Author Topic: neutral light  (Read 689 times)

Offline davemike

• New Egg
neutral light
« on: February 15, 2024, 06:25:30 AM »
Hi folks I haven't been on here for a while, but I recently acquired a v7 classic in quite a ratty condition needing a new clutch. any way clutch is now replaced but I noticed there was no cable going to the neutral light switch, and since starting the bike the light stats on. now I did think ahead and attached a spade terminal with a foot of cable on it as I know how difficult it is to get to this switch when the gearbox is reinstalled. Now electrics isn't my strong point and a brief look at the wiring diagram shows a diode in this circuit. so can anyone explain how this actually works and where I should attach my cable? cheers Dave.  P.S which icon do you use to insert a picture.

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: neutral light
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 04:02:58 PM »
Below the text box is a "add image to post". You can then drag and drop an image into the pop up window, when done selecting your images, click upload or the like.

I did mot know about a diode in the neutral light circuit, but then again, I have never looked at the wiring diagram. Old bikes it was a simple wire through a bulb to the switch, switch was grounded when in neutral.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline davemike

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 05:22:14 PM »

It seems to have loaded it sideways but this looks like a diode. its just hanging on the cables at the moment. I cant see where its meant to attach.   

Offline davemike

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:24:21 PM »
Its ok it uploaded the correct way.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:24:21 PM »

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:05:53 PM »
Had the sideways thing happen myself, but it uploaded correctly. You can always hit the 'preview post" button to see if everything looks right. Once you hit the preview button, you have to scroll UP to see how it looks.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 08:34:28 PM »
I have always been under the impression that  the neutral switch went to ground there for lighting the neutral lamp,
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline davemike

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 05:17:07 PM »
Yes your right the switch goes to ground. but where does the cable go ?? As I don't have a cable to attach to the switch. where do I attach the cable I have fitted on to the switch?? Dave.

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 06:18:33 PM »
It’s got to be close by in the harness or snipped at a connector
Can’t imagine why  someone would do that
But if it were me I would pull the seat the tank, perhaps the air box. What just so I could get a better look
But I have never owned that model, not familiar
When I look at Af1 the parts layout it just show the word going into the harness
Good luck keep us informed someone else might chime in
Added 2.17 looks like a purple and black wire that then goes into the harness
then shows up at Pin#3 going to ECU
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 01:52:24 PM by lti_57 »
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline davemike

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 12:46:57 PM »
Yes Iti_57 I agree, So yes the tank is off and I am having a good look at the tail end of the harness where the fuses and relays are situated. this broken of stub of a black wire must be here somewhere. If any of you kind owners of a v7 classic could have a look for this black wire that comes from the rear of the gearbox underneath the throttle bodies and tell me where it ends up, I would be very grateful. this post is also on Guzziriders so lets see who can find the answer first. cheers. Dave. 

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 03:11:47 PM »
IIRR the wire was routed funny. When looking at the RH side of the bike with the side cover removed. It came from the sender on the trans, then under and through the battery tray, then up to a connector just to the right of the battery. The problem is I don't remember what that connector looked like.

This is out of the V7 Classic service manual, maybe it will help:
the black-brown/green cable from the sensor PIN to the main injection relay

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline davemike

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 05:00:08 PM »
Well guys here is the final addition to my post. Problem is solved. whilst doing the clutch job I noticed this strange connector bolted to earth where the bell housing meets the engine. so I removed it and did a continuity test up to the black wire at the clocks, and I got a circuit. So I fitted a bullet connector and joined it up with the cable I had previously fitted to the terminal on the neutral switch.
 But guess what the light still didn't work so i tested the switch and this was also faulty. So I have now replaced it and all is fine.
 If you want to see how I replaced the neutral switch go over to Guzzi riders and see I have done a short post on how to complete this job. Dave.

hollow love heart copy and paste

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 05:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here