Author Topic: NGC - motorcycle content  (Read 889 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - motorcycle content
« on: November 26, 2021, 07:09:41 PM »
I'm sure many of you recall saying or thinking "I like that new bike, but I think I'll wait 3 or 4 years until there's some nice low mileage used ones for sale."

Amazing how your buying philosophy changes when you approach 80 years old.

I could continue about my thoughts, but I'd rather hear yours.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - motorcycle content
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 09:36:10 PM »
At 58 I’m still into kick start big bore classics, but the Husky Svartpilen looks like a contender in a year or two.  I felt that way about the new CB1100 standard when it came out but lost interest within a year before really looking for one.  I still think a clean Harley XR1200 in orange would look good in the garage.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »
+1 on the XR.  A bucket list bike for me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
At 67...retired... on Social Security and MEDICARE, my entire spending philosophy has changed from "WANTS to NEEDS"

Do I "WANT" a new Triumph T120 Bonneville...a new Royal Enfield Himalayan...and new Honda CT125...a new Guzzi 850 V7-III...and a dozen other cool motorcycles, etc., etc.??????

The short answer is "YES"...but do I really "NEED" one?  The answer is "NO"...It's quite pathetic, actually...as when I was working full-time, I would impulsively pull the trigger in a NY minute on a new bike...but oh well!

With age comes wisdom, I guess... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :bow: :thumb: :boozing: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Now here’s a good topic.
It’s funny you mention it and I don’t fully get it myself. I know the V100 will be demonstrably ‘better” than my Norge or V85, but I just don’t “want” one...

I’m sure they’ll sell as many as they can build, but so far I just don’t feel the “pull”.
I really hope I’m not developing some common sense... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:33:46 PM by Huzo »

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »
At 67...retired... on Social Security and MEDICARE, my entire spending philosophy has changed from "WANTS to NEEDS"

Do I "WANT" a new Triumph T120 Bonneville...a new Royal Enfield Himalayan...and new Honda CT125...a new Guzzi 850 V7-III...and a dozen other cool motorcycles, etc., etc.??????

The short answer is "YES"...but do I really "NEED" one?  The answer is "NO"...It's quite pathetic, actually...as when I was working full-time, I would impulsively pull the trigger in a NY minute on a new bike...but oh well!

With age comes wisdom, I guess... :laugh: :grin: :wink: :bow: :thumb: :boozing: :cool:

I think it is fair to say that you
need" only 2 of those listed............
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »
Yup I'm one of those guys, I haven't bought a new bike since i bought a 1980 XT250 and that was a left over for a real good price. But having turned 65 this year, I'm kind thinking along those lines with all the great new bikes coming out,can I wait till they start showing up 2nd hand? But most of the new one's cost way more then I want to spend anyways.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Frulk

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
At 58 I’m still into kick start big bore classics, but the Husky Svartpilen looks like a contender in a year or two.  I felt that way about the new CB1100 standard when it came out but lost interest within a year before really looking for one.  I still think a clean Harley XR1200 in orange would look good in the garage.

I've owned the CB1100 for a number of years. Last time it was on the road was a couple of months back when a buddy rode it with us to Buffalo Wy for the Longmire Festival. Honda did a great job bringing a modern inline 4 to the market while honoring its heritage.  Here it is being prepped for what turned out to be an approximate 1,400-mile ride through 3/4 mountain ranges.

Over the years I've pressed the CB into the 'neckit' sport tourer mode. A role it served admirably in underscoring the usefulness/versatility of the 'UNIVERSAL' Japanese motorcycle platform. I've changed fairings/flyscreens and seats a couple to three times as the mood struck me. Solid as an anvil at 80-90 and will run those speeds all day long in America's outback.

I looked for about 2.5 years before I found a low milage example (6,200 on the odo) of an XR1200 in my local area. All because a good friend had a tricked out one (shown to right in pic below) which he was always heaping superlatives on.

It's easy to find fault with it...too heavy...too slow...yada yada...and so forth. However, ride it for a while and it begins to endear itself. I call it the 'Levon Kirkland' of bikes.  That's to say it may be big and heavy but its surprisingly light on its feet when the RPM's are up and the rider is committed to not being dropped from the pack.  If I had more riding skill the bike would surprise a lot of more capable machines and its owners on the mountain roads around here. I never tire of rolling the throttle in 3rd and feeling that rush of torque come on...

And just to ensure there is a bit of Guzzi content...the humble V7R

[/size][/size]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:12:51 PM by Frulk »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
At 64 and now retired for close to ten years, my philosophy on vehicles has never strayed since I was a teen. DON'T buy a new one. The  depreciation hit (Ugh!) when buying a new vehicle just rubs me the wrong way. Besides, many interesting bikes and cars were made before I started driving or had an interest in them. I was too young to buy a '72 MGB in 1972. But I owned a really nice B in the early 2000s. I wasn't interested in Guzzis in my twenties, but these days I love a round headed Tonti, which is why I have a '83 1000SP.

And I've gotten used to the idea of selling my hobby bikes and cars for more than I paid for 'em!

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 02:03:36 PM »

Well that's how I feel about what bikes to thin out. I want my Centauro but I need my T160.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »
The only new showroom vehicles I buy are Honda Accords every 10 years or so (and not the first year redesign). 

Otherwise, used.  From an individual.  Creampuff.  I want a track record based on reliability and let someone pay for first service, recalls and depreciation. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here