four feel (including my Benelli 500-4) and as much as I like a Ducati twin, it doesn’t thrill me like my old V7 Sport does every time I twist it.  This lightened flywheel on the CX makes me want to put a heavy stock flywheel on it so it feels like my V7 Sport except I like the idea of quick revs and triple discs as a completely new bend on my Guzzi perspective.  My V7 Sport isn’t a stock resto.  But except for the dyna ignition and k&n filters, the driveline is 100% original and still a blast. After 30 yrs, It is my baseline reference for all motorcycles.

Too bad you’re so far away.  But if you’re down this way, it won’t take a long ride on either of them to feel the difference. Up north, you don’t eat fiddlehead ferns because they are the best tasting culinary delicacy to be found.  You enjoy & appreciate them for what they represent- nature, spring and one more chance to enjoy a new time of life. 

Imho The V7 Sport is the end of the ruler.  It is the origin of all modern Guzzi Vtwin sportbikes.  Appreciate it for what it is and what it inspired.  Modify the rest because none of them came first.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

czakky82

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 05:20:32 AM »
Well said Cliff. :bow:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here