Author Topic: Convert gearbox clutch vent/drain question  (Read 444 times)

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
Convert gearbox clutch vent/drain question
« on: October 02, 2022, 03:19:02 AM »
Hi all
One of the reasons I love my Guzzi is whenever I work on it I am reminded of their simplistic but thoughtful design.
I have added a very tidy and complete Convert to my garage and am in the process of repairing a few leaks, and one is the gearbox. When I separated the front clutch housing section about 1/4 a cup of oil came out.
Now I am wondering why didn't the designer of this box did not put a small vent hole in the bottom of the area in question? Surely it would act as an indicator for leaks, and allow any oil to drain. I'm amazed the clutch wasn't slipping as it was coating the friction plates.
Is there any reason I couldn't put one in?
Cheers in advance
Glen

Online ray bear

• Gosling
Re: Convert gearbox clutch vent/drain question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:47:01 AM »
You can do what you want, when I first got my convert some 2 years ago the clutch plates were sticking together and had to rev engine with brake applied to separate, What Im going to tell you you must not tell any one else on this forum for fear of back lash  :grin:  I drilled a 6mm hole in the bottom of clutch housing and tapped it and put a grub screw in it , then added about a half a cup (no more theres a throw out bearing you dont want to flush) of white spirits through the timing plug and run the motor for two minutes operating the clutch and drained, clutch has been like new ever since.  so yes why didnt they. I keep mine plugged to keep dirt out.  Ray
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:51:35 AM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
The oil is definitely gear oil not ATF.
I'm doing a rebuild on the box so all the o rings and seals will be replaced.
My question was did the gearbox designer not put in a drain/vent simply because he forgot rather than based on reasoning?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 07:20:36 PM »
The oil is definitely gear oil not ATF.
I'm doing a rebuild on the box so all the o rings and seals will be replaced.
My question was did the gearbox designer not put in a drain/vent simply because he forgot rather than based on reasoning?

I think they (wrongly) assumed there would never be a leak. I drilled a weep hole in mine.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 07:20:36 PM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »
There was an article ,on one of the Guzzi sites, that showed you exactly where to drill a small"weep hole" in the bottom of the bellhousing. I looked for it but did not find it. I need to do that to my Convert, so if I find it, I will post a link.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline glenm64

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 05:04:17 PM »
You can drill a hole anywhere next to the web on the bottom in the clutch basket housing, it's not that critical.
I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in mine, not that it needs a thread to be honest.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 05:10:51 PM »
You can drill a hole anywhere next to the web on the bottom in the clutch basket housing, it's not that critical.
I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole in mine, not that it needs a thread to be honest.

Thanks for the photo. I guess the only other precaution would be to use some sort of depth stop on the drill bit so one does not drill too deep, and damage the clutch basket.   :grin:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 05:25:40 AM »
Dr dave richardson suggests that weep hole in Guzziology
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here