General Category > General Discussion

What's your favorite cover song?

(1/16) > >>

cliffrod:
Im not talking about "best" or Grammy winning- even if it is- but what's your favorite cover version of a song?  There's a lot of music-oriented folks here and it's great to know what different people like and why.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Voodo Chile on Austin City Limits is awesome and has been my favorite for a long time, but I think my favorite one is this cover of Tom Petty's "Southern Accent" by The Steel Woods- ]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNZyBPai5Q/]It's such a great and honest personal interpretation of a good song.

Next...

poorBob:
I almost always prefer an original to a cover but there are exceptions.

Ray Wylie Hubbard is a stellar songwriter, absolutely fantastic BUT he does a terrific cover of James McMurtry's Choctaw Bingo.

Moto Vita:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on May 07, 2021, 09:12:21 PM ---Im not talking about "best" or Grammy winning- even if it is- but what's your favorite cover version of a song?  There's a lot of music-oriented folks here and it's great to know what different people like and why.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Voodo Chile on Austin City Limits is awesome and has been my favorite for a long time, but I think my favorite one is this cover of Tom Petty's "Southern Accent" by The Steel Woods- ]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNZyBPai5Q/]It's such a great and honest personal interpretation of a good song.

Next...

--- End quote ---

I prefer Johnny Cash' version, but then I'm partial to Johnny Cash.

fotoguzzi:
That's easy..Pretty Boy Floyd by Bob Dylan, (1980) best vocal performance I've heard Bob do.
From "Folkways a vision shared a tribute to a woods Guthrie and Ledbelly" the whole album is great.
You can find it on Spotify but there's no YouTube of this version, there's a lousy live version when BD was in Norway.

And second , Johnny Winter doing Highway 61 Revisited, i favor his version over the Hendrix cut.

jrt:
I thought Commander Cody wrote the song, but I just looked it up and it is quite a bit older.  I like (especially on road trips) Bill Kirchen's (live) version of 'Hot Rod Lincoln'.  It is a lot of fun.

But- "favorite" is going to depend on the day and the hour.  I have a lot of favorite everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version