Author Topic: mice living in my cylinder head  (Read 1355 times)

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
mice living in my cylinder head
« on: January 27, 2022, 10:43:33 PM »
was a little set back when I found this  , When I pulled the motor down I found excess use of silicone  and maybe it wasn't a neutral cure silicone and the acid has attacked the head , Dont Know. maybe just poor manufacture. . Been a heavy diesel mechanic for 45 years and come across gaskets that have been plastered  in some form of gunk too often, If you have good straight surfaces you dont need anything but a quality gasket unless the manufacturer calls for it.   MTBW   

baixar imagem do instagram

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:24:06 PM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: mice living in my cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 10:55:44 PM »
Interesting that the head with the gasket ring issue has the odd wear pattern in the combustion zone as well, that the other head does not.

That engine may have been running differently on one side for a long time, or had some manufacturing challenges, as you noted, in that head.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:57:48 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:02:58 PM »
was a little set back when I found this but have had a good look and will run it again hope doesnt create hot spots , When I pulled the motor down I found excess use of silicone  and maybe it wasn't a neutral cure silicone and the acid has attacked the head , Dont Know. maybe just poor manufacture. If it gives me trouble in the future will just have to replace it. Been a heavy diesel mechanic for 45 years and come across gaskets that have been plastered  in some form of gunk too often, If you have good straight surfaces you dont need anything but a quality gasket unless the manufacturer calls for it.   MTBW   

baixar imagem do instagram

Whats the history of the bike. Looks like a head thats sat in water for a while. Not sure I buy the neutral cure silicon thing as it's not really an issue on engine parts and the chamber shows the same type of damage also. Seems like any silicon used was to try and seal the damage that was already there. Same as the chamber itself and tell-tale signs of heavy corrosion and in the exhaust port as well. Personally I'd get the head gasket surface welded and machined flat again. The chamber damage is liveable with but the compression ring sealing surface not really.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:06:27 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:12:22 PM »
Yes it wouldnt be too much of an ordeal to weld and machine, you've talked me into it Damn. Ive had the bike for 15 years and 70000ks and never had a head off in that time, I imported the bike from power motors IL .who would know its history.
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:12:22 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 11:27:48 PM »
Yes it wouldnt be too much of an ordeal to weld and machine, you've talked me into it Damn. Ive had the bike for 15 years and 70000ks and never had a head off in that time, I imported the bike from power motors IL .who would know its history.

Yea good decision, you'll sleep better knowing it's done right:)

Ciao

Online Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 12:46:00 AM »
I thought there was real mice in there from your post subject.. I was going to advice you to hurry and get that thing on the dyno.. :evil:

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 07:11:03 AM »
Could have sat for a while in a damp environment, with the exhaust valve open in the one cylinder with the corrosion. Have had mice set up home in some of my old outboard motors. Mice pee the bed, making a very corrosive atmosphere where their nest is.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 07:27:35 AM »
Are the initials on the heads yours Raybear?  Maybe someone marked them before sending them to be worked on.

Mice built a nest in my truck heater fan box the other day.  When it got down to 20F and the dog kept fogging the windshield I had to clean it out.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 08:16:47 AM »
Would detonation do damage like that around the gasket? I know it can pit piston ring grooves.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 08:18:43 AM »
That looks as if it could be a bit of detonation (pre-ignition)? Did you notice any pinking from that cylinder?

Edit: Oops, someone else had the same thought at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:19:44 AM by Sye »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 09:22:38 AM »
Would detonation do damage like that around the gasket? I know it can pit piston ring grooves.

I look’s like that to me and I think improper use of silicone was a main contributing factor. Probly caused hot spots leading to pre ignition that lead to detonation that eroded the aluminum.
Might be worth measuring the rod bearing shells with a bail mike to see how hammered out they are
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:18:14 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »
must have pretty sharp…teeth? I know they get hungry
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 10:36:20 AM »

I would concur on the silicone sealant theory, silicone sealers give off acetic acid and may well have been the inital cause of corrosion. Moisture and lack of oxygen when sitting in storage and you have the perfect soup for the aluminum to degrade.My $.02  As per Pink Floyd........  "there's something in my head, but it's not me."

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 11:03:42 AM »
      I would concur on the silicone sealant theory, silicone sealers give off acetic acid and may well have been the inital cause of corrosion. Moisture and lack of oxygen when sitting in storage and you have the perfect soup for the aluminum to degrade.My $.02  As per Pink Floyd........  "there's something in my head, but it's not me."

Paul B :boozing:

Yep, they make a silicone for use around electrical stuff that either doesn’t have acetic acid or less of it. A small spot of corrosion on the head could lead to a series of unfortunate events.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 03:55:50 PM »
Could be detonation as its all inside the fire ring of the gasket and some around the guide and peeking out from under the valve seat, I just have to deal with it. Only on the right cylinder and nothing on the top of the piston which makes me think it happened before its last rebuild as it has cast bores  so not original for a 73, maybe the piston looked like the head so replaced it and only that right head gasket with the excess of silicone as if they were trying to help a pre existing problem. I know for a fact it had chrome bores originally because when I cleaned the sludge trap it was full of chrome. {Just Lovely, where do these people come from. Really)  and only one nice neat centre punch mark on the bung like factory. Hmm maybe they just replaced cylinders only and never removed crank. If only our bikes could talk to us.   Ray

73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 04:54:17 PM »
Could be detonation as its all inside the fire ring of the gasket and some around the guide and peeking out from under the valve seat, I just have to deal with it. Only on the right cylinder and nothing on the top of the piston which makes me think it happened before its last rebuild as it has cast bores  so not original for a 73, maybe the piston looked like the head so replaced it and only that right head gasket with the excess of silicone as if they were trying to help a pre existing problem. I know for a fact it had chrome bores originally because when I cleaned the sludge trap it was full of chrome. {Just Lovely, where do these people come from. Really)  and only one nice neat centre punch mark on the bung like factory. Hmm maybe they just replaced cylinders only and never removed crank. If only our bikes could talk to us.   Ray

I ruled out the detonation theory when I saw the same issues in the exhaust port. My bet is still on a bike left sitting with water in the cylinder. You'll also notice the damage is noticeably worse on the lower side of the head when fitted to the engine, ie the spark plug side. So piston at or near TDC and water sitting in the cylinder.

Ciao

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 05:00:06 PM »
Ray,     I know the Power brothers you got the bike from and may have seen your bike in N IL. They sold the shop & retired, one lived 15mi up the road by Rockford. He used to stop by my shop while out riding. Nice guys.
Most likely had LA Sleeve  inserts matched to pistons. What I did for 2 of my 700's, cheaper than Nic.
These guys are very competent wrenches, owned a Guzzi/Yamaha shop a long time. 
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 11:45:40 PM »
Appropriate thread title
Phil Irving 1947

Shame you haven’t got orig piston, my guess is it would be a little worse than Phil speaks of here
Hole as big as a shilling, he says elsewhere

Chuck posted a pic of a G5 that did that, don’t remember if we got a head shot but might be good comparo
I’ve definitely seen similar

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 12:07:06 AM »
I'm backing if you use a fine pick and pick away at the raised bubbles in the chamber with the pin holes in them and the others you'll find corrosion under the surface.

Ciao

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 01:50:24 AM »
  I have a head exactly like that , it came from a bike left outside for years before he sold it to me .
  Thing actually ran okay , it wasn't until I took it apart for some other work that I noticed it , most
  of the porosity wasn't visible because of the carbon build up . I'm suggesting it's not too big a deal , YMMV . Peter

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2022, 01:57:31 AM »
I dont think it will be too much of a problem , after all they are a very forgiving motor, what you see is all inside the gasket area. I did my apprenticeship on Detroit 2 stroke diesels and due to very quick expansion and contraction of a 2 stroke cracked cylinder heads between the valves were a weekly thing but this is far simpler than metal stitching that was allways given to the poor apprentice. Ill ship this one out to the head guys and sit back and wait
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 02:07:43 AM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2022, 03:16:13 AM »
I did my apprenticeship on Detroit 2 stroke diesels and due to very quick expansion and contraction of a 2 stroke cracked cylinder heads between the valves were a weekly thing .
Pics would be good, between valves on a 2 stroke.?
Eldo heads detonating around squish easier for my head.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 08:21:21 AM »
Pics would be good, between valves on a 2 stroke.?
Eldo heads detonating around squish easier for my head.

Diesel
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 08:30:34 AM »
I'm admittedly inexperienced with Guzzi metallurgy and CYL head manufacturing or problems, but that looks like an issue with the casting. Some of that pitting looks pretty deep. Aluminum termites?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2022, 08:36:33 AM »
That looks as if it could be a bit of detonation (pre-ignition)? Did you notice any pinking from that cylinder?

You realize that detonation and pre-ignition are NOT the same.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »
I ruled out the detonation theory when I saw the same issues in the exhaust port. My bet is still on a bike left sitting with water in the cylinder. You'll also notice the damage is noticeably worse on the lower side of the head when fitted to the engine, ie the spark plug side. So piston at or near TDC and water sitting in the cylinder.

Good points.

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2022, 09:45:55 AM »
You realize that detonation and pre-ignition are NOT the same.

I do NOW! 👍

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here