Author Topic: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial  (Read 137435 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 06:31:34 PM »
Up above there is a picture of the "The Fiat 3 Pin to 16 pin Adapter".  Don't mean to sound mean, but if you google that you'll see several places where you can buy one.  I think it is a bit hard to document "buy it from here" when those sources change all the time.  I bought mine using Amazon, some buy via ebay, other buy from some electrical supply place.

I will never need the Beetle map (with my current ride anyway) but I know one of the reasons is that those ones work. Others evidently say they are the same thing but for some reason they have electrical constipation, and won't pass a current.

Early adoptees quickly found that out.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

beetle

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
The link to buy the cables is in the first post. Some browsing on the Lonelec site produces this:

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-and-Car-OBD2-Adaptors/OBD2-Motorbike-Adaptors/Guzzi-Ducati-Aprilia-3pin-OBD2-Adaptor

Voila! The 3 pin to 16 pin adapter.

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:44 AM »
Mods, please make this a sticky, or, add another forum category for useful references such as this.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=51074.0
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
Plug in your cables, make sure the serial adapter is on, go to device manager and look at what you are hooked up to, now enter that port #. It should work. Then you may need to go to properties of the adapter and change the speed.

OH, It's a lovely thing, technology.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »

Offline asaleo

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »
I am so glad I checked in to Wild Guzzi tonight!  Thank you beetle!  Cables ordered.

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

beetle

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »
Just added some new info re the Cali 1400 Handle & Throttle self-learning in the TPS/Throttle learning post. Also a link to a good procedure for the Cali 1100 & Bellagio.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Yes, the ECU (kill switch) has to be on. You should be in neutral, with the sidestand up.
You need to have heard the fuel pump do the 3 second power up.

Does the diagnostics software work? There is a cable test program also, does it work?
Also, the diagnostic software can no be running, when you try to run the reader. Only one program at a time can access the serial cable.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:04:37 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

beetle

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
Yes, the ECU (kill switch) has to be on. You should be in neutral, with the sidestand up.
You need to have heard the fuel pump do the 3 second power up.

Thats not correct. The kill switch can be in any position, you don't have to be in neutral, and the sidestand can be up or down. Sensors or switches can be in any state. There does not have to be any prior conditions to connect with GuzziDiag. The only condition is that required is that the engine not be running when you try read or write the map.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:55:47 PM by beetle »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »

Thats not correct. The kill switch can be in any position, you don't have to be in neutral, and the sidestand can be up or down. Sensors or switches can be in any state. There does not have to be any prior conditions to connect with GuzziDiag. The only condition is that required is that the engine not be running when you try read or write the map.

Odd. I thought the kill switch and such would cut power to the ECU and it would not talk.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

beetle

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »
Chad, did you install the correct drivers?

If all else fails, it may be worth checking the continuity of the diagnostic port connection. I recently encountered a V7 with an open circuit between the connector and the ECU. Pin 16 on the grey connector (at least I think it's grey on the Breva). On the 8V it's blue.

beetle

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
Odd. I thought the kill switch and such would cut power to the ECU and it would not talk.

No, the kill switch just disables the start-up relay.  We just need the 'key on' signal to wake the ECU up.

pete roper

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »

It does with the 15M and RC but not with the W5AM or, from memory the MUIG3

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
I'm pretty frustrated, but this is par for the course to me... I have never successfully downloaded any program or software or anything on a computer and subsequently been able to get it working.

Does the diagnostic software work?
If so, check for errors and clear them. That may help.

Offline Chalk

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Just downloaded the latest version .47   When you use the drop down there is 4 options of 5AM.  ECUs
What’s the difference  I have a 2015. Stelvio. I can’t seem to get connected.
Using lonelec cables.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
In preferences choose 8V for bike, 4V is 1 O2 sensor.

beetle

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
You've downloaded IAWDiag, not GuzziDiag.  Download GuzziDiag: LINKY

Offline Chalk

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2018, 05:34:40 AM »
Thanks, I have read this, the problem seems to be the drivers for the cables.  I down loaded the drivers from this link but I get a error message saying the driver is either corrupted or has a code39 fault.
I went on to the guzzidiag main site to try and download the driver from another place, but the link doesn’t seem to work for me.
I’m using a old laptop running Windows XP. Could this be part of the issue.
I think it’s just the laptop isn’t seeing the USB and won’t connect.  I have tried it in all the ports but no go.
That’s the problem with being very poor with computers
Thanks for all your time and help.
Andy

beetle

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »
I've PM'd you a download link for the older XP drivers. Uninstall the current drivers and give them a try.

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 05:14:31 PM »
Thank you for this!  I have been hesitant to mess with my ecu, even though I have the cables.  I was fearful that I would brick the damn thing, and it really couldn't be that big of a difference anyway.  Well, at the NAR I hosted a couple of weeks ago, Dan (Redhawk47), Roger (Bentgoose) and I believe Dan Ketchpel connected to my bike and walked me through the process. 

So today was a Stelvio work on day, and I checked my valves (3 intakes were a little tight, all exhaust were fine), changed out my spark plug boots (23k on original's, no problems, didn't want any) and the plugs.  While I had things apart I took the plunge and hooked up my precious Stelvio to the madness that is the interwebs.......... eeeek!

I had the blue light on the cables, good sign, but I couldn't see Guzzidiag anywhere on my screen?  After left clicking and right clicking and getting a little frustrated I noticed in the bottom right had corner of the screen the red Guzzidiag box was showing about a 1/8" by 1/8" square.  When I clicked on it, it would just go away?  This is a fairly new computer, running Windoze 10 and I had, had a problem before with it running older programs and the screen resolution.  I changed my screen resolution from the recommended 3840x 2160 to half of that 1920x1080 and wooo hooo we had Guzzidiag front and center and ready for me to ruin stuff with!

Now, it was time to follow Beetle's very well written and easy to follow instructions to the T, and lo and behold I was able to change my life!  I used John's (Xlratr) highly regarded 44i map after backing up the stock map, reset the TPS and the auto relearning thing.  Took it for a ride and all I can say is the dead spot between 3500 to 4200 is GONE!  It never really bothered me before as I would just ride above it anyway, but WOW, it sure is nice to be able to feel this thing pull like it was meant too.

A couple of questions.....

1.  My throttle was at 4.6, I understand it's supposed to be at 4.7 is this something that can be adjusted or should I not even concern myself with it?

2.  My idle showed 1250 while running, however with the bike off it was still showing 50?

3.  How long or how many miles do I need to give the auto learning?  It did die on my once right after the changes, and I figured it needed a little more time to get-r-done.

Many thanks again to Beetle for all his time and effort, John for the awesome map and Dan, Dan & Roger for showing me the way!

beetle

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
For the 8V, a TPS value of 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.8 is good. Any of those numbers is normal.

Showing 50 in the RPM while the engine is not running is odd, but I wouldn't be concerned.

Lambda is switched off in John's map, so there will not be any autolearning.

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
For the 8V, a TPS value of 4.6 or 4.7 or 4.8 is good. Any of those numbers is normal.

Showing 50 in the RPM while the engine is not running is odd, but I wouldn't be concerned.

Lambda is switched off in John's map, so there will not be any autolearning.

Thank you, Sir.

Offline dougo

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:29 PM »
Well,
 I have purchased Diag cables direct from China. Yes, they are cheap (at least until our rotten Govt charged tax on o/s purchases! May Harvey Norman rot in hell....) BUT you may not always get what you wish for!
 On my last purchase, I bought on the correct picture of the Fiat adaptor cable, but what arrived was different! (I was refunded, then we modified the cables using the correct connector, but not something for the un-technical) Also the last KKL OBD2 cables did not work with my Fiat cables because only one earth pin was earthed (ie the zero volt line). This was easily rectified, but a PITA. Btw, I ALWAYs check the Chinese cables, because wiring errors are not unknown. You definitely do not want to release the smoke!
 So, you have been warned! Getting the certified cables that will at least work first time.

regards, Doug

Offline mphcycles

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
Beetle,  I ask your help with a 2012 tbi V7 that is running a 29.0 ms pulse width at idle.  All primary inputs are withinh reason, so I thought maybe trying one of your maps might help. The maps are listed in XPF format ,  I cant figure a way to it to load with MUIG3 writer. was able to read and save to oe map. Other maps have been in BIN format. I leraned how to make those work.
ThaNks!
Mike Haven
MPH Cycles
16510 Park Row
Houston, Texas 77084
832 557 7214
www.mphcycles.com
 (Please just email me ,  I dont PM)

beetle

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
XPF? How odd.

Shoot me an email via 'request a map' on my website. www.griso.org

Give me all the details.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
Well,
 I have purchased Diag cables direct from China. Yes, they are cheap (at least until our rotten Govt charged tax on o/s purchases! May Harvey Norman rot in hell....) BUT you may not always get what you wish for!

regards, Doug

Our 'rotten government' is trying to protect the American worker...… BUY AMERICAN and support our nation and it's work force.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

pete roper

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
Is there an 'American' manufacturer of suitable cables?

Some of the available ones are a bit hit and miss. The Lonelec ones seem to always work. My guess is that they are all manufactured somewhere in the Far East. The critical issue would be oversight of manufacture.

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
Here's one from USA, don't know where it's made but specifies GuzziDiag. A USA company.

https://www.obdinnovations.com/kkl-obd2-usb-cable-ftdi-ft232rl-chip-3-pin-adapter-cable/

beetle

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »
Our 'rotten government' is trying to protect the American worker...� BUY AMERICAN and support our nation and it's work force.

Paul

dougo is Australian.  :rolleyes:

He's talking about our rotten government.

dougo, you can buy them from wherever you want. However, the must have the genuine FTDI chip, or they won't work.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:47:08 PM by beetle »

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »

dougo is Australian.  :rolleyes:

He's talking about our rotten government.

Fake news!

Flannel moth caterpillar
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:22:23 PM by LBC Tenni »
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here