Author Topic: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread  (Read 63577 times)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Got it.  Understood.

As for diving, well now you know never to buddy with someone you don't know.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2015, 04:32:54 AM »
Yea, the internet forums only fuel the panic.  Having said that, I will preemtively change mine this winter.  My Calvin died  (popped a pump hose) in the left lane of 95 outside Baltimore. Dumb luck would have it there were no trucks or cars between me and the right shoulder 4 lanes away.  Not fun.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:42 AM »
Got it.  Understood.

As for diving, well now you know never to buddy with someone you don't know.

Absolutely, and I shouldn't have dove that trip anyway as I hadn't planned on it. No computer, rented everything but my mask/snorkel/fins. But I figured it was a relatively shallow resort dive and I knew I'd be fine. I was just shocked at how causal everyone else was. Actually I want even buddied with ANYONE and her "buddy" (husband) was no where to be found.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »
Yea, the internet forums only fuel the panic.  Having said that, I will preemtively change mine this winter.  My Calvin died  (popped a pump hose) in the left lane of 95 outside Baltimore. Dumb luck would have it there were no trucks or cars between me and the right shoulder 4 lanes away.  Not fun.

That's why I always think, "What's the worst thing that can happen?" when dealing with a known issue.  :smiley: I fix whatever it is as soon as I find out about it. It took maybe a couple of hours on the Norge. <shrug> Yes, it was soft and swollen. When would it have failed? Probably when I was in the left lane going 80 in rush hour traffic..  :wink:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »
I think the issue is whether or not we really KNOW it is an issue.

With only 1 (maybe 2) reports out of ~10k bikes, is it REALLY a problem? Or was ONE filter defective? Swollen isn't failed. Swollen isn't even a guarantee of a future failure.

With the Cal-Vin fuel hoses we've heard maybe a dozen reports, and THAT is out of how many bikes? Maybe 100 or 500?

The difference in percentage of reports per population is HUGE. I believe the Cal-Vin fuel hose swelling was a real problem.

I'm not convinced on the fuel filter. Though I DID eventually replace it on the Breva, and will eventually do so on the V7.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
I think the issue is whether or not we really KNOW it is an issue.

With only 1 (maybe 2) reports out of ~10k bikes, is it REALLY a problem? Or was ONE filter defective? Swollen isn't failed. Swollen isn't even a guarantee of a future failure.

With the Cal-Vin fuel hoses we've heard maybe a dozen reports, and THAT is out of how many bikes? Maybe 100 or 500?

The difference in percentage of reports per population is HUGE. I believe the Cal-Vin fuel hose swelling was a real problem.

I'm not convinced on the fuel filter. Though I DID eventually replace it on the Breva, and will eventually do so on the V7.

Sounds like a good reason to drink a few cold ones.  Let me know when you do, and I'll take a ride out.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »
Sounds like a good reason to drink a few cold ones.  Let me know when you do, and I'll take a ride out.

Probably this winter... like DEAD OF winter, once I take her off the road for that reason. That way I'm not rushed.

But you could always DRIVE out that day. And we can do yours another day.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »
Mike - I had the fuel pump out of my 2012 many times (adjusting the low fuel sensor).  You don't need buy a gasket.  It's a big heavy rubber thing.

Right on!

Not only is it fine to reuse, a new one is like $37.50
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
As to fuel filter---what is the logic of making the thing half plastic?  Maybe it is more durable than we fear, but I don't understand why you would design it that way in the first place. 

Thoughts?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
Most diesels, use clear so you can see the air in the part/line, usually a bad O-ring on the Mercedes.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2015, 08:12:18 AM »
Agostinis installed yesterday.  Holy Crap!  They're loud without the removable baffle!

They're also a little too quiet with the baffles...  Hmmm...

Has anyone cut any length off the baffle to try and alter the sound ??
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
Agostinis installed yesterday.  Holy Crap!  They're loud without the removable baffle!

They're also a little too quiet with the baffles...  Hmmm...

Has anyone cut any length off the baffle to try and alter the sound ??

That's why I went with the Arrows (after listening to King of Fleece's bike run at Hamlin Cycles). Quiet enough not to piss off the neighbours but loud enough to sound great riding around.

regards,

Gerry

2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »
Which Agostinis did you get?  I had the black ones on my Racer.  They were OK.  Did you order direct from Italy?

Black reverse cone megs.  Bought from AF1Racing.

(pics of my bike to come)
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Yup.  Those are the ones I had.  The script/signature will rust.

Interesting.  I wonder if they realize this.  The exhausts themselves are awesome sounding and the silky matte black finish on those (new) is really beautiful.  But I've only seen them new and haven't seen them after time on the road.  That's disappointing to hear the script would rust.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
The bodies are supposed to be stainless steel.  I'll be sure and report back if the Ago script oxidizes/rusts.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline vntgmx

• New Egg
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »
Black reverse cone megs.  Bought from AF1Racing.

(pics of my bike to come)

Nice choice!  Those were on my short list but I ended up going with the full 2:2 stainless from Todd at Guzzitech....The black Agos really go with the lines of the V7 imo...

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
Ok! The Agostinis have tunable sound!!

This afternoon I hacked 1-5/8" off of the 3-5/8" DB Killers and got a nice compromise in sound. A little more of what I wanted, but still lots quieter  than with them removed.

No popping on overrun, and the bike seems to run great!

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »

This afternoon I hacked 1-5/8" off of the 3-5/8" DB Killers and got a nice compromise in sound. A little more of what I wanted, but still lots quieter  than with them removed.

Hillbilly hop up  :grin:

Dusty

Mile High Guzzi

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
I say go w/ the sound level you like...but short shift out of the neighborhood.....I am respectful of others, but I gotta hear the music when alone....

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »
I say go w/ the sound level you like...but short shift out of the neighborhood.....I am respectful of others, but I gotta hear the music when alone....

Agreed!  That's why I had to put the baffles back in, but trimmed a bit!

:bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2015, 05:51:20 AM »
Looking good!  I do love the looks of those Agos.  Before the baffle surgery, with baffles in how did they compare to the stock?  Louder?  Quieter?

Pssst...your safety stickers are still on.   
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »
Looking good!  I do love the looks of those Agos.  Before the baffle surgery, with baffles in how did they compare to the stock?  Louder?  Quieter?

Agostinis with baffles in sound deeper/throatier than stock (and louder).  With baffles out they're not quite as deep sounding but are much louder.  I actually like the baffle-in sound a bit more...I feel like it better represents Guzzi.

To put it in other words, when I have the baffles out my wife notices from inside the house as I pull away.  ("You're bike sounds loud today.") 
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »

Original baffles in, deep tone sort of like turbo mufflers on a Chevy V8.  Volume only slightly louder than stock, but the low frequency sound really came through.  Very smooth and throaty sound.

With baffles removed, add in a little raspyness and a LOT of volume.  Like Sportster with drag pipes volume.  It was much louder than my Staintune-equipped Sport 1100, which is my benchmark for great sound at just the right volume.  It was just too loud and ostentatious for a V7.  When riding it with baffles removed, I felt like "one of those guys" that I bitch about.

Cutting the baffles allowed a little more volume and raspyness without being "too much".  I won't be embarrassed to ride through the neighborhood, now.  The bike sounds really good, and has a lot more "authority" to its note than you'd expect from a little pushrod 750.

I do have to say, though, that the stock exhaust had a nice little burble.  Just too big, heavy, and shiny for me.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
I do have to say, though, that the stock exhaust had a nice little burble.  Just too big, heavy, and shiny for me.
Not trying to turn this into an exhaust thread but, I like shiny pipes. I've had cabon fiber Termignonis - although they sounded good after a couple years they didn't look very good.
The Staintunes look fantastic to me, chrome and no rivets.
http://staintune.com.au/collections/moto-guzzi/products/moto-guzzi-v7-classic
Kirk

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
Yeah, the Staintunes are mighty fine.  I have them on my Sport 1100, and almost pulled the trigger for a set, instead of the Agostinis, for the V7.

Just wanted to try something different, and something local to Guzzi, so the Agostinis won out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:31:30 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
SNIP

I've always enjoyed the sound of the stock, and didn't really get why some folks seemed to think it was anemic, but I'm intrigued by your description of the baffle sound like a Chevy V8.  I have to agree that the stock are way too shiny for my tastes. 

Rocker and Loftness, Thanks for your observations vs. the stock.  Or maybe I shouldn't be thanking you.  I now may have to spring for a set of Agostinis!
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2015, 09:35:47 PM »
Put about 300 miles on the V7 Special today.  Left home about 0730 on a beautiful, clear 60-degree fall morning, and two hours later I was checking in over in Tulsa at Kinetic Playground, the service provider for Brookside Motorcycle Company, the Tulsa Guzzi/Aprilia/Triumph dealership.

I had emailed Donny at Kinetic, letting him know I thought I needed the new map, 352BV738.  His tech rolled my bike right in upon my arrival and got to work.  Downloaded the updated map and went through the EFI, then road tested it.  Charge was 1/2 hour labor, a bargain considering the good service.

After they were done with the service, I walked across the street and looked around at the new Triumphs and Guzzis on the floor at Brookside.  They have a pretty good inventory.  Mostly new bikes, but there is a black/silver GRiSO that qualifies for the $2,000 customer cash, if anybody is looking for one.

They had a V7 Special II, which I took the time to sit on.  Definitely has more relaxed seating.  Not huge, but noticeable reduction in knee angle.  I shifted through the transmission N-1-2-N.  Interesting.  The new transmission feels "normal"  (non-Guzzi normal).  It's got a stop at the bottom of 1st, and the throws are short and crisp, compared to the long "sliding" feeling of the 5-speed that I have.  The red tank and white/silver stripes look great.  As I've mentioned before, I'd really like to see a set of white Stone fenders on one of these new V7 Special II bikes.

The had an Audace and an Eldorado.  The Audace handlebars don't have enough pullback.  They put your wrists and elbow in a funny position.  Pegs seemed comfortable.  The bike "feels" porky.  Something about the matte paint makes the fuel tank look huge.  Then, I sat on the Eldo, and it just seemed "right".  I'd probably like the Custom's lower bars, but the seat and boards are really nice, and the glossy black paint looks a lot better on the bike, IMHO.  I want one!  Maybe in a couple years.  We'll see. 

On the ride over to Tulsa, I used US-412 the whole way, including the 75 mph Cherokee Turnpike.  Once out of F'ville, it was mostly 70 mph to 90 mph divided 4-lane.  The bike handled it flawlessly, save for a slightly annoying high frequency vibration between 4900 and 5100 rpm.  It was glass smooth at 4400-4600 rpm, and smoothed out again at 5400.  This is the fasted and longest I've ridden this bike, and I must say there is no reason why a V7 can't tour.  When I fueled up in Tulsa, the math came out to 51 mpg.  Not bad, considering the revs I was turning on the way over.

Donny did confirm that the old map was in my bike and he loaded the new one when they went through the EFI.  I noticed immediately that the off-idle performance was dramatically improved.  The bike has noticeably more torque at 1500 rpm with the new tune.  This means much less clutch slipping, happier walking speed clutch out parking lot maneuvers, and much easier riding in stop-and-go traffic !!!  Woo, Hoo !!! 

The bike also feels a little "looser", as in a little more willing to rev through 4000 rpm while shifting through the gears while accellerating away from stops.  I did not check the fuel economy, yet, for the ride home.  It will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference.  I'll check cold starts and cold performance in a day, or two.  But, I have no reason to believe it's not dramatically better.

The seat.  For me, it's a 250 mile seat.  And, that's not bad for a stocker.  I purposely left the AirHawk at home for the ride, in order to test the factory seat.  No problems on the 120 miles over to the dealer.  The ride home was a little longer, and by 150 miles, my butt was wanting a break.  I did have jeans on, and that's never good on a long ride, but overall I was pretty happy with the seat.  I still think it needs something better for long rides, though.

On the way home, I made a stop at the local BMW dealer and bought 4 liters of some 10w60 BMW synth oil that they have been stocking.  Now, I'm ready to torque the heads, set the valves, and change fluids!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:24:53 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:51 PM »
Funny, I missed you by a day.  Bought a V7R from Paul at Brookside on Friday.  He had a cool little V7 Scrambler out front, with white fenders...lol!  Thanks for this posting this thread...
Cheers!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
Yeah, the "Brookside Scrambler" was out there on display today.

Looks like it started as a leftover '13/'14 Stone in white.  They added yellow, trimmed the fenders, and added the new tail light.

Not bad looking.  Still needs an exhaust and some other "scrambler bits".

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
Re: Rocker59's V7 Special Threa
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2015, 03:53:46 AM »
Im fancying the idea of getting a v7 and doing a "Lemansish" theme with it . Just don't want to get into another 40-50hp bike and dropping $3k into the motor for 20hp. Went through that nightmare with a Thruxton.  :weiner:  But still like them though. A bit. Only if I could fit a v11 moter in that frame.... :bike-037:

02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here