Author Topic: The First "Wave".  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Pop

• Gosling
Re: The First "Wave".
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »
I generally wave at anything two or three wheeled. 80%+ get a wave back. The non-wavers tend to be a small percentage of H-D riders and young crotch rocket riders. With the H-d riders it seems the more "pirate" they are the less likely to wave. I do tend to get more waves overall on the T-3 compared to the Norge. Sometimes I think the T-3 has them perplexed as to what it is and they think the Norge is a BMW.
GliderJohn
What he said. The posers that think they are bad a...s I don't even bother. The ones that get me are the guys that will waive but look the other way. I haven't figured them out but they are on Harley's. Newer beamers and wings tend to be stuck up.
When it comes to brass tacks, as long as I am enjoying my ride, I don't care anymore.
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
And......the Metro's made it up the hill???   :grin:  Those are fun!  I still have my 2 stroke Elite.  I'm looking to get another Ruckus.  Ride a moped scooter the right and way and they're loads of fun.

If this is the Tom I think it is, Ruck asses are an Icon on your island.  Possibly the greatest number of two wheel vehicles there.  They make a lot of sense and a lot of cheap fun, as in more than 100 smiles per gallon.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 09:30:02 PM »
Sometimes when I'm with my dog (in the Subi) I still wave at bikes/trikes and other Subaru's.

BTW, in Minnesota all boaters wave when passing and so do landlubbers on their docks. it's MN Nice ..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »
Also, the guys with the ape hangers above their shoulders never wave back.
Do they dare let go to wave?
I was thinking the same thing!! :evil:

So was I. I just laughed so hard I snorted!  Thank you, I needed that. 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »
I've been mulling over this gesture for a while. I see a lot of riders from all over the world 'touring' Alaska and they have to pass through Yukon to get there. Here is my flawed conclusion:
Local Harley riders won't waive unless they recognize me. I'm the guy who is riding while they are hiding from the weather in their trucks. Harley riders from the south rarely wave but they are on Harley's so motor skills may be limited or the bike is too heavy to risk not having two hands on the controls. Adventure tourer's from North America will wave (often before me) whereas European's don't (ever). Folks on Spyders wave at anything that goes by. Kids on dirt bikes in the ditch love to be recognized and wave very enthusiastically when it happens.
Me; I wave. I waive without bias except to anyone on a Vincent or a Rudge... but I haven't run across that yet.
I also have a Jeep and have decided that the JK killed the club. Jeeps used to wave to each other all the time. Nowadays the ones who get-it are the ones who have accessorized their truck in some form. Mall crawlers don't see a connection at all.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 01:24:02 AM »
If this is the Tom I think it is, Ruck asses are an Icon on your island.  Possibly the greatest number of two wheel vehicles there.  They make a lot of sense and a lot of cheap fun, as in more than 100 smiles per gallon.

I should have kept mine.  I did some tweaking to it and got a top speed of 45 mph on the flats.  Great for shopping runs and bypassing backed up traffic.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:23 AM »
 Waving is an expression of joy from the waver , when the expression isn't well received and returned it just means the wavee is NOT happy and probably shouldn't be riding  :shocked: :evil:

Dusty

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
Waving is an expression of joy from the waver , when the expression isn't well received and returned it just means the wavee is NOT happy and probably shouldn't be riding  :shocked: :evil:

Dusty

Joy, yes!  Maybe the non-wavers have just started their daily therapy session, and haven't quite tapped into the joy yet.   :angry: :sad: :smiley: :laugh: :grin: :thumb:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:45 AM »
My name is Rick, and I wave to people on scooters... and trikes... motorcycles of course... pretty much anything you're out riding, I'll wave. Most wave back. The ones who I've found dont? #1, Harley guys, #2 BMW riders, #3 newbies who aren't yet comfortable taking a hand off the controls. That said, they learn, and eventually, they wave too.

Congrats to you and the hubby, always enjoy the ride.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
I wave at everything including bicycles, most wave back when I am on the Stelvio and a few percentage more don't when I am on the wife's MP3 scooter. I like to use her scoot when running errands around town. So much easier to park and get on and off of when making multiple stops. Not to mention its just plain fun to ride.   
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
 :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »
I normally wave to everybody, including scooters.  It obviously surprises many scooter riders.

My favorite scooter story was one day riding my local mountain, Angeles Crest Highway, on my BMW GSA, when I got to Nucomb's Ranch (eatery 28 miles up from the bottom) on the mountain there was a scooter club gathering of maybe 20 scoots.  On my way down the mountain, about only a mile from Nucomb's, I got a ticket for 70 in a 55.  Crap!  My mood killed, I start back down the mountain going about 50.  Suddenly, out of nowhere comes the scooter gang up behind and I was still in the mood from the ticket and I let every single one of them pass me (we share lanes here, so just move over and folks can pass you in the curves without going over the line). 

Talk about indignity, being passed by a hoard of scooters.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
Talk about indignity, being passed by a hoard of scooters.

You just wanted to see each, and every one 'cuz they're so dang cute!   :wink:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
Some scooters when ridden properly can "blow" pass any motorcycle on a mountain road.  Not so much the moped scooters but the ones that have a little larger engine like a Vespa 125, Honda Elite 250 or a BV500.   :grin:

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
Most people do "noddies" this side of the pond and I tend to nod everything with an engine and less than 3 wheels

When I had the Cali I took a perverse pleasure in nodding to the HD boys and being acknowledged but you could feel their confusion - "It looks like a HD but there's something not quite right with it" :evil: :evil:

Doesn't work with the B11 - I just tend to get ignored  :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline perter

• SP1000 owner since Aug 2015
  • New Egg
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
I'm from Denmark and when I took my license back in 1986, it was written in the theory book motorcycles are supposed to greet each other with a wave. I'm not sure if you could fail the test if you didn't wave, but at least it was considered good manners.

I still remember my first wave as a bike owner, I had just purchased a worn-out Honda CB350Four and was crossing a bridge in a major city when a rice-rocket pilot doing 100+km/hr waved at me... who I felt I was part of the gang now ;-)

Generally, people on bikes wave unless you're on a multilane road or you're doing turns/engaged clutch in a swing lane. There's tough a tendency that harley-riders don't wave at ricerockets and vice-versa.

It seems a Guzzi confuse riders though, I wave at everyone (learned from the theory book) and both Harley and rice rockets wave at me.

I live in a rual area and it's seen polite to wave at especially elderly people on the roadside, people you know etc. Same goes for people in boats, you lift the hand when you pass

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
Everyone waves back to me when I'm on the hack.  :grin:

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »

Me; I wave. I waive without bias except to anyone on a Vincent or a Rudge...

Right. Those you bail up and chat with for at least a couple of hours. That probably why you don't get to see many, they run out of time before they reach you.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm from Denmark and when I took my license back in 1986, it was written in the theory book motorcycles are supposed to greet each other with a wave. I'm not sure if you could fail the test if you didn't wave, but at least it was considered good manners.

I still remember my first wave as a bike owner, I had just purchased a worn-out Honda CB350Four and was crossing a bridge in a major city when a rice-rocket pilot doing 100+km/hr waved at me... who I felt I was part of the gang now ;-)

Generally, people on bikes wave unless you're on a multilane road or you're doing turns/engaged clutch in a swing lane. There's tough a tendency that harley-riders don't wave at ricerockets and vice-versa.

It seems a Guzzi confuse riders though, I wave at everyone (learned from the theory book) and both Harley and rice rockets wave at me.

I live in a rual area and it's seen polite to wave at especially elderly people on the roadside, people you know etc. Same goes for people in boats, you lift the hand when you pass
I live in a rural area with many Amish. The Amish children love when we beep the horns on the scooters. The Amish boys really like the V7. They pay no attention to the Calvin, I guess the cruiser riders ignore them.
I look like the village idiot, I will wave to everyone, and usually get one in return.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »
Right. Those you bail up and chat with for at least a couple of hours. That probably why you don't get to see many, they run out of time before they reach you.

:thumb:
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here