Author Topic: Kick Stand Question 1983 SP1000  (Read 2545 times)

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
Re: Kick Stand Question 1983 SP1000
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »
In the MG Cycle website they also have listed a mid mount kit. accompanying pictures show this bracket as part of the kit installed on a G5. Maybe not as distinct a picture of the bracket but hopefully will give you a better idea of the end result.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=5094

Thanks!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
In the MG Cycle website they also have listed a mid mount kit. accompanying pictures show this bracket as part of the kit installed on a G5. Maybe not as distinct a picture of the bracket but hopefully will give you a better idea of the end result.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=5094

Mid mount stand on my 1000S is not much better IMO. The bike has to be tilted to the right to deploy but you can easily move it out from the seated position but you have to get it moving then tilt the bike to the right until it clears the ground then shift the bike to the left.  Most of the time on either the S or the LeMans or CX  I just get off the bike and put them on the center stand.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 11:38:07 AM »
Mid mount stand on my 1000S is not much better IMO. The bike has to be tilted to the right to deploy but you can easily move it out from the seated position but you have to get it moving then tilt the bike to the right until it clears the ground then shift the bike to the left.  Most of the time on either the S or the LeMans or CX  I just get off the bike and put them on the center stand.

Me, too. I found I had to jack my bike up one full inch to allow the side stand to be deployed while the bike was held vertical on my lift. Here is a composite photo I made to see the effect of shortening the stand by that amount:

(There is an explanation at the bottom.)

Still not shortened rhough.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:00:26 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »
I had an 850-T from August, 1989 to January 1990 with that sidestand. I traded it in on a still new '87 SPII, again with that sidestand.  Still have it. With the lowers on the bike you can't put the side stand down with your foot because your shin doesn't hinge forward in the middle.
It is singularly the worst side stand on any bike I have ever had and probably haven't used it three times in the past 10 years Instead I always go for the center stand.
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2022, 12:55:32 PM »

I think that is the path that I have chosen, I get it down until it  touches, lay the bike over on it, then roll back just a bit to let it settle in.  Then it is secure enough that I can get my arthritic butt off, then throw it on the side stand.

Thanks!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
Here's the set-up on my SP. Same as on many Cali's, T3 etc. Easy to deploy and retract from the saddle, does not interfere with center stand deployment etc. It may be a tad unsightly but in my case I opted for function over form.
Steve M

Offline Bull Tahr

• New Egg
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2022, 04:17:35 AM »
My 1100 Sport doesn't have a centre stand much to my dismay.......... And it does lean over a LOT on the side stand, interesting to get on and onto the side stand on all but dead flat ground! Thinking about at least welding another inch or 2 into the leg......... Not sure what else to do.....I got a "Chock" stand for in the shed at least.............. ........ 
Utrinque Paratus

On the Face: Dusty Visor Motorcycles

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
Here's the set-up on my SP. Same as on many Cali's, T3 etc. Easy to deploy and retract from the saddle, does not interfere with center stand deployment etc. It may be a tad unsightly but in my case I opted for function over form.
Steve M

That doesn't look bad at all.
Cyclehoarders Garage
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2022, 07:27:14 AM »
Steve M

Steve, that's a good looking SP.  To my eye, the lowers improve (hide?) the aesthetics of the touring side stand.  But its hard to beat the function of that stand....plus, if you're riding you are not looking at the stand. 

My experience with the modified Brown is consistent with what others have said above, with possibly the exception that it keeps the bike too upright.  On my LM III, the lean angle on the stand seems about right.  Possibly it is differences in tire/suspension height that is causing the lean angle variations.  The modified Brown stands produced by Boxerworks are made using purpose built welding jigs and are consistent with regard to geometry.

The mid mount stand on my SP III requires a notable lean to the right so it clears the ground when deploying and retracting, something I do not enjoy with the bike loaded for touring and/or pillion onboard.

I'd say there is no perfect solution, though I think the Cal/touring stand works well if you can reach it and are not bothered by its bulk and the modified Brown stand works well if you are not bothered by the fact that it must be deployed before raising the bike onto the center stand (and, also, not bothered by its price). 

Scott
Athens, GA

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 07:30:49 AM by SPScottNT »

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:46 PM »
I just had a welder shorten my mid-mount kickstand, the one from MG Cycle mentioned earlier. I showed him what to remove with some red tape, like this:

The total section to remove was about 7/8 of an inch. I discussed the angles of the two cuts with him, but his results were not exactly what I intended:

On the whole it seems acceptable.

The lean angle to the left is a little alarming, but it would take a serious pull to bring the bike over on its side. The kickstand and the center stand do not interfere with each other:

I'm looking forward to some exciting new capabilities, like being able to park at the side of a country road, parallel to the edge!

The welder charged me 35 dollars.

Moto
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:41:15 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2022, 03:55:09 PM »

For a mid-mount stand on a budget, MG Cycle offers (currently out of stock) this bracket. One reuses their stand "leg" and springs. Note that there are two spring anchor positions - one for self-retracting and the other the stand stays down until the rider puts it up.
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=5093

Glad to see  the current version  of the bracket allows 2 choices of springs placement.  The earlier ones did not.

I would sure like to see how that works. I had to replace my stock bracket as it had bent enough to really scare me. But the addition of this 2nd anchor does not work like described. One anchor behind the pivot bolt is what came stock on the Mille. That works like before. You raise the bike and it retracts. Now I set it up on the other anchor that is in front of the pivot bolt and it stays down. I retract it and it just immediately extends back down. So I do not figure how the 2nd pivot anchor is supposed to work. It sure doesn't for me and my bike came with that exact set up sans the 2nd anchor on the plate. Anybody out there who has this set up and tell me how to make my stand stay in place after picking the bike up?
The only good news for me is my height. I am 6'5" with 36" inseams so I can easily get my leg over the bike while is is on the side stand.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2022, 01:37:59 PM »

I would sure like to see how that works. I had to replace my stock bracket as it had bent enough to really scare me. But the addition of this 2nd anchor does not work like described. One anchor behind the pivot bolt is what came stock on the Mille. That works like before. You raise the bike and it retracts. Now I set it up on the other anchor that is in front of the pivot bolt and it stays down. I retract it and it just immediately extends back down. So I do not figure how the 2nd pivot anchor is supposed to work. It sure doesn't for me and my bike came with that exact set up sans the 2nd anchor on the plate. Anybody out there who has this set up and tell me how to make my stand stay in place after picking the bike up?
The only good news for me is my height. I am 6'5" with 36" inseams so I can easily get my leg over the bike while is is on the side stand.

I still would have bought this plate as my previous stock one was bent 10-15º lowering the bike precipitously. I can use the original anchor and it works like the stock Mille. It retracts as soon as I lift the bike.

But some have said this plate with the 2nd pivot anchor will not automatically retract and allow the rider to retract the side stand using their foot. This 2nd additional anchor point as I have tried to describe does not work that way. It stays in the standing position. I can move the stand all the way up under the center stand it let it go. The stand immediately pivots back into the full standing position. I have tried to explain why this is happening. I want to thank Triple Jim for helping me understand what is wrong that the stand will not stay retracted using the 2nd additional anchor pivot.

Why one anchor pivot on this  center stand bracket does not work correctly.

Below is a photo of the side stand in a vise. The springs are just sitting on there loose(one of which is upside down).  And you are looking at this as if you are on the right side of the bike looking under the bike and looking where the bracket is attached to the bolts that hold it to the bike. The pivot bolt (with white tape on it) is clearly above the "new improved anchor" that supposedly allows the stand to not automatically retract. When I attach the springs in this position I cannot get it to stay retracted. As soon as I let loose of the side stand it immediately pulls the stand back into the upright position.

If I move the plate that the springs are attached to and move it to the rear original Mille anchor point the side stand will retract immediately when I lift the bike off the stand.

Note: The new spring anchor point, being lower than the pivot bolt, clearly tries to  lower the stand when it's in the up position.  If the anchor point were higher, then as the stand is retracted, at some point in the middle of the motion  the spring link would cross the pivot bolt and start pulling the stand up. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:54:55 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
... Why one anchor pivot on this  center stand bracket does not work correctly.

Obviously, it must work somehow. Otherwise, why was it manufactured?

Evidently, it requires two springs, one attached to each anchor point. If you look at where those two springs would lie when the stand is retracted and extended, it seems clear that only one spring would exert a torque at each of those two positions, the other being aligned more or less in a straight line with the pivot.

The spring at the original anchor point holds the stand in the retracted position, while the spring at the new anchor point holds it in the extended position.

It seems likely that different springs are needed for this arrangement.* The t-bone spring holder would not be used.

It's not clear that MG Cycle understands this, judging by their posting. Perhaps a look at a German site would clarify.

Moto

* [EDIT] Probably two of the original single springs for the T3, etc., Part number: 14434000, or this spring, Part number: 19434000, or even one of each (!) might do. Those are both at MG Cycle.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:21:52 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2022, 04:44:54 PM »
No need to say thanks, RedRider.

If anyone is considering using the two spring setup that I described, it might be worth considering that this would be illegal under modern regulations. It's a no-no to have a non-self-retracting kickstand unless there is an associated ignition cut-out, I understand. This may be the reason that the vendors do not mention how this plate was designed to be used.

Edit -- this is all based on the presumption that my long distance diagnosis is correct. There could be something wacky about the poster's kickstand arm or frame. Don't know.

Moto
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 04:52:07 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »
Just to throw a morsel of an idea into the ring.. for the bikes that lean too much. A hockey puck on bottom of a sidestand works great to add an inch and sure footing. I attach with couple small holes in foot and self tapping screws. Maybe would hit exhaust? I dunno. Works on adv bikes
1994 California 1100

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2022, 08:45:59 AM »

Thanks!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »
just wondering how it works/looks when it's retracted up against the exhaust.
I bought the MG mid mount stand for my SP this summer. When it's retracted, it's stop position is determined by the stand plate, the stand's leg does not contact anything. You can file the stop to raise the retracted position of the leg if necessary.

I find that the MG side stand props up the SP just right, using the stock size tires. My only (minor) complaint is that when deploying the stand, it is necessary to tilt the bike slightly to the opposite side to allow the stand to swing past the ground to it's fully deployed position. After a few uses I now don't even think about it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:58:00 PM by berniebee »

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2022, 02:56:51 PM »
I bought the MG mid mount stand for my SP this summer. When it's retracted, it's stop position is determined by the stand plate, the stand's leg does not contact anything. You can file the stop to raise the retracted position of the leg if necessary.

I find that the MG side stand props up the SP just right, using the stock size tires. My only (minor) complaint is that when deploying the stand, it is necessary to tilt the bike slightly to the opposite side to allow the stand to swing past the ground to it's fully deployed position. After a few uses I now don't even think about it.

Geat info thanks!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here