Author Topic: Rain Gear Recommendations for dry hands  (Read 2059 times)

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Rain Gear Recommendations for dry hands
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »
If you ride a motorcycle, eventually you are gonna get wet.

I gave up attempting to keep my hands dry about 45 years ago - and went with keeping them warm instead.  Grip heaters are wonderful.  Gloves will dry.

My feet are protected by a pair of good quality leather hiking boots, which I waterproof regularly.  In a protracted downpour I wear a pair of Belstaff gaiters.  They cover the boot from heel to toe, leaving the sole of the boot exposed, and extend up the leg to just below the knee.  They are elastisized at the top and fasten with a Velcro strip up the inside of the leg.  Remember to put them on BEFORE the rain pants.

For rain pants, I bought a good quality pair of gore-tex hiking over pants.  They are waterproof and they breathe.  They have a full length zipper on the outside of both legs.

I bought an Olympia rain jacket last summer - but it hasn't been tested by anything heavier than a short but intense shower yet.  So far, so good.  It has a hood that rolls up in the collar.  It doesn't stop raining when you get to your destination - at least it never did for me - and the hood helps to keep your head dry.

Whatever you end up with - go large with the sizing.  You're not making a fashion statement - you just want to stay warm and reasonably dry.

Also, an effort should be made to make your raingear easy to put on.  You're prolly gonna be stopped on the side of the road in a downpour struggling put it on.

And you just know that as soon as you are all buttoned up, you'll have to pee.

Cheers!

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
Take the truck.
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
I have a few basic approaches to keeping my hands dry when riding in wet weather.

1. Don't ride in the rain :-)
2. Multiple sets of gloves.
3. Thin latex gloves under my riding gloves. This is especially helpful when your gloves haven't dried out overnight on multiple day rides and fit easier under any glove in winter or summer riding. I also have a set of glove liners called sealskins. (Have socks too) These are great, have a microfiber lining, and are completely waterproof. They can get a bit warm in the summer but are completely waterproof. I've had both the gloves and socks for at least 8 years.

I've tried over the years to use waterproof gloves, but if you're in multiple days of pouring rain nothing will keep your gloves dry. This is the primary reason why I went for an inter liner.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:31:19 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »
I've only been looking for the same cure for 57 years. I think I've found it now. Motel, big glass of single malt in one hand and a good cigar in the other. at that point you DGAF!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 07:11:33 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »
I have a few basic approaches to keeping my hands dry when riding in wet weather.

1. Don't ride in the rain :-)
2. Multiple sets of gloves.
3. Thin latex gloves under my riding gloves. This is especially helpful when your gloves haven't dried out overnight on multiple day rides and fit easier under any glove in winter or summer riding. I also have a set of glove liners called sealskins. (Have socks too) These are great, have a microfiber lining, and are completely waterproof. They can get a bit warm in the summer but are completely waterproof. I've had both the gloves and socks for at least 8 years.

I've tried over the years to use waterproof gloves, but if you're in multiple days of pouring rain nothing will keep your gloves dry. This is the primary reason why I went for an inter liner.

I have ridden for days in the rain with my Gore-Tex gloves and stayed dry.  Nothing compares to certified Gore-Tex products IMO. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here