Author Topic: When the destination is a ride.  (Read 322 times)

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
When the destination is a ride.
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:45:49 AM »
My third trip to the Italian Adventure bike rally really brought home the real difference between me typical riding which is local and long distance touring and what real riders can do on TN and NC mountain backroads when they really want to get somewhere in a hurry.Suffice to say it’s a whole different ballgame.At what Moto would describe as a sporting pace through mountain up and down switchbacks and blind hairpins,you need to be really paying attention or you find yourself  on the wrong side of the road or scraping a rock wall as the shoulders are few and far between.Forget about the  spectacular views,you need to be looking at the road surfaces of in front of you all the time.We did a 200 mile tour on the first day and my bmw riding friend took the second day off for a 100 mile sightseeing ride.If you go to this rally it would be wise to take some track lessons beforehand,I have never done that so I was by far the slowest rider even with the the fastest bike,a Stelvio.There were a few Aprilia Tuaregs,a couple700 Yamaha advs,a hHonda adv.Triumph adv,Mark the leader rode a modern Stornello withknobbies.If you have ridden the Harley friendly one way  switchbacks to Mt Rushmore,imagine those with 2 way traffic and you will see what I’m talking about.All in all a great experience and confidence builder in a spectacular area with cool mountain air.

guido guzzi

Re: When the destination is a ride.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 12:42:13 PM »
It's simply amazing how much faster some people can ride. Doesn't seem possible and the *really* fast guys are super smooth.  :bow:

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 02:57:59 PM »
Befriended a group of riders in Johnson City and they have taken us on some AMAZING roads. They also know how to ride. It’s funny when Denny slows down it means you are on a short boring stretch. When he speeds up get ready the road is going to get twisty. Love the group as they are like brothers and the pace they keep, spirited but safe.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

czakky82

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »
Sounds like fun Tom!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »
Ya know they call us flatlanders down here Tom. Still lots of fun in N.GA mtns. It helps not to have any gadgets on your bike to distract you. I worked up there and got pretty good but nothing like the guys who need to do a track day. An issue here, they die every weekend, squids.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 08:54:32 PM »
Sounds like a great time, Tom. Welcome back.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 10:49:48 PM »
Nothing like being in the zone on a long twisty road to clear your head. It’s impossible to think about other stuff. I like to let the fast guys get out of sight so I can focus on the road at my pace.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here