Author Topic: For anyone that's been waiting on Lafranconi mufflers to be back in stock...  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
...this was posted on Facebook, from MG Cycle:

We have some good news for Lafranconi fans - a Lafranconi production run is happening and mufflers are coming for 850 LeMans, LeMans II, CX100, T3/G5, Ambassador, Eldorado, and more. We already have waiting lists so the first sets in the door are sold - but now is the time to place your order to be sure to get one while you can. They will be trickling in over the next few weeks, so now is the time

Charlie

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
I feel I should order a set of the black ones just to have!

I'm sure a lot of people are very happy about this news  :thumb:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
  Would anyone have a price ?  Peter
   Lord knows few pipes sounded better on the overrun , specially on a Le Mans 2  :thumb:

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
I put a set of them on my 1000S big valve . Incredible. The good ole boy from Georgia that bought it said it sounded like a NASCAR stocker! He was delirious.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Wildguzzi.com

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
I put a set of them on my 1000S big valve . Incredible. The good ole boy from Georgia that bought it said it sounded like a NASCAR stocker! He was delirious.

I have a set on my california stone..  Can be a little loud at times... but MAN it sure sounds amazing!!!  And ya. The NASCAR reference comes up a lot. 
Paul B

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Is re jetting required?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  Would anyone have a price ?  Peter
   Lord knows few pipes sounded better on the overrun , specially on a Le Mans 2  :thumb:

You'll need to ask MG Cycle about that. Maybe they'll be the same price as the last time they were available, maybe they won't. Check it out here:  https://tinyurl.com/Lafranconi-mufflers
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:01:37 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
How do you mate those to the larger headers or the 1000s? Or are they not larger?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
My Lafranconis slipped right onto the 1000S pipes. Beautiful set. They had the whizzer tips. A quality piece of work.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
Thanks for the heads up Charlie!

Harry
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
A few years ago, I was able to get a set of Lafranconis in black for My Lemans CX100, I offer the following for anyone considering a set.

Pros; The look, fit and sound is glorious  :bow:

Cons; The satin black painted finish is not overly durable, I've read of many owners having them refinished in Ceramic or Jet Coat? etc to eliminate/prevent rust.
         Using O rings to seal the hot cross balance pipe was a ridiculous design. Upgrading to a higher heat spec Viton O ring will give you a few more months, but in the long run, they'll
         melt and vanish just like the original ones.  :evil:

fyi fwiw ymmv

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
A few years ago, I was able to get a set of Lafranconis in black for My Lemans CX100, I offer the following for anyone considering a set.

Pros; The look, fit and sound is glorious  :bow:

Cons; The satin black painted finish is not overly durable, I've read of many owners having them refinished in Ceramic or Jet Coat? etc to eliminate/prevent rust.
         Using O rings to seal the hot cross balance pipe was a ridiculous design. Upgrading to a higher heat spec Viton O ring will give you a few more months, but in the long run, they'll
         melt and vanish just like the original ones.  :evil:

fyi fwiw ymmv

Kelly

I was wondering about that balance pipe, thanks for the heads up. I’m guessing that powder coating those pipes is not an option?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
I've seen some chrome ones with that same design (the LaFranconi embossing) but not sure if they were factory or chromed later. They looked sharp, depends on bike I suppose. Probably chromes ones would look sharp on a 1000s

I don't believe Powder Coating is an option when it comes to exhaust (heat tolerance issues)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
I was wondering about that balance pipe, thanks for the heads up. I’m guessing that powder coating those pipes is not an option?

I don't know about powder coating with heat or any of the other finishes, but none of them sound like cheap options.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have them, other than Bubs (NLA), I think if you're going for period correct looking replacements they're the ones; but they do have a little bit of Italian engineering and design shortcomings to deal with.  :evil:

fwiw

Kelly
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:02:01 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
I've seen some chrome ones with that same design (the LaFranconi embossing) but not sure if they were factory or chromed later. They looked sharp, depends on bike I suppose. Probably chromes ones would look sharp on a 1000s
I don't believe Powder Coating is an option when it comes to exhaust (heat tolerance issues)

They do make high heat powdercoating just for exhaust pipes.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
I don't know about powder coating with heat or any of the other finishes, but none of them sound like cheap options.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have them, other than Bubs, I think if you're going for period correct looking replacements they're the ones; but they do have a little bit of Italian engineering and design shortcomings to deal with.  :evil:

fwiw

Kelly

I will contact a couple of the local powder coating outfits because I read that there are some high temp powder coating applications. Or I will just buy a couple of high temp BBQ rattle cans and give it a go. 

If I still had the original mufflers from the Lemans I would just keep them, but mine are shot and the LaFranconi's seem to have the best period look IMO.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
The reason LaFranconis look correct is because LaFranconi was the OEM supplier.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
They do make high heat powdercoating just for exhaust pipes.
Larry

Did not know that. Now I do!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
The reason LaFranconis look correct is because LaFranconi was the OEM supplier.

Yes, just wish they'd make them without the raised letters, but at this point I'll be glad to just get a pair.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
  Don't hold your breath about having home applied high temp paint ( bbq or brake caliper ) lasting very long , hours maybe at the headers and much longer on mufflers .
  And chrome plating , well by me the large muffler mounting flange doesn't enhance the appearance much YMMV and how much would plating in the US cost ?  Peter

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
  Don't hold your breath about having home applied high temp paint ( bbq or brake caliper ) lasting very long , hours maybe at the headers and much longer on mufflers .
  And chrome plating , well by me the large muffler mounting flange doesn't enhance the appearance much YMMV and how much would plating in the US cost ?  Peter

I did have good luck on automotive headders using the heat cure high heat paint. I think it was made by VHT but I could be wrong. Its a sticky gooey mess till they heat up, but seem to last.
Paul B

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
I think they should make those with the raises letters raw like dirt bikes, then a thin layer of high temp clear coat. I think a heavy coat may kill the resonance character, maybe that's why they sound good as is (thin coat) Not sure, just speculating. They are "competizione" after all  :azn:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:16:11 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
  The VHT paint is exactly what I used , the sheen soon faded on the headers , but it didn't peel off , so that's a good thing . Peter

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
  The VHT paint is exactly what I used , the sheen soon faded on the headers , but it didn't peel off , so that's a good thing . Peter

I made the mistake of getting over spray on my garage floor... It never dries without heat!!  I tracked that around for ages before I just grabbed a handful of sand and ground it into the floor, and it cleaned it up.. 
Paul B

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Ceracoating would possibly be the best to use...had some brake calipers redone with it and they are superb....very close to the original anodising ( ?) and hard wearing....as it's an American process there should be places not too far who can quote you...

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Here is a pic of the Lafranconi's on my Le Mans 850. These are about 25 years old, and are holding up well. 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:51:43 AM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Making VHT stick is all about prep...the pipes must be completely clean and dry. Folks use the same stuff on iron cylinders.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
Here is a photo of the Chrome variation I mentioned. This photo popped up in my Instagram - Maybe they are a special order, not sure.

Anyway, here they are:

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
I just clicked on the link again that Charlie posted above to MGCycle and looks like they do carry the chrome ones with the embossed letters. I didn't see those last time I clicked on it. I'm blind sometimes.. They also have prices on them now.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here