Author Topic: memory foam mattress  (Read 947 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
memory foam mattress
« on: January 26, 2022, 06:46:57 PM »
I ordered a new memory foam mattress on Monday, got it today, Wednesday.  :thumb: :thumb:

Our old foam mattress was from a big box store about 8-10 years ago.  I still find it very comfortable, but the wife said her back has been hurting her every morning.  So, I ordered a new one.
the old foam mattress was our first and it was a revelation in comfort from our box springs and regular mattress.

Took about a week or so to get used to it, but for us it was so much more comfortable.  The memory foam does form to your body, but that is what makes it so comfortable.
They aren't cheap, and probably don't last as long as a regular mattress, but for us the cost is worth it.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: memory foam mattress
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:11:15 PM »
I have a Temperpedic IIRR. It's a foam mattress.

Maybe there are better....It's very cold to lay on in the winter, wake up most days with a back ache and if I get up to (well you know for a minute or 3) the bed is stone cold again. Summer that coolness is nice, but still a back ache.

Is there a better version that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Maybe go back to a regular bed?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:56:20 PM »
I find the foam warm, never have a back ache.
they have different densities of foam, and I get the firmest. 
My mom bought a foam mattress one time and it was indeed terrible, but that was many years ago, before memory foam.

Mattresses are a shot in the dark, one size doesn't fill all.
Truth be told, when I was a young man, the wrong mattress wasn't a big thing, but the older I get, it's harder to get a full night's sleep.
I hope you find a mattress that allows you to get rest and support.

But, that's why some people buy Hondas, and some buy Moto Guzzi's.

I have never tried a Temperpedic.
My first was a Walmart knockoff.
My new is a Nectar bought directly from the manufacturer.  Time will tell.

I sleep on my side, not sure if that makes a difference, but the wife sleeps on her back and never had an issue until the last few months.
I will say we bought a brand name mattress set and kept about 2 years before we got rid of it.  Terrible mattress, as least for us. 

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
I went with the sleep number bed a few years ago.  We can adjust our own side for desired comfort. 

When I am in hotel rooms for work and travel I carry 3 inches of memory foam toppers to put on the hotel bed that are in a fitted sheet.  Makes a huge difference since the mattresses in most of the hotels I stay in are very firm. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 09:05:03 PM »
I've been looking for a mattress for the last 3 years.  I have one that's 10 years old that is so crowned that I switched for the old one in guest bed that's 30 years old.

I can't stand to sleep in a hot bed.  I keep the temp down to 65 just to sleep.   I'd like to find a good mattress, foam or otherwise, must be cool.  Both beds are platform beds. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 09:05:41 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:09:18 PM »
Old Head. When I say that it's cold to sleep on. I tried a blanket under me and my blankets on top. Better (but kept wadding up the under blanket). I looked for an insulating  mattress pad, not a plastic pad, but an insulating pad to go under the fitted sheet. No luck finding a "thin" not "pillow style" thick insulating pad. Closest I came was an electric pad, like an electric blanket, but for under you. Way more than I wanted to spend on it, or the electric bill.

Like mentioned. One mattress does not fit all. Nor does going to a mattress store and laying on one for 20 minutes. Nor does the return is not satisfied, normally a hassle to repack or expensive to return.

I'll be following this!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 11:00:06 PM »

Get a waterbed. Cool in the summer and warm in the Winter. Adjust the water to the firmness you want. Set the heater to what ever temp makes you happy! I unplug mine for the summers and plug it back in for winters. In the winter, I use an electric blanket. Warm water below you and a warm blanket above you. I haven't used the house heater in over 25 years! I do live in Florida though. Might be a challenge this coming weekend. Supposed to drop down to 31F!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 07:03:37 AM »
Old Head. When I say that it's cold to sleep on. I tried a blanket under me and my blankets on top. Better (but kept wadding up the under blanket). I looked for an insulating  mattress pad, not a plastic pad, but an insulating pad to go under the fitted sheet. No luck finding a "thin" not "pillow style" thick insulating pad. Closest I came was an electric pad, like an electric blanket, but for under you. Way more than I wanted to spend on it, or the electric bill.

Like mentioned. One mattress does not fit all. Nor does going to a mattress store and laying on one for 20 minutes. Nor does the return is not satisfied, normally a hassle to repack or expensive to return.

I'll be following this!
Tom

Flannel Sheet set.  Warm for the winter but can build up a static charge. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Redrider

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 07:20:02 AM »
I dated a girl with flannel sheets. That was a "Hot" relationship.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 08:03:00 AM »
I've been looking for a mattress for the last 3 years.  I have one that's 10 years old that is so crowned that I switched for the old one in guest bed that's 30 years old.

I can't stand to sleep in a hot bed.  I keep the temp down to 65 just to sleep.   I'd like to find a good mattress, foam or otherwise, must be cool.  Both beds are platform beds.

Ok, John.. Dorcia *is* the Princess and the Pea.  :smiley: We've tried several, including Temperpedic. We had it the longest, but she still complained. The answer is the Purple mattress. There are three different thicknesses. Number two was perfect for the princess.. and it checks your "not hot" box.
Not cheap. (Not Guzzi content)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 09:15:42 AM »
Well, I looked at Temperpedic, Casper, Purple, Helix, and host of other mattresses.
my criteria
 1 has to be affordable,                  Nectar included pillows, sheet set, mattress cover and 100 off, who knows if that was real or not
 2 firmer is better                          Nector is med-firm
 3 thicker is better                         Nector is 12"
 4 10+ year warranty on the foam  Nector is lifetime warranty, probably never use it, but longer warranty usually indicates better foam, time will tell.

I suspect that I will have to add a gel layer/firmer layer in the future as we aren't getting lighter and will need the extra support

I did like the purple, Helix, and there was one that had wrapped coils for additional support but these were just too much for me at this time.
The wife and I both like the memory foam, not everyone does.
the only negative of a foam mattress is the lack of bounce during, ............  intimate activities.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 10:40:35 AM »
 I remember when a mattress was always finished on both sides so you could flip it, increasing the useful life.  Now mattress companies "don't make em like that any more."  I find the prices some companies ask today for some foam rubber and springs astonishing.   

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
I use flannel sheets year round. In the summer, I feel they keep me feeling cooler than regular cotton sheets. This would be for a regular mattress, not a foam type. The foam to me is cooling in summer, but then again, I think it's too cool for winter in So. Cal.

Toom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:09 AM »
FWIW, Consumer Reports looked at foam mattresses last year, I believe.  The purple one was well rated- I don't remember what came out as 'best', but CR best is often 'best and least expensive'. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 09:19:52 PM »
Get a waterbed. Cool in the summer and warm in the Winter. Adjust the water to the firmness you want. Set the heater to what ever temp makes you happy! I unplug mine for the summers and plug it back in for winters. In the winter, I use an electric blanket. Warm water below you and a warm blanket above you. I haven't used the house heater in over 25 years! I do live in Florida though. Might be a challenge this coming weekend. Supposed to drop down to 31F!

I had a waterbed for 15 years.  Worked great.  Haven't seen them in many years.  The last move thirty years ago ruined the waterbed (sprung many leaks), so I ordered a mattress & bedroom suit for immediate delivery.  Still have both and still sleeping on the mattress (per above).
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 04:40:09 AM »

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 07:40:50 PM »
well, after a couple of nights, the wife approves.. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

this mattress is firmer than the old one, which is a good thing.  took close to 3 days for the mattress to fully plump out.
didn't notice any strong smells. which is much different than our first one.

Happy wife, happy life....

On to the next honey do....

Old head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here