Author Topic: Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb  (Read 668 times)

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb
« on: October 05, 2022, 11:47:37 PM »
98 EV all stock except for a headlamp relay package.
Just lost the low beam filament on my H4 bulb.  I think it is Sylvania.  Looking for real world recommendations on replacement.  Another halogen brand?  A better LED bulb?  Add opinions about beam dispersion and long distance penetration.
I have a not-very-good LED unit in place now so I am legal until I find something better from your recommendations.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Recommend 98EV headlamp bulb
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 03:41:57 AM »
Patrick, I have experimented with a bunch of different bulbs in that headlight housing, including a couple of LED ones, which did not work out at all. The best I have found is the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, as far as light output,and brightness. They dont last as long as the regular cheaper bulbs, it seems, though. I really just wanted the best road illumination I could get, since I like to take night rides in the summer.  I am still not real happy with the high beam coverage, and plan to add some auxiliary spot lights, as soon as I find a pair I like.
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 03:53:57 AM »
I also have tried numerous bulbs as well in my 98 EV and in the end using the same as BBD "Sylvania Silverstar Ultra" but also added a set of Denali aux lights. Photo here of my current setup.

Brian

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »
Been running LED on mine but have the later larger headlight bucket for touring fairing. My 98EV has no relay set-up like yours but I got mine after seeing one of the customers lasting long time & he rides in dark more than I do.

https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/indian/led-lighting-indian/headlights-led-lighting-indian/led-100/
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
Still using the Sylvania.  I replaced the lens with a new one, however, and that made a huge difference.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:41 AM »
Anyone know how much watts the electrical can take if when were to get a higher watt bulb?

I replaced mine with a cheap LED set up.  It's no brighter than the old 55wt bulb. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
  Just a friendly reminder when using high wattage (high output) bulbs there is a greater amount of heat from the bulbs that can "melt" wiring, sockets, and etc.  It's great to have these brighter head lights but, you are looking at a potential "Blackout" at night..........that's a bad thing to happen !   The Kid

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 06:59:01 AM »
If going this route, like a 55/100 watt, I'd suggest a decent wire from the battery to a relay in the headlamp to power the high beam.
The handlebar switch will then only power the relay.
Also replace the headlamp socket with a ceramic one to prevent meltdown.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 07:00:11 AM by JoeB »
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 11:43:17 AM »
Patrick, I have experimented with a bunch of different bulbs in that headlight housing, including a couple of LED ones, which did not work out at all. The best I have found is the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, as far as light output,and brightness. They dont last as long as the regular cheaper bulbs, it seems, though. I really just wanted the best road illumination I could get, since I like to take night rides in the summer.  I am still not real happy with the high beam coverage, and plan to add some auxiliary spot lights, as soon as I find a pair I like.
Rick Duarte

This type Light bulb?

Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA 9005

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here