Author Topic: Fuel filter replacement 2002 California help  (Read 1144 times)

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
Fuel filter replacement 2002 California help
« on: June 06, 2023, 08:12:39 PM »
I've read all the archived posts and changed the filter without incident, but now the pump is exceedingly loud and the bike will barely run after about a mile unless I shut it off and wait a few minutes. The (electric) petcock worked fine and I did mark the wires. The old filter was hard to blow through. Thinking I need a pump, or was I supposed to bleed the lines after the filter change somehow? TIA, David

Offline marcmorrison

• Hatchling
Re: Fuel filter replacement 2002 California help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »
Others will chime in on this subject, but if your old fuel filter was aligned in the correct direction and it was gunked up to the point that you couldn't blow air thru it, the fuel pump itself MIGHT have been damaged as a result of having to work that hard to keep fuel flowing.  You're sure that the electric petcock is working properly and no other obstructions in the fuel delivery system??  Fuel pumps were designed to pump fuel and not air, so a constant source for an air cavity in the system (maybe a cracked fuel line) would reduce the life of the pump as well....normally, any air in the system, such as after changing a filter, will be quickly expelled by a good pump.  The whining from the fuel pump and only running for a short period of time makes me think the fuel pump needs to be serviced.
1999 MG Bassa (pearl white)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 07:44:11 AM »
When you turn on the key, can you HEAR the electric petcock? Maybe pull loose a hose and see if fuel flows by gravity.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 03:03:25 PM »
If anything the petcock doesn't close all the way. With the hose removed and the key off I get a dribble of fuel, with the key on it's a gusher. New fuel pump on the way, I'll post results when I get it installed. Bike is new to me with 50K miles on it, air filter is brand new but fuel filter appeared very old. Before I changed the filter the bike ran great but would run out of energy at high load/high RPM after a couple of seconds. A couple of bouts of that and the pump started singing me the song of it's people. Clearly audible over the engine, even at speed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 03:06:13 PM by wdx063 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 03:03:25 PM »

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 03:25:31 PM »
There is a fine screen in the petcock clean it.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 03:45:35 PM »
Something else to check is if you have a regulator on the return hose that goes to the top of tank in front. Well, make sure there if fuel being returned to the tank, if not IT will also bind the pump. Open your cap and check, it's right there.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 04:59:46 PM »
Ok, new pump is in, it's nice and quiet, bike runs great for about 10 miles and then sputters and loses power. At that point the new pump starts making noise. With the key on something is blowing bubbles in the tank as seen through the open cap. Not sure if that's the regulator someone mentioned? The petcock is working audibly and I can feel it pop with key activation, just to be sure I pulled the hose again and yup, she's still a gusher with the key on. So....off with the tank and I'll try to wrench the petcock out of there. Any words of wisdom on that process? TIA, David

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 08:09:31 AM »
Do you still have the original tip over/breather valve. If so it might not be letting enough air in so the pump can pull gas. In other words vapor locking. Get it out and replace at least temporally with a double barbed connecter. Although very dangerous you could also drive with the gas cap open to test.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 01:44:56 PM »
My idea now? Fuel filter is backwards or pressure regulator is bad.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 02:35:56 PM »
Good call, Steve. I as thinking the same thing.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 07:46:01 PM »
My idea now? Fuel filter is backwards or pressure regulator is bad.
I was under the impression with different size fittings on each end the fuel filter only went one way, no? Anyway, it appears to flow from back to front on the frame. Where would I find this pressure regulator? Also, when I bought it the fuel cap had been monkeyed with so it wouldn't lock and let the key out, you had to ride with the cap loose. First thing I fixed, disassembled the cap and rotated the locking mechanism 180 degrees so it would lock and seal. Maybe P.O. was chasing down the same thing?
David

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 09:17:42 PM »
One way, should be. Checking everything.  Pressure reg should be what you screw onto the front top of tank on the return line. On my 98 it is by the filter.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 08:45:34 PM »
The inlet side of the fuel pump has a filter screen that can get clogged.

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 06:41:36 AM »
Maybe check the fuel hose from the  petcock to the pump.  The inside of the hose could be damaged causing a restriction.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 07:36:05 PM »
Ok, pulled the screen and it's clean. Interesting, though, with the petcock and screen removed, the half gallon or so in the tank drained in "glurps", like there was no vent. I'm guessing it's a clogged vent line. Where would I find this little gem?
David

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 09:04:30 PM »
Vent line & tipover valve is next to return line in front of tank.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 03:23:09 AM »
Vent line & tipover valve is next to return line in front of tank.

My guess is the checkvalve is bad. Not uncommon, and a lot of people have replaced it, or bypassed it.
Paul B

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
Re: Fuel filter replacement 2002 California help --RESOLUTION--
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2023, 07:27:03 PM »
Ok then! So after changing the filter and pump (pump was noisy, filter was hard to blow through) and the bike still stumbled to a near stall after a mile or so. Tank off again, tried to blow through the tipover hose, no go. Cut the check valve out of the hose. Same symptoms. Note that each time I pulled the tank I drained it THROUGH the open petcock by turning the key on, good flow out the bottom of the petcock. Ordered a new manual petcock from MG cycle anyway. After it came in, installed it (rapidly, without draining the tank, that was fun). Secretly praying the !#@$ Guzzi would just catch on fire and put itself out of my misery.  Got busy for a couple of days, glared at Guzzi every time I walked by it. Finally got out there today, started fine. Turn signals still not working but so what. Rode a mile, then two. Turn signals started working. Rode a few more miles at 40-45 mph. No issues. Love this bike. Turned around and headed back to work on the freeway, 70 MPH. Strong and healthy, can't hear the new pump over the exhaust. Rode 30 miles today. What a fun bike to ride! Love love love this bike. Sorry for all the bad things I said. Now to find a LH side cover that the DPO lost..... Thanks for all your help and comments, Hoping to have many happy miles on this critter.
David

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 05:23:55 AM »
That's awesome.  Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update.

My turn signals  on the .03 Stone keep blowing the fuse.  I believe there is a known failure point where the wire enters the rear fender.  I'll have to check that. 
He lost the run of himself.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 09:59:33 AM »
Good results, last thing to check fixed issue. Leave the manual one open all the time. They get hard to turn most of the time'
Ride Safe, Enjoy.

Offline wdx063

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 09:28:46 PM »
Hey, thanks for mentioning that. It is really stiff and getting in there with the engine hot is not for the faint of heart. Loving the heck out of this bike!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here