Author Topic: Jalapeno lacto fermented hot sauce  (Read 178 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
Jalapeno lacto fermented hot sauce
« on: September 23, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »
With the growing season coming to a close the jalapeno plant was loaded with reds. Time to put'em to use. If using quart jars 600g of pepper is perfect. I'm using 2qt jars so I've doubled it

1200g of red peppers, capped (had to throw in a couple greenies for weight). Do not wash the peppers you want the wild yeast that is naturally on them. If you wash them or use peppers that were refrigerated you will have to add a small amount of yeast culture. D0 not use bread yeast!

36g (3% of the weight of the peppers) Kosher or canning salt

Pulse blend the peppers in batches to a relish consistency

Stri in salt

Then mash goes into a clean glass jar and topped with non-chlorinated water just to cover the pepper mash. Then capped and an air lock installed or you can burp the jar every day (two or three times a day during heavy fermentation) if using a tight sealing lid. Since this will ferment for 2 weeks to over 3 years a air lock is much easier to deal with. Yes I have a jar of peppers on the the counter that turned 3 years old on August and will get processed later this fall into hot sauce.

Place jar is a area where it is out of direct sunlight and temperature is steady. IN a few days you'll start to see the air lock bubbling meaning fermentation is underway.

Once the big fermentation is done in a couple weeks you can process into hot sauce now or just let it go as it will still ferment a small amount then as the pH drops it becomes shelf stable and enzymes and time get to do their thing.

FWIW Tabasco (not that is the greatest hot sauce) the mash is aged for 3 years to allow flavors to develop before they process it into sauce.

This hot sauce I may put a few chunks of oak to simulate aging in a a oak barrel.

It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through!

Online Guzzistajohn

• Guzzi Hero
Re: Jalapeno lacto fermented hot sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
Tonight, just for the hallibut  :thumb:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:50:09 PM by Guzzistajohn »
Not anti social, pro solitude.

Online nc43bsa

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »
Someone will be by shortly to chastise you severely for posting a non-motorcycle related thread.    :grin: :evil:
1990 MilleGT

Offline JJ

• Guzzi Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
Someone will be by shortly to chastise you severely for posting a non-motorcycle related thread.    :grin: :evil:

:laugh: :grin: :wink: :laugh: :grin: :wink: - - Just reading that title make a certain body part of mine...."PUCKER!" :grin: :laugh: :grin: :laugh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »

Offline rdbandkab

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
 I got the Pavlovian response thing happening now....   :drool:

That actually sounds like something my wife and I would enjoy.....growing our own peppers.

I just picked up a tiny bottle of Carolina Reaper sauce grown (and bottled) on an organic farm in the Burgettstown, PA area.  A tad spicy!

Offline jcctx

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Bet that will be good on butter beans; to hide the "flavor"!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Guido Valvole

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 03:54:17 PM »
That sounds tasty! Can it work with other varieties of peppers? I'll have to give it a try.
Btw, you can drop strips of jalapeno into tequila for extra-zingy margaritas. Start with half a pepper per 750ml or liter. Let it sit overnight, then leave the pieces in. Remember, chili pepper heat level quality control is possibly Italian… I've had jalapenos that were bell peppers in disguise and others that thought they were at least serranos.
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Online Perazzimx14

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »
That sounds tasty! Can it work with other varieties of peppers? I'll have to give it a try.
Btw, you can drop strips of jalapeno into tequila for extra-zingy margaritas. Start with half a pepper per 750ml or liter. Let it sit overnight, then leave the pieces in. Remember, chili pepper heat level quality control is possibly Italian… I've had jalapenos that were bell peppers in disguise and others that thought they were at least serranos.

Yes it works with any peppers or blend of peppers. The 3% salt by weight is the critical. The peppers or other veggies added like garlic, carrot are not.
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through!

Harper's Moto Guzzi
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

Harper's Moto Guzzi
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here