Author Topic: ABS plastics/Rifle fairing  (Read 524 times)

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
ABS plastics/Rifle fairing
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
I have a Rifle fairing that has seen some abuse. The fairing pockets which are the mounting points for the fairing are partially broken loose. I would like to reglue the pockets. Rifle says the original glue is Versilok, not available in small quantities like I would use and otherwise prohibitively expensive. I am considering using plumbing cement  made for ABS pipe. Anybody with experience want to chime in?

Brian
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:05:34 PM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: ABS plastics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:32:21 AM »
I successfully did some repairs with Abs cement. Couple of things to consider, it is most accurately a solvent weld process so both surfaces need to be softened for the process to work. After I set the original parts I mixed the abs cement with shaving of Abs stock to make a heavier paste to overlay the repair. Worked good for me to repair the fairing on my 03 ev
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: ABS plastics
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:10:39 PM »
Marine grade JB weld.

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: ABS plastics/Rifle fairing
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »
ABS glue around here comes in black, usually on the shelf and clear you have to order.  MEK was listed as the thinner.  Shaving the original part and dissolving in MEK will glue and color match. Whenever I glue ABS I give it a full day to dry before trying to put a second or third coat to build it up.  I did some tabs on a rear bodywork panel for my sons friend years ago.  Next guy who bought the bike dropped it and banged it up, the tabs never broke loose.   Many plastics are stamped with what they are made of so at least you might know what your up against when repairing them. 

Wildguzzi.com

Re: ABS plastics/Rifle fairing
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here