General Category > General Discussion

Touring bike driving light questions

<< < (2/5) > >>

Amstaff:
Don’t ride at night. Too many deer. If you need lights for conspicuity, you should instead practice pretending you’re invisible. The deer don't care about your lights BTW.

I had a friend who had to ride his bike to work at 5am. He spent the last four years of his life in a facility with TBI from a deer hit…..

Almost cut the light brackets of my Stelvio but too much a PITA. Thats how I feel about extra lights.

AJ Huff:

--- Quote from: Amstaff on September 25, 2021, 08:38:03 AM ---Don’t ride at night. Too many deer. If you need lights for conspicuity, you should instead practice pretending you’re invisible. The deer don't care about your lights BTW.

I had a friend who had to ride his bike to work at 5am. He spent the last four years of his life in a facility with TBI from a deer hit…..

Almost cut the light brackets of my Stelvio but too much a PITA. Thats how I feel about extra lights.

--- End quote ---

I feel the same way, never ride at night. But I do like extra lights for increased visibility in the daytime. Or at least my perceived increased visibility.

-AJ

Amstaff:
I dont know about the increased visibility vs regular headlight……

I did have the experience that led me to believe the DRL in the wing shape on the V85 is not adequate to counter the negligence cultivated by safety regs and people accustomed to seeing lights.

The bright lights are a migraine trigger in daylight, and highbeams get a finger.

j.davis:
I do a fair bit of night riding. I use Stedi 25w spots controlled by a Skene controller.
the lights are great at night and the Skene controller allows them to run at a lower brightness as daytime running lights and 100% with high beam.

Amstaff:
Yeah…I realize that can happen. The risk is multiples higher at night. Statistics are the issue and how to avoid the worst.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version