Author Topic: Cali 1400 Classic Wind Turbulance  (Read 1376 times)

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Cali 1400 Classic Wind Turbulance
« on: February 03, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »
All:  This subject has been covered, but it has been a while.  When I bought my 1400 about 18 months ago, it came with a fly screen.  No turbulence problem with that, but as cold weather started to come, I bought the standard 1400 Touring screen.  Much buffeting ensued.  After reading some of the earlier comments, I put some 1/4 inch spacers between the bracket and shield.  This helped some, not perfect but good enough, I still needed to lean forward to avoid the worst of it.  Late last year, one of our fellow posters was kind enough to sell me a set of the winglets that he no longer needed.  In addition to the installation, I removed the spacers.  As strange as it sounds, it was 65 and perfectly sunny here.  I knew that I was committing to a serious bike wash due to the chemical still thick on the road, but had to try it out in addition to having an exceptionally nice day to ride.
My advice - don't buy this screen without the winglets.  That little bit of air management let me ride with my visor up at 55-60 in serene comfort.  This was impossible before. As a bonus, after my appx 2 hour ride, my back and neck did not feel as tight as they normally had using the big shield.  My longer trips should be much more enjoyable during the upcoming season.
P.S.  I can't remember a ride where I have seen partly frozen creeks with waterfowl sitting on ice from the seat of my bike.  I am sure you western guys see this a lot at the higher elevations, but it was pretty new to me.
Blue Guzz

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cali 1400 Classic Wind Turbulance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
Winter riding is awesome .  Every day's a bonus!    Glad your  getting out this time of year.  :thumb:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »
Might want to check in with NC Dan, He's got the wind protection on the 1400 figured out .

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »

Lcarlson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
Winter riding is awesome .  Every day's a bonus!    Glad your  getting out this time of year.  :thumb:

Yes it is.  As for wind management on the Cali 14s, I found that the Touring screen by itself was almost intolerable over about 60 mph, but that the addition of the winglets basically solved the problem.

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 08:12:39 AM »
Our 2017 Cali Tour came from the factory with those little side wind deflectors and they seem to work well - but I wonder if they'd work better if they were longer.  Or wider.  Or both.

Over the years, we've either purchased, or fabricated lower wind deflectors for all the bikes we've owned.  Then we went to only buying the hardware and fabricating larger deflectors from 0.220 acrylic from our local Lowe's.  Which makes me wonder if the airflow might improve if we were to enlarge the existing factory side wind deflectors on that Cali Tour......

Example

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:13:59 AM by kballowe »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here