Author Topic: Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb  (Read 654 times)

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb
« on: October 05, 2022, 11:47:37 PM »
98 EV all stock except for a headlamp relay package.
Just lost the low beam filament on my H4 bulb.  I think it is Sylvania.  Looking for real world recommendations on replacement.  Another halogen brand?  A better LED bulb?  Add opinions about beam dispersion and long distance penetration.
I have a not-very-good LED unit in place now so I am legal until I find something better from your recommendations.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 03:41:57 AM »
Patrick, I have experimented with a bunch of different bulbs in that headlight housing, including a couple of LED ones, which did not work out at all. The best I have found is the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, as far as light output,and brightness. They dont last as long as the regular cheaper bulbs, it seems, though. I really just wanted the best road illumination I could get, since I like to take night rides in the summer.  I am still not real happy with the high beam coverage, and plan to add some auxiliary spot lights, as soon as I find a pair I like.
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 03:53:57 AM »
I also have tried numerous bulbs as well in my 98 EV and in the end using the same as BBD "Sylvania Silverstar Ultra" but also added a set of Denali aux lights. Photo here of my current setup.

Brian

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »
Been running LED on mine but have the later larger headlight bucket for touring fairing. My 98EV has no relay set-up like yours but I got mine after seeing one of the customers lasting long time & he rides in dark more than I do.

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/indian/led-lighting-indian/headlights-led-lighting-indian/led-100/
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
Still using the Sylvania.  I replaced the lens with a new one, however, and that made a huge difference.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:41 AM »
Anyone know how much watts the electrical can take if when were to get a higher watt bulb?

I replaced mine with a cheap LED set up.  It's no brighter than the old 55wt bulb. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
  Just a friendly reminder when using high wattage (high output) bulbs there is a greater amount of heat from the bulbs that can "melt" wiring, sockets, and etc.  It's great to have these brighter head lights but, you are looking at a potential "Blackout" at night..........that's a bad thing to happen !   The Kid

Online JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
If going this route, like a 55/100 watt, I'd suggest a decent wire from the battery to a relay in the headlamp to power the high beam.
The handlebar switch will then only power the relay.
Also replace the headlamp socket with a ceramic one to prevent meltdown.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 07:00:11 AM by JoeB »
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 11:43:17 AM »
Patrick, I have experimented with a bunch of different bulbs in that headlight housing, including a couple of LED ones, which did not work out at all. The best I have found is the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, as far as light output,and brightness. They dont last as long as the regular cheaper bulbs, it seems, though. I really just wanted the best road illumination I could get, since I like to take night rides in the summer.  I am still not real happy with the high beam coverage, and plan to add some auxiliary spot lights, as soon as I find a pair I like.
Rick Duarte

This type Light bulb?

Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA 9005

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here