Author Topic: 2017 Stelvio Headlight Question  (Read 700 times)

Offline Steve350f

• New Egg
2017 Stelvio Headlight Question
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »
First off, what’s the purpose for the small bulbs in the sides of both the headlights?   Also, I want to change to an LED bulb for the main lights, those side lights, and the stock aux lights (I know these may eventually fail).  Any bulb suggestions?   Thanks. 
2016 Eldorado
2017 Stelvio
1973 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1971 BSA B50MX
1976 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2017 Stelvio Headlight Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 04:52:09 AM »
Park Lights aka City Lights, every bike has them it must be mandatory.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2008_Stelvio.gif
The lamps are (55) (Key says Tail lights lol) and if you look at switch (13) they are On in the Run and the Park positions and they are wired to the Tail light (18) also.
Its hard to tell looking at the schematic if you can turn the headlights off using switch (8)
You might find LEDs cause the dash to go into alarm, just unplug the headlamps first to see.
The schematic shows some weird arrangement between Right and Left headlight, only one Low Beam, might be a drawing error though.
Come to think of it a friend has LEDs in his Stelvio I will try to remember to ask if he had any problem.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:56:29 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 05:35:14 AM »
A couple of guys on ADV are using them and are very happy. No dash problems. It seems the Philips ones are very good (beam pattern). Unfortunately not legal in Europe :-(
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
I installed Speedmetal brand from cycle gear in my Stelvio, worked great, for about a month. Left one started to flicker so i took it back and got a replacement under warranty. A couple of weeks later the other one did the same thing so back it went. Another couple of weeks and the first replacement did it again so back they both went and stock bulbs went back in. A friend recommended a local guy who has a small business selling led lights that were supposed to be really good and not have the flickering issues. I gave it a try and its been two years and they are doing great. If I remember correctly they were $60 a set for H4's. Ive since put them in my FJR and going to get one for the Griso.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
I spoke to my friend today at coffee he said he used a pair of H4 lamps from some Avid rider source and No the North American headlights both have H/L beams, it was the Europeans that had just one Low beam.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:22:04 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »
I replaced all four bulbs with Phillips LED’s. I was tired of changing bulbs as much as anything, but the light output is better. No issues.
Tim

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here