Author Topic: Riding the Honda CB750 Chopper to North Carolina.....NOPE  (Read 586 times)

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
Riding the Honda CB750 Chopper to North Carolina.....NOPE
« on: June 05, 2023, 01:50:06 AM »
Well, I think i have a decision to make regarding riding my 1972 Honda CB 750 chopper to the chopper meet in North Carolina.  I tore up my left shoulder (Rotator Cuff) and the doctor wants to do surgery.

My shoulder is of course bothering me (rotator cuff) and I dont want to do anything stupid so....I will either trailer my motorcycle to the weekend event, and ride some there, or i will just drive my truck to the weekend event, and not ride at all.  Sucks!

My shoulder is a little sorer this week then last week but is not in a lot of pain unless i move it certain directions.  I did the damage to it 9 weeks ago and the surgeon said he likes to fix them 4-6 weeks out from the injury date at the latest.  I guess if I cant ride the bike in the twisties there is no reason to trailer it to the event.  Just putting the left hand on the handlebar is painful, so I might just be in my truck.  Im going either way!  Stupid shoulder.

Ive had one guy tell me to suck up the pain and ride it there anyways but I dont know if thats the smartest thing to do.  Im getting an MRI on the shoulder later today and will go from there. 

This weekend (9-11th) I was going to ride my Guzzi to Two Wheels of Suches for the dual sport rally and to maybe see some sidecar rigs because there is a sidecar rally going on in Morganton Ga.  Now i may be driving the truck to that one too.  Tough to get old!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:46:25 AM by bobrebos1 »
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Riding the Honda CB750 Chopper to North Carolina.....NOPE
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »

Ive had one guy tell me to suck up the pain and ride it there anyways but I dont know if thats the smartest thing to do.  Im getting an MRI on the shoulder later today and will go from there. 

This weekend (9-11th) I was going to ride my Guzzi to Two Wheels of Suches for the dual sport rally and to maybe see some sidecar rigs because there is a sidecar rally going on in Morganton Ga.  Now i may be driving the truck to that one too.  Tough to get old!

Good instincts. 
Yeah, gettin' old aint for the faint of heart.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
That's too bad - I was looking forward to a trip report!   :sad:

Take care of that rotator cuff - those things can turn nasty.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 12:50:32 PM »
Is it too late to swap it to a CB750A Hondamatic?   :tongue:

No sense in getting hurt more, riding bikes is dangerous enough with two working arms. Hope your surgery and recovery go well.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 05:21:34 AM »
I've had both my rotator cuffs done, either torn or detached ligaments. On both occasions they removed some of the collar bone to make more room for the ligament.
Keyhole surgery, but it took a year each for them to get back to anything like normal. Constant pain for the first 3 months which required prescription pain killers, plus lots of physio. I managed to get back on a bike I think after about 4-6 months.
Good luck, stick with the physio and push yourself through the pain, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 07:01:29 AM »
I agree with Stevex, it'll take 4-6 mo to get back to some normalcy after surgery.  I had rotator cuff surgery done last December and began physical therapy shortly thereafter.  In retrospect, the post surgery was much tougher than I had thought. I'd still go through it again if I injured my other arm. I could not continue to live with the pain and inability to use a limb that could be made useful again.  And, imho, I really don't think I would have regained full use of the arm without physical therapy after surgery.

Hey bobrebos1, I hope you're able to get your rotator cuff repaired.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
And, imho, I really don't think I would have regained full use of the arm without physical therapy after surgery.

Art

You won't. Years ago my FIL in his 50's at the time had his "rotor cuff" repaired and being the tough guy he thought was he skipped out on PT after only a few sessions and went back to work early to prove he was a company man. Now he cannot hardly lift his arm straight out and if he does don't bother to try and give him a cup of coffee because he'll drop it.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here