Author Topic: Stuck Norge Filter  (Read 373 times)

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
Stuck Norge Filter
« on: April 19, 2024, 03:35:14 PM »
 Was bound to happen..   Changed oil and filter and had oil drip drip from filter upon shut down.   No problem I though, give it another tighten.   Still drip so thinking loosen now,
perhaps I made it too tight.  NO SUCH LUCK. Filter is recessed as with all CARC bikes and filter tool is slipping. Tried the old sand paper trick.  Nope.  Not wanting to waste a new oil change I thought of using this Harbor Freight tool.

BTW the filter is ST4967 pick up at WM on the recommended list.  *back up plan is drill screws thru filter cup tool into actual filter. 

Can anyone confirm this Harbor freight oil filter tool fits up into the recess?

Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:41:24 PM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: Stuck Norge Filter
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 04:31:23 PM »
Puncture with a large and lengthy Philips screwdriver at an angle, gently rotate and the filter will come off.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 04:33:00 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 04:44:51 PM »
Was bound to happen..   Changed oil and filter and had oil drip drip from filter upon shut down.   No problem I though, give it another tighten.   Still drip so thinking loosen now,
perhaps I made it too tight.  NO SUCH LUCK. Filter is recessed as with all CARC bikes and filter tool is slipping. Tried the old sand paper trick.  Nope.  Not wanting to waste a new oil change I thought of using this Harbor Freight tool.

BTW the filter is ST4967 pick up at WM on the recommended list.  *back up plan is drill screws thru filter cup tool into actual filter. 

Can anyone confirm this Harbor freight oil filter tool fits up into the recess?

Any other ideas?

I have a filter cup w/holes on sides & bottom
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 06:40:50 PM »
Since you have the filter cup type tool with the correct flutes(?). As Steve mentioned, your thought of some screws through the tool and into the filter is a way to get a stubborn one off from what I have read.

I have one of the "clamps as you turn it" type filer tools. The one I have "may" fit up into the recess for the filter. Maybe KD brand??

If you have to pull the pan, you could always take a very clean oil drain pan, catch the oil, do your filter removal and use the oil that you drained. Been there.

Best of luck!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 06:40:50 PM »

Online Ratso88

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 06:44:29 AM »
I've the three pronged filter wrench on my GRiSO for the last nine or ten years of oil filter changes.

Works just fine  :thumb:

I also use the cup type wrench for install, it's the only way to get any torque on the new filter.

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 08:50:01 AM »
I've the three pronged filter wrench on my GRiSO for the last nine or ten years of oil filter changes.

This is GOLD, Jerry, Gold! As of this moment my Norge filter is waiting for my big screwdriver to lever it loose, after letting it drain the HUGE amount of oil trapped in it. I was considering the filter wrench in the OP's image, but had no confidence that there was clearance between the filter & the sump recess. Now I know (if the sump design is the same as the Griso)! I like the 3-prong for filter removal, guess I'll check out HF today so I won't have to caveman a filter off again in the future.

As I've only had the bike a short time I have no idea what filter is on it, but it looks like a 76 mm 8-flute, but I said screw it trying to guess at a filter wrench so I'm doing what Tom mentioned and drained my 1000-mi 10W-60 Motul into a clean container and will go back on with a HiFlo HF77(?) and the reclaimed oil (removing the sump and spacer to check/replace the common spacer-gasket squeeze-out problem).
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 10:41:44 AM »
I had a really tight filter on one of my bikes. The sheet metal cup type filter kept slipping. The local indy bike shop loaned me what they use. Worked a charm. I just tried to find on online with no luck. Anyway it was a thin aluminum ring with an offset square hole for a 3/8" extension for a ratchet. It worked perfectly without the slightest slippage. An afterthought I think it was my Harley Twin Cam which has no room to get to the filter. No way to get a strap type filter tool on it or poke a screw driver through it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 10:45:54 AM »
Found one. Not cheap. I don't know if this one is the right size but Jims may have others but they mostly cater to the Harley world.
kk

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/jims-slim-oil-filter-wrench
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:49:14 AM by Moparnut72 »
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 01:10:13 PM »
I would just use one of the socket type that fits over the end of the filter.

Drill two holes in the sides of the socket, then use two sheet metal screws through the socket into the oil filter. Comes right out every time. I bet the reason you're having a leak is the o-ring got stuck up on the motor when you pulled out the old filter.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2024, 04:11:00 PM »
After having to use the screwdriver trick I have been using this K&N filter with the nut on the bottom.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 06:00:18 PM »
HiFlo HF551 S/B the filter for your bike. VERIFY the P/N yourself before buying it. I looked to see if they had the HF551RC, RC has the nut on the end, they do not make it or the other filters for Guzzi with the nut (per their catalog). The one in the pic above is K&N, but the P/N is for a Harley I believe, at least HF171 is Harley. Maybe K&N makes one for your Guzzi. MAYBE the K&N 171 also fits a Guzzi?? I think it too short at least for your Norge??

The filter wrench that clamps on the to the filter as you loosen the filter is a OEM Tools 25128 Import Car Filter Wrench. This one I "think" will fit into the filter recess, but I have not tried it.

EDIT: The OEM Tools wrench will ONLY remove the filter, it will NOT tighten it. It MAY get the stuck one loose, but you would need the correct flute one for your filter to tighten it.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 06:11:29 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here