Author Topic: Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!  (Read 612 times)

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!
« on: June 25, 2022, 08:18:18 PM »
Mounted a new rear Battleax on my '02 Stone today using the zip-tie method I've seen on Youtube. It was MUCH easier to get on than I expected. I think the more zip-ties used the easier it may be. Only took me 2 or 3 small bites with tire irons to get it on after pushing it 3/4 of the way onto the rim. 

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Zip-tie tire mount-- It really works!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »
Depends on the tire & rim. I've had an impossible experience a couple of times.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:40:04 PM »
Thanks for passing this suggestion along.  I still change tires by hand with the little 6" tire levers I used in the 1950s and a heavy rubber hammer and, yes, I use very profane language when doing it.

I also try to do my tire changes on really hot, Texas summer afternoons, after the tire has sat in the sun for a few hours and is more flexible.  A heat gun will do the job, but I feel it's safer for the tire to use the sun's heat.  A little Windex spray on the tire bead facilitates mounting, too.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:27:36 AM »
Depends on the tire & rim. I've had an impossible experience a couple of times.

I tend to agree.  Installing a new Battlax BT46 on my '87 LMIV rear was far easier than installing a Michelin Anakee Adventure on my '12 Wee Strom.  However, if ty-raps work for some of you, awesome!

FWIW, a few years ago got nomar & Mojolever tire bar and it is working for me so far (I had no success with nomar's tire bar).  However, I have used a powered changer in the past and think they're far superior but no longer have access to one.  On the other hand, shortly after I bought the nomar, a motorcycle repair shop opened up in the neighborhood.  If I had a clue that a repair shop would open close by I don't think I would have invested in a home set-up.
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:27:36 AM »

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks for passing this suggestion along.  I still change tires by hand with the little 6" tire levers I used in the 1950s and a heavy rubber hammer and, yes, I use very profane language when doing it.

I also try to do my tire changes on really hot, Texas summer afternoons, after the tire has sat in the sun for a few hours and is more flexible.  A heat gun will do the job, but I feel it's safer for the tire to use the sun's heat.  A little Windex spray on the tire bead facilitates mounting, too.

Ralph

I used to change tires on the ground with my stubby tire irons from the 70's.  Figured I have done it so many times I was doing the best I could. Then I picked up some new, longer tire irons and a Harbor Freight tire changing stand. WOW. What a difference. Not having to bend over so much makes it much easier on my now old back. Using Bead Buddies helps even more. Made me wonder why I waited so long.  :grin:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here