Author Topic: Guzzidiag & Cali 1400 Handle Self Learning  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Guzzidiag & Cali 1400 Handle Self Learning
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
My California Custom 1400 started showing a "SERVICE" and the dreaded red triangle on the dashboard when returning home from a ride last weekend.  It didn't go into limp mode, and I could ride normally with just a high slightly uneven idle.

In the past when this message has appeared (usually after a "Reset autolearning parameters"), I've managed to make it go by utilising Guzzidiag to perform a "Handle self-learning" followed by a "Throttle self-learning".  Not this time.

On the Guzzidiag faults page, it shows "P0745 : to high" in the Stored faults box; New faults box is empty.  P0745 is not listed in the service manual.  Google search reveals a Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction in the transmission;  I don't believe this is relevant.

Any Gurus able to point me in the right direction?

pete roper

Re: Guzzidiag & Cali 1400 Handle Self Learning
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
It seems that Piaggio in their infinite wisdom ignore normal OBD protocols and just pluck numbers out of their arse. Mark found this out while tearing his hair out trying to get a decent TPS log on the MUIG-3.

The manual should have a list of their Weird Harold codes somewhere.

Pete

Offline ED1979

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »
2014 California 1400 custom - no modifications other than handlebar risers.

Two weeks ago I got the same message - SERVICE and solid red triangle light. Was only a mile from home but idle didn't drop to normal unless I let the clutch out. Downloaded the Guzzidiag program and ordered the two cables. The fault code was P0745 - invalid input signal. I checked the clutch switch and the plunger would not push out, replaced with
Saia-Burgess Microswitch, Plunger, Spdt-Co, 5A - V4LS off of Amazon for $12 and tested the switch by starting it in gear - clutch pulled in, clutch out would not start in gear. I also removed, clean and test the kickstand switch and in gear, put the kickstand down, kills engine.

But as soon as I clear the code it immediately returns. I've also done the handle relearn, throttle relearn and ecu relearn options under actions.

Any other suggestions before I haul it to the new Moto Guzzi dealership in Columbus, Ohio?

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 11:24:15 PM »
  Is there a cruise control on yours ?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 11:24:15 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 07:37:13 AM »
Check and see if the cruise control will work , if not it is likely either the clutch switch or a brake switch.   The po745 code is not listed anywhere that I have found sadly.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/error-codes-for-5am-7sm-ecus.7966/

Offline ED1979

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 08:13:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll take it out and see if the  cruise control still functions since the SERVICE message appeared. I did replace the clutch switch and it now functions as designed. I'll report back my findings.

Is there a link to status codes from Guzzidiag? For example if the clutch switch displays 1 or 2, which means released or pulled in? Same for the other switch status'.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 11:02:57 AM by ED1979 »

Offline ED1979

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 01:43:46 PM »
Did a little more research - NO CRUISE CONTROL. Makes me think my soldering job on the clutch switch might not be that good. But in 1st gear, clutch pulled in, bike turns over and starts. If it is released and in gear no start. In neutral, pulled in or release bike starts. On the guzzidiag clutch lever released status = 2, pulled in status = 1. I also noticed it looks like the original battery might still be in the bike. Guzzidiag shows 12.2 volts, but my volt meter shows 12.7? Probably time for a new battery, unless I can find the date on the battery that shows the previous owner replaced it.

Offline ED1979

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 04:19:40 PM »
Yeah, hopefully I got it resolved. But just to recap:

Service message and solid red triangle appeared.
Download guzzidiag (gave a donation as requested)
Order 3 pin to odb2 connector off of Ebay $12
Order ODB2 to USB connector off of Ebay $15 (but did not work because it wasn't the KKL VAG with chip one)
Order ODB2 to USB connector off of of TEMU with the KKL VAG and chip $5
While waiting for all the connectors to arrive, I looked at the clutch switch and determined it was broken (plunger would not go out, stuck in)
Didn't matter if I oiled the plunger or not would not pop out on it's own.
Ordered Saia-Burgess Microswitch, Plunger, Spdt-Co, 5A - V4LS from Amazon $12
Got all the connectors and new switch in, used multimeter to check open and closed on new switch and wired accordingly
Used the Guzzidiag to check faults - P0745 Invalid input signal
Used the Guzzidiag to clear faults, but came back on immediately
Check the clutch switch, had it wired backwords, would start in 1st gear clutch release instead of pulled in.
Re-solder the wires, worked as tested (clutch lever out, in gear no start) but still couldn't erase the fault code, just returned immediately
Removed and tested the kickstand switch, now works properly whereas before if in gear and put the kickstand down would not kill engine
Check to see if the cruise control would work, it won't with the service message and red triangle
Called the new local MG dealer, 6 weeks before then could even look at my bike.
Left the bike sitting in the garage for 2 months and rode my trusty 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator

So today 7/11/23:
Removed the clutch switch again and check the wiring.
F.cking multi-meter is giving me false positives, got another multi-meter out
Cut the wires and redid going blue to blue, grey to grey and black to black between the new switch and connector
Reinstalled the clutch switch and tested, worked as design. Neutral - engine starts clutch lever in or out. In gear, only starts with clutch lever in.
Used the Guzzidiag (clutch switch status 0 or 1 whereas before I was getting 1 or 2.
Used the Guzzidiag to remove the fault code (yeah, so far and has not returned) But will ride the crap out of it the rest of the week to verify
Pushed the cruise control button, little green light on the dash now comes on. Have tried to set it, but sure it will work now.
Put the Kawasaki in front of the California in the garage for now

Sorry for the long post but has been over two and a half months trying to resolve:

Issues now:

Kickstand switch isn't working as designed, in gear, push kickstand out, engine still runs, whereas before it would kill the engine
Gear selector on the dashboard displays a dash - for second gear, was doing that on an off ever since I had it serviced last year from Cardre but now always displays a dash and not the number 2.

But I can live with these two issues as long as I can ride it the rest of the summer.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 05:54:19 PM »
  That's been one heck of a learning curve ! I just had a sigh of relief for you :) . Peter

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here