Author Topic: VIN plates  (Read 1684 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
VIN plates
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
In pursuit of the Eldovert project, I pulled the powder coated Eldo frame from its resting place of many years.  I noticed that I removed the VIN plate before I had the frame powder coated.  Unsurprisingly, I now cannot find the plate.  I did find the certificate of title, however.

There’s an eBay seller in France who offers blank Guzzi VIN plates for about $28.  The plate shown on his ebay ad is identical to the plate on my Eldo.  Unfortunately, I cannot read his description of the plate because I do not speak French.

Has anyone ever purchased one of these?  I’m tempted to send him the $28 and see what I get.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Re: VIN plates
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:32 PM »
Harpers is your friend...….

SERIAL NO. TAG (#13918523)

http://www.harpermoto.com/serial-no.-tag-13918523.html

Rivets are best but drive screws might work OK    https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-screws
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:03:18 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
Harper might also have the rivets. In regards to the French plates, I contacted him about two years ago to see if would be able to make exact replacement of one that he doesn't  offer, and we left it as he would make them if I sent him the exact dimensions and photos of one for him to replicate. I dropped the ball on that project, then he reached out after about a month to see if I still wanted it done. I said not at this time. Long story short, the guy communicated in English and seemed legit with the communication we had. Wish I had concrete feedback to give you, but that's what I've got. The guys eBay ID had a mint35.. something in it (found an old email)
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »
Moe's shop in CA also makes them for those. I think you need to send them the title or something.

Can't remember off the top of my head what their shop name is.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:43:10 PM »

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:22:03 PM »
Can't remember off the top of my head what their shop name is.
Cycle Garden Indio Calif (760) 972-4800
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
Is it Moe at Cycle Garden who offers the $20 deal?

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 10:11:49 PM »
Sounds like the way to go.  Can you send me a pm with the info I need to pay you?  What do you use for rivets?

Online e.cleven

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 07:32:38 AM »
I'm sure the old plate will appear after you have gotten the new one.
Good luck with the restoration.

Ride Safe.

Earl.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 02:20:22 PM »
Sounds like the way to go.  Can you send me a pm with the info I need to pay you?  What do you use for rivets?

The "rivets" can be purchased from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/91654A054

If you don't want to buy a baggie of 100, I'll send you six for free.
Charlie

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
     I don't know what the laws are in the US or the particular state you are in, but I know in Canada, it's a criminal offense to tamper/change in any way a VIN marking or plate.

Our DMV would go completely crazy at even the suggestion of making up your own VIN plates, even if everything was legit and on the up and up, I'm sure they'd have you jumping through hoops for a lifetime to get it approved, registered and on the road, bureaucracy can become a nightmare in the most innocent of circumstances.

With that in mind, and knowing that asking forgiveness is usually far easier than permission, I would offer the following thoughts.

If rivets are what is used from the factory, definitely go with rivets that look standard, Charlie's in the game, he would know what looks OEM.

I'd do a little antiquing to the plate before I put it on, ie, pencil graphite, grease, oil etc rubbed into it, possibly hit it with a light touch of steel wool or coarse sand paper, or run a nail across it in a few spots to give it that aged patina look an old plate would have.

I'm not sure who does your inspections to verify the VIN and get the paperwork to put it on the road; but you may regret it, if some overzealous DMV inspector notices a brand new shiny VIN plate on your old guzzi and decides to make your bike his pet project to impress their bosses.

If the inspector notices the new plate and mentions it, by all means be honest, but I wouldn't be offering that info unless asked directly, fwiw.

Good luck

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
PM sent.  As to the question of legality - what matters here is whether the VIN plate is removed and replaced for the purpose of accomplishing some kind of fraud, or whether it’s done for repair or restoration.  VIN plates on muscle cars, for example (which were in a visible location on the firewall) are routinely replaced as part of a thorough restoration.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
PM sent.  As to the question of legality - what matters here is whether the VIN plate is removed and replaced for the purpose of accomplishing some kind of fraud, or whether it’s done for repair or restoration.  VIN plates on muscle cars, for example (which were in a visible location on the firewall) are routinely replaced as part of a thorough restoration.

No PM or email received. Best to email me at: c.d.mullendore@att.net

The "rivets" (actually "drive nails") I use are exactly like the originals, other than they're stainless steel.

I've never once had an inspector even mention anything about a new VIN tag. I have had them threaten to not issue a title because the tag was worn to the point that it was illegible. I would definitely not "antique" a new plate to make it look old.

In any case, if it's old enough to have that type of VIN tag, then it's old enough to have "historic" plates. In many states you don't even have to get it inspected for those.
Charlie

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 06:30:13 AM »
Just sent another pm.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here