Author Topic: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread  (Read 63615 times)

oldbike54

Re: Rocker59's V7 Special Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
Not often you get to say "I'm TWICE the man you are!", well, in a sense, since you're "concolita" ...

Uh , let's hope not  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Always got to be someone  :laugh:

Guilty...  :embarassed: :boozing:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »
Not often you get to say "I'm TWICE the man you are!", well, in a sense, since you're "concolita" ...

sincolita is a Mrs., by the way...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

sincolita

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »
I'm 240 lbs !!! 

My biggest complaint with the forks is the stiction in the first 1/4" of travel.  And, the compression damping seems a little harsh.

Shocks just feel all out of whack.

Hm. So I guess that means what works for you -- and for most healthy adult males -- won't necessarily work for me due to the size discrepancy. I hadn't considered that. Damn.

The discomfort in the ride is only part of the problem for me. I also feel like I'm harming the bike when traveling over terrible roads. My Ninja's suspension was so harsh I stood on the pegs about half the time just so I wouldn't lose a few teeth when the roads got bad, so I'm used to a rough ride, but I feel like the Ninja was made to withstand abuse (however unwittingly); the V7 is a finer machine that requires more care and respect. Since I plan to keep the V7 forever, it's really important to me that the bike doesn't rattle apart. Smoother travel while remaining seated is a happy consequence of the upgrade.

I was thinking of asking Todd at GuzziTech what he recommends for a rider my size on this bike since he's got a whole thread dedicated to research and advice on this. There are so many options, it's overwhelming. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing the work myself (limited tools/space/expertise) so I'll buy the parts and pay someone to do it, and want to make the right choice the first time.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »

What I meant to infer is that at 240 lbs, I think the V7 rides like a log wagon.  It must be real rough on someone half my weight !

I'm sure it's easily fixable for you with pieces which have adjustable rebound damping and lighter springs.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
What I meant to infer is that at 240 lbs, I think the V7 rides like a log wagon.  It must be real rough on someone half my weight !

I just thought of it as uh, FIRM...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

sincolita

« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
It is. Murderously rough. I thought I was just being a wuss. Thank you for the vindication.

I'm sure it's easily fixable for you with pieces which have adjustable rebound damping and lighter springs.
Thank goodness!

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
My biggest complaint with the forks is the stiction in the first 1/4" of travel.  And, the compression damping seems a little harsh.

Shocks just feel all out of whack.

Yep, in my experience every 'built to price point' motorcycle I've ever owned needed suspension work, both front and back. 

I've ridden the V7s a couple of times and have been trying to figure out why they appeal to me.  The other day it finally hit me - the V7 is very much like the Honda CB550 I owned back last century.  About the same size (the Honda is a little heavier), same level of performance (HP & 1/4 mile performance), and, not spectacular in any specific area but competent across many, and, just enough character to keep one engaged.  I loved that Honda, even rode it on a 1,500 mile trip with full camping gear tied on the back.  Unfortunately I had to sell it to get the money to add to the down payment on my first house. 

I've been looking at the special deals on the V7s at AF1 and have been telling myself "Don't do it" (although I MAY be able to squeeze one more into the garage).
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
sincolita is a Mrs., by the way...

I know that.   It (and the source of her screen name) is part of the joke .... "con-" is the opposite of "sin-"

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

sincolita

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
.... "con-" is the opposite of "sin-"

Yep. If I had a more ample rump, the lousy suspension wouldn't be so hard on the rest of me.  :laugh:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
Yep. If I had a more ample rump, the lousy suspension wouldn't be so hard on the rest of me.  :laugh:

That's really MORE data than I need ...  :laugh:

There's a lot of advantages in this world to being a big guy, and a few disadvantages.

One of the biggest areas of disadvantage is in the area of motorcycling.    When you're 260 - 300 pounds or so fully geared up, you have to be more careful about your choice of bike, suspension, and tires than a smaller person.   There's whole classes of motorcycles that are sub-optimum for me, that would be perfect for a person that grossed up in the flyweight class.

If I were half the size I am, I would be on a 250 - 500cc bike in a second, getting fantastic gas mileage, great tire mileage, a lighter, cheaper motorcycle, and still be able to run with any reasonable partner on a road ride anywhere ...

But alas, it is not to be.  Not a big issue, but still there ....

Lannis

sincolita

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
That's really MORE data than I need ...  :laugh:

There's a lot of advantages in this world to being a big guy, and a few disadvantages.

One of the biggest areas of disadvantage is in the area of motorcycling.    When you're 260 - 300 pounds or so fully geared up, you have to be more careful about your choice of bike, suspension, and tires than a smaller person.   There's whole classes of motorcycles that are sub-optimum for me, that would be perfect for a person that grossed up in the flyweight class.

If I were half the size I am, I would be on a 250 - 500cc bike in a second, getting fantastic gas mileage, great tire mileage, a lighter, cheaper motorcycle, and still be able to run with any reasonable partner on a road ride anywhere ...

But alas, it is not to be.  Not a big issue, but still there ....

Lannis

Thanks. I never considered it from that perspective, but it's true. When fellow riders remarked on the 'miraculous' speed, endurance and fuel efficiency of my little Ninja and how it did so well on long rides in a pack of much bigger bikes, my response was usually along the lines of, "Really? Look at me. This bike doesn't have to work very hard to perform well with only me on it."

I'll have to start comparing my fuel mileage on the V7 to the numbers I've seen here on WG. I'll never get a knee down in a corner or be an expert wrench, but I bet I can beat all you guys in spending the least money on gas and tires.  :cool:

oldbike54

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
Thanks. I never considered it from that perspective, but it's true. When fellow riders remarked on the 'miraculous' speed, endurance and fuel efficiency of my little Ninja and how it did so well on long rides in a pack of much bigger bikes, my response was usually along the lines of, "Really? Look at me. This bike doesn't have to work very hard to perform well with only me on it."

I'll have to start comparing my fuel mileage on the V7 to the numbers I've seen here on WG. I'll never get a knee down in a corner or be an expert wrench, but I bet I can beat all you guys in spending the least money on gas and tires.  :cool:

There is a reason why all pro level MC road racers and flat trackers are about Miss Sincolita's size  :laugh:

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2015, 01:42:15 PM »
I just thought of it as uh, FIRM...

Yes, and I'm probably using just a little Southern Hyperbole.

:bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
Just do it. Changing the shocks is easy and can be relatively cheap. Is there anyone here who's replaced them and not wished they did it earlier? I think it even makes the seat feel better!

My IKONs are a definite improvement.......b ut read my thread on removing V7 shocks. On some particular bikes it ain't that easy.
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »

Jenn and I went out for a ride on Monday... I was already at 220 miles on the V7, so I figured it would be smart to stop and gas up.

I filled up, calculated and got 49 mpg... not bad.

Jenn filled up, I calculated and got 58 mpg... bitch I told her, she just laughed.

Now granted, she's also shall we say more uh conservative with the throttle and I suppose that helps too, but MOSTLY I think it's the 100# less weight the Duc has to carry with her and the smaller more aerodynamic profile she makes on it.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
I'll never get a knee down in a corner or be an expert wrench, but I bet I can beat all you guys in spending the least money on gas and tires.  :cool:

And "not getting a knee down in a corner" is a GOOD thing on the street.   On the track, that's great stuff and the more you can hang it out the better, but on most streets, there aren't many places you can do that safely; diesel, antifreeze, pea gravel, hidden potholes, cars on the wrong side of the road, dogs jumping out of ditches ..... 

I don't try to keep up with people that are riding "too fast" in my opinion.    They're typically going faster than me NOT because they have skills in bike handling that I don't have, nor absolute bike performance issues, but that they are willing to take track-day-type risks on the public roads that I'm not willing to take.   I recognize that taking those risks doesn't make them a "Better" rider than me in any sense that I can recognize, and so my ego stays where it should, and I'll work on making the next half-million-miles as fun and satisfying and as wreck-free as the first half-million .... !

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:17:10 PM by Lannis »

sincolita

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »
Jenn and I went out for a ride on Monday... I was already at 220 miles on the V7, so I figured it would be smart to stop and gas up.

Jenn filled up, I calculated and got 58 mpg... bitch I told her, she just laughed.

Now granted, she's also shall we say more uh conservative with the throttle and I suppose that helps too, but MOSTLY I think it's the 100# less weight the Duc has to carry with her and the smaller more aerodynamic profile she makes on it.

Woo-hoo! Go Jenn! My hubby & I are looking forward to riding with you two.  :thumb:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »

...... and the smaller more aerodynamic profile she makes on it.

Aerodynamics!  So THAT'S why they're shaped like that ....  :laugh:   

Lannis

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Woo-hoo! Go Jenn! My hubby & I are looking forward to riding with you two.  :thumb:

Back at you two.

Actually, we want to pick your brain about the Wharton forest. We've explored it a little in our Jeep GC, but I just ordered a Wrangler (JKU) so we're looking forward to seeing more of it.  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

sincolita

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
Back at you two.

Actually, we want to pick your brain about the Wharton forest. We've explored it a little in our Jeep GC, but I just ordered a Wrangler (JKU) so we're looking forward to seeing more of it.  :thumb:

Congratulations! While two wheels on blacktop is my preference, getting 'lost' in the pines in a Wrangler is a very close second. The best advice I can give you is to bring a well-charged smart phone with Google Maps. As remote as it seems when you're out there seemingly in the middle of nowhere, Google Maps has about 70 percent of the trails mapped and the cell towers are close enough that you rarely lose service, so it's nearly impossible to actually get lost. Oh, and unless it's winter, bring bug repellent.  :wink:

And don't forget to visit Batsto Village: http://www.batstovillage.org/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:06:45 PM by sincolita »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
...I filled up, calculated and got 49 mpg... not bad.

Jenn filled up, I calculated and got 58 mpg... bitch I told her, she just laughed..

Yep.  No one believes the mileage a Ducati delivers.  My 821 does 47 - 52 mpg on the road, and it is not being ridden gently.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »
Congratulations! While two wheels on blacktop is my preference, getting 'lost' in the pines in a Wrangler is a very close second. The best advice I can give you is to bring a well-charged smart phone with Google Maps. As remote as it seems when you're out there seemingly in the middle of nowhere, Google Maps has about 70 percent of the trails mapped and the cell towers are close enough that you rarely lose service, so it's nearly impossible to actually get lost. Oh, and unless it's winter, bring bug repellent.  :wink:

And don't forget to visit Batsto Village: http://www.batstovillage.org/

Yeah we've run through the forest on some of the major dirt "roads" in the Grand Cherokee and I've been pleasantly surprised how much the Jeep's Nav system (Garmin?) has mapped. But I keep looking at a lot of the smaller side trails (many of which are mapped too) and thinking about where they might lead.

I keep a phone charger in the Jeep now and will likely do so with the wrangler so we can get a second view.

Batsto is one of the first places I found when we moved here a year ago. It (and the somewhat twisty side road the park entrance is off of) is part of two of my short (50) and long (100) mile loops when I get an hour or two to sneak away from the kids.  :thumb:

Yep.  No one believes the mileage a Ducati delivers.  My 821 does 47 - 52 mpg on the road, and it is not being ridden gently.

It does well with ME on it too, but nothing near Jenn's numbers. When I ride the Duc the mileage numbers are much closer to (the same as?) me on the V7 - high 40's to low 50's.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:37:57 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »

Funny, the best I've ever gotten with my M796 is 50 MPG.    I typically get 46 MPG.    Aside from me being a good bit heavier then Jenn, I think my throttle hand is also a bit heavier  :grin:

Sometime you'll are out, she'll have to ride it so we can see what kind of MPG that it is really capable of.

Now, back to Sincolita's harsh suspension.   You should definitely re-spring the for with lighter, progressive springs, and get quality (IKON, YSS, Progressive) shocks, also with springs designed for your lighter weight.    I think you'll find that the bike will ride a whole lot better over the bumps.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:58:46 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
This makes me want to scream.  Seriously.  No one, NO ONE, uses progressive springs.  And as far as the shocks go, you must've come off a Bonneville.  In fact, the whole statement screams of Bonnevillian influences.  We should start another thread for this and let Mike talk about his bike.

Mike can break this off if he wants. But Jay started riding a few years ago. In that time he's already had something like 30-40 bikes (though maybe half of them were projects or flippers).

NONE OF THEM (AFAIK) were Triumphs.

Mostly BMW, Guzzi, and Honda with new Ducati in the mix.

As for the shocks mentioned IIRC Harper's carries Progressives, Guzzitech carries (or carried YSS), and IKONs have been mentioned here not infrequently.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:55:11 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #175 on: October 18, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
This makes me want to scream.  Seriously.  No one, NO ONE, uses progressive springs.  And as far as the shocks go, you must've come off a Bonneville.  In fact, the whole statement screams of Bonnevillian influences.  We should start another thread for this and let Mike talk about his bike.

I merely suggested the progressive springs as they would soak up the bumps nicely.

I am certainly no expert on suspensions, but, at the very least, she needs lighter springs.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

oldbike54

« Reply #176 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
 WTH just happened here  :huh:

Dusty
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:14:18 PM by oldbike54 »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
I tried to save your thread Mike, but, well, it's lost now.

No worries.  I may split the off tomorrow, when I have time and access to a desktop.

Been a busy weekend with limited computer access.

Kicked some ass with my new Tennessee Walking Horse at the last horse show of the season in my area.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:34:00 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
"Keep the moderator confused" is my mantra.  I appear to have been successful.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I may not be quite as difficult as Rocker to confuse , but eventually ...

Dusty

Edit , congrats Mike  :thumb:

Dusty
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:28:35 PM by oldbike54 »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
Hmmm...  It doesn't look like the "Split Topic" option is available anymore.

Must've gone away with the upgrade.  I guess I haven't noticed, because I have so rarely used it.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here