Author Topic: Oil leaking up cylinder head bolts  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Dave.T.

• New Egg
Oil leaking up cylinder head bolts
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:16 PM »
Hello all.
I have a 2007 750 breva that has been keeping me busy in the garage recently! The latest problem is a bit puzzling. Oil is leaking up the left cylinder head rear bolt. I have double checked and it is coming up the threads and filling up the hole in the top of the head allen bolt and then overflowing onto the engine. Any suggestions or previous experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Dave.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Oil leaking up cylinder head bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 02:37:07 PM »
To date Dave all the oily stud problems (and there have not been many of those) have been oil coming from other places and only appearing to be coming from the stud.

One I think did have a porous head. If this problem was a recent event I would have to rule that scenario out. 

More astute minds might have an answer.

Is the stud at the correct torque? Leaking gasket filling the tunnel up and blowing oil out the top? :undecided:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:38:58 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Dave.T.

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »
It's definitely coming up the cylinder head bolt and filling up the hole in the top of the bolt where the allen key goes. I cleaned the inside of the allen bolt and started the engine, there was some fizzing around the head stud inside the bolt then the hole in the head bolt filled up within about a minute. Everywhere else is perfectly clean and dry! I just thought I'd ask-didn't know if this was a known problem. I'll see if I can borrow a torque wrench and check the bolts.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »
Dave,

This issue is described in the book Guzziology by Dave Richardson.  It's a problem for smallblocks.

I gave a short version of his longer account in my Flickr essay on torquing the head bolts (see the last page, and double-click on pics for the words).  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/albums/72157627672086548

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline rayray

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:44:14 PM »
Dear Dave T . I am having exactly the same problem Mine is hrs front outermost bolt. The cap recess fills with oil and overflows. Gave also had it spitting oil when hot. How did you fix it?
Was it the o ring on the base gasket? That would be my guess.
If the object of your life is worthy enough,
And your perception of it sufficiently clear,
You shall not lack the steadfastness
with which to achieve it.
(Cobden)

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
Hello all.
I have a 2007 750 breva that has been keeping me busy in the garage recently! The latest problem is a bit puzzling. Oil is leaking up the left cylinder head rear bolt. I have double checked and it is coming up the threads and filling up the hole in the top of the head allen bolt and then overflowing onto the engine. Any suggestions or previous experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Dave.

I had the same problem with mine. Tom Newell, Brisbane Guzzi guru told me to wait overnight, so the engine is stone cold, remove the allen nut, clean it and the head stud as best you can, coat the thread of the allen nut with a liberal dose of loctite and torque it up to specs. (This is the tricky part,  torquing the allen nut, you cant do it with an allen key. i had to buy a hex socket of the correct size to fit on my torque wrench.) You don't need to loosen any of the other nuts or bolts.

I did as he said and the leak stopped. Easy peasy! No more leaking 3000kms later.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
I have the vague memory that there was an o-ring on 1 (one) of the studs, but I may be mistaken, there does not appear to be such in the parts manuals.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »
I lightly coat o-rings, etc. with Curil T. Also coat both sides of paper gaskets, and other items with any form of gasket or mating surfaces. Like brill cream, a <very> little will do you. When doing metal on Metal Curil K2 is also good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:19:02 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here