Author Topic: 1976 Lemans Project  (Read 23349 times)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
1976 Lemans Project
« on: January 31, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
I picked up this basket case from a friend of mine about two years ago and I have been slowly putting it back together. While I have restored my CX there are clearly some differences between the two so I'm flying kind of blind on some of this work. The bike shows 15,000 miles on the clock, but it has been sitting for many years in south Florida in a less than ideal environment. Evidently the wrist pin lost the clip, probably lost compression and it was shoved in a corner for who knows how long. I have one before photo of the project:

This is the condition of the parts when I picket everything up.

The scored cylinder after it was bored out one over. It might have been OK, but I picked up a set of barrels and matching pistons as a back up and just got them back today from the machine shop. The shop measured everything and they said they were OK so I'm going with those parts.

About six months ago I picked up all the parts from the powder coater and everything is packed away until the engine is done and I can start putting it back together. I would have preferred to have it all painted but I couldn't find someone locally who could do the work. Of course, a little time later I found someone but I'm not going to have it stripped and painted.

The painted parts:

The seat that I ordered from Gutsibits back in November finally arrived this week and it is a very good reproduction.

I purchased a bench top vapor blaster for the small parts:

The engine, transmission and final drive have all been vapor blasted but I'm waiting for a reground cam from Raceco to finish up the engine which won't arrive until sometime in February and then I can start putting the bike back together.The black Lafranconi's which I have on order through four or five sources; whoever gets them first will get my order. The original mufflers, which I have are just too rusted to consider using. I do have new fork tubes, but I'm on the fence with either stock or FAC's. I'd rather go with the FAC's.

I have to get Greg Bender to make up the harness, and while I have some new handlebar switches,  I'm going to go with after market switches because I will be using this bike instead of parking it in a corner.  If I want to show the bike I'll just swap them out for the period parts.  The stash didn't come with a stator or rotor so those parts have to be sourced from the usual suppliers and I'm sure there are other parts that I'm missing.

Fortunately, I didn't pay that much for the project so I'm OK with where it's going so far in terms of money.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: 1976 Lemans Project
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.
Charlie

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
:thumb: :thumb:

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Charlie, thanks. There are just a handful of parts that I'm not sure about and when I get to those items I'll snap some photo's.  The parts book helps but it doesn't fill in all the details.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »

Man, this is gonna be a gorgeous restoration.  Nice work so far.  Was the original color the Ice Blue for this one...? 

In the first shot of the coated frame I thought that the swing arm pivot thread may have been coated as well, happened to me on one LeMans project some years ago...  the coater masked off everything BUT that thread...!  :rolleyes:

I have that tap if you need it to chase the threads.

Well, good on ya for saving this one blackcat, just wow.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
 :popcorn:  :thumb:

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 10:50:09 PM »
Man, this is gonna be a gorgeous restoration.  Nice work so far.  Was the original color the Ice Blue for this one...? 

In the first shot of the coated frame I thought that the swing arm pivot thread may have been coated as well, happened to me on one LeMans project some years ago...  the coater masked off everything BUT that thread...!  :rolleyes:

I have that tap if you need it to chase the threads.

Well, good on ya for saving this one blackcat, just wow.

Best,
Rob

Rob, I’ll have to look at the swing arm, the PC’er did put plugs in everything but I’ll double check.  The painter did a good job but there are a couple of spots on the top of the side panels that have to be re-shot. Fortunately I have some other stuff that has to be re-shot  so I’ll get him to do that work then.

It was blue, I scratched it up just to make sure because the title doesn’t have a color.  Thanks, it is pretty.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 05:43:25 PM »
 Nice. I recently completed a similar resto on a 77 ice blue, I put mine back to as close to factory stock as I could, only LaFranconi mufflers and braided lines away from stock.

Any questions feel free to send me a msg.

With your carbs, after vapour blasting. If your not going to paint them (you can get some good alloy looking paint), make sure you at least paint the welsh plug on the top (blind end of the pivot arm) and the little vertical slide guide. These are steel and will rust fairly quickly looking shabby.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
That color would be my choice. Very nice!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 04:30:31 AM »
Nice work BC !

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Nice. I recently completed a similar resto on a 77 ice blue, I put mine back to as close to factory stock as I could, only LaFranconi mufflers and braided lines away from stock.

Any questions feel free to send me a msg.

With your carbs, after vapour blasting. If your not going to paint them (you can get some good alloy looking paint), make sure you at least paint the welsh plug on the top (blind end of the pivot arm) and the little vertical slide guide. These are steel and will rust fairly quickly looking shabby.

Yes, I'm going to go with the black LaFranconi's and probably will go with the braided brake lines but I'm not going to keep the linked brakes; I will keep the proportioning valve so I can easily hook up the rear brake switch.

No, the carbs are just getting blasted with no paint. They are sprayed down now to keep them from rusting but I will paint up those spots as you suggested.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
Nice work BC !

Yeah, I'm hoping it all comes out as planned. I'm sure that Canuck's bike are better than what I can do, but I'll be happy to see it all together and running.

I was hoping that Raceco/Amedeo would have the cam back to me soon but he said it looked like the end of the month. The engine didn't come with a flywheel, so I'm installing one that I've had on the shelf for awhile and of course there are no marks for where to install the flywheel and I don't want to remark the flywheel later. If it wasn't for that I'd start putting the engine/transmission together and get it all mounted up on the frame. It has been sitting apart for many years, so I guess a few more months won't make a difference.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »
Yes, I'm going to go with the black LaFranconi's and probably will go with the braided brake lines but I'm not going to keep the linked brakes; I will keep the proportioning valve so I can easily hook up the rear brake switch.

No, the carbs are just getting blasted with no paint. They are sprayed down now to keep them from rusting but I will paint up those spots as you suggested.

If you want to ditch the splitter valve (its not proportioning on the Lemans - believe that came in for the Mk 3??) you can get an slim intergrated banjo like the below - will save you a bit on your brake lines as well.

These will fit on the rear caliper - the larger hex style with the 2 spade terminals will fowl on the frame.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1049#prettyPhoto

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Fun project, watching this now!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »
If you want to ditch the splitter valve (its not proportioning on the Lemans - believe that came in for the Mk 3??) you can get an slim intergrated banjo like the below - will save you a bit on your brake lines as well.

These will fit on the rear caliper - the larger hex style with the 2 spade terminals will fowl on the frame.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1049#prettyPhoto

Oh it's a proportioning valve, I didn't know that.  I will have to buy a rear brake master cylinder as there isn't one in this pile of parts, and I happen to have one of those switches but thought that it wouldn't work with the side cover panel.

Where exactly does the washer go on the bottom stem? underneath the rubber cover and which side is up?

Just getting setup to install the races and yes, I have greased everything up before installation. Should they be seated flush or recessed?

This is probably a stupid question, but is there suppose to be a dent in the headlight holder?  I'm sure there isn't but it is a perfect dent. MG Cycle sells replacements but the spot welds look rather large compared to these.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »
Where exactly does the washer go on the bottom stem? underneath the rubber cover and which side is up?

Just getting setup to install the races and yes, I have greased everything up before installation. Should they be seated flush or recessed?

This is probably a stupid question, but is there suppose to be a dent in the headlight holder?  I'm sure there isn't but it is a perfect dent. MG Cycle sells replacements but the spot welds look rather large compared to these.

The rubber seal goes edges upward like a cup, the metal washer goes the opposite as shown in the second photo - step down to keep the rubber seal in place.

Drive the outer races of the bearings in until they bottom. IIRC, on a Tonti that is flush.

The dent in the headlight holder is there to clear the steering lock.
Charlie

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 10:16:07 PM »
Wow Blackcat - that looks great.  I smiled at all the parts laid out but said "Wow!" when I got the ice blue paint photo.

Also love the attention to detail in the queries and response - that dent is to clear the steering damper.   :thumb:

Had a big Healey wrist pin drift like that on the way to the vintage races at Laguna Seca.  It would smoke like crazy pulling away from a stop light - and we were driving Hwy1.  A real oil pump! 
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »
Thanks for the information. Glad that I don't have to buy repo headlight brackets so I polished them up this morning and they are good to go.  I purchased one of these tools to install the steering stem bearing, probably other ways to do this but I'm sure it will come in handy down the line as I eventually need to take the CX apart as the frame has seen better days. It was powder coated by Steve Ford from Parts is Parts over 20 years ago and it's showing it's age.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-steering-stem-bearing-installer-p
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motorad64

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »
Terrific project!  Love the color, as well.   Steering bearings flush, as Charlie said.   Only a few steps ahead of you on mine.

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 11:36:23 PM »
Terrific project!  Love the color, as well.   Steering bearings flush, as Charlie said.   Only a few steps ahead of you on mine.

The bottom races are in a bit further than flush, there is a bung/lip/recess that they sit against, bang them in till they are home

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »
Got the forks rebuilt and the fairing temporarily in place.   It seems to me that the best way to mount this fairing is to install the brackets and wind screen before mounting, then slip the brackets between the headlight mounting bolts.  Trying to get the fairing and windscreen mounted with the brackets on the headlight is very difficult.  And is there a source for rubber washers?  The ones that I have are all dry rotted.

I still dislike that headlight but I guess it's sort of growing on me, I'd still like to find a Euro headlight.

At some point I'll have to send the clocks out for new bezels. I have changed those on my Norton but the edges are not seen on those clocks, these are too difficult for a clean job by an amateur.

The cam is on the way from Raceco, but unfortunately it maybe awhile until I can get back to finishing up the engine.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »
That's the way I mount the fairing: bracket to fairing first, then slip onto headlight bolts and tighten.

I use these rubber washers:
https://www.mcmaster.com/90131A102
Charlie

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 05:17:29 PM »
That's the way I mount the fairing: bracket to fairing first, then slip onto headlight bolts and tighten.

I use these rubber washers:
https://www.mcmaster.com/90131A102

Charlie,   Thanks.  Guess I'll put together a McMaster order because the hodgepodge of nuts and bolts that I have for this bike are just a mess even after running them through the cleaner and the blaster.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
I'm at a loss for where these parts go as I don't see them in the parts book.  Obviously the two at the bottom are for hooking up some electrical plugs but I don't know where exactly they are located. I assume under the tank but the other parts are not familiar to me. Thanks.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 12:25:13 PM »
I'm at a loss for where these parts go as I don't see them in the parts book.  Obviously the two at the bottom are for hooking up some electrical plugs but I don't know where exactly they are located. I assume under the tank but the other parts are not familiar to me. Thanks.

The top one holds the starter relay on the V7 Sport and 850-T, it's not used on your Le Mans. Left to right on the bottom row: a) Molex bracket under the tank, b) same, and c) the correct starter relay bracket which mounts on the right, under the fuseblock and rear master cylinder. It's secured to the frame by the long bolt-like thing with a tapered end that the sidecover slips onto at the bottom.
Charlie

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »
Thanks.

Ok, I see the frame bracket for one of these two items. Does this one go here?:

Or this one?:

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:06 PM »
Thanks.

Ok, I see the frame bracket for one of these two items. Does this one go here?:

According to the parts diagram, it's the first one.
Charlie

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
Some 77 Le Mans pics, may be of help

Front frame molex support tab

Fuse block

rear master cylinder

coils

rectifier

rectifier and flaser holder

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »
Thanks, 

I'm familiar with some of these locations which are common to my CX but the brackets were a mystery. Obviously, only two of the brackets in this collection of parts are applicable. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
Well, I was hoping to finish up the engine today and I installed the wrist pin on one of the pistons without issue but the one below is too tight. Both rod's have new bushings but this one is not freely moving on the wrist pin and I'm reluctant to go ahead and install it without solving this issue. I'm guessing that it needs to have a hone run through this rod for a better fit and so I will take it to the machine shop and let them do this unless someone else has a better idea.  Just for background I put both wrist pins in the freezer over night, heated up the pistons and used a socket to drive in the pin. 

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
Well, I was hoping to finish up the engine today and I installed the wrist pin on one of the pistons without issue but the one below is too tight. Both rod's have new bushings but this one is not freely moving on the wrist pin and I'm reluctant to go ahead and install it without solving this issue. I'm guessing that it needs to have a hone run through this rod for a better fit and so I will take it to the machine shop and let them do this unless someone else has a better idea.  Just for background I put both wrist pins in the freezer over night, heated up the pistons and used a socket to drive in the pin. 

Sounds like a trip to the machine shop is in order.  :sad:
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here