Author Topic: Help..oil pan blown pressure plg  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Re: Help..oil pan blown pressure plg
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »
Frank, First let me thank you for sending that unit back so we could take care of the problem. The Outsider is a part that we have made in various configurations since the late 70's. It is a part that we watch and monitor very closely.

During that time we have had a couple of different machine shops help us with these pieces. The run in which yours was produced was in late 2010. The shop that made that run decided to change the machine plug from stainless to aluminum for some unknown reason. This plug has always been stainless, and was never to be changed, but the "engineer" at that shop decided differently. The Aluminum plug was not strong enough to withstand the pressure and then would subsequently blow out.

Problems with these units became apparent very shortly after that run started making it's way onto motorcycles. 16 of them had made it to the street before we were able to realize a problem. 14 of those were returned and replaced or refunded at that time. For some reason the owners of the other two did not wish to return them. After calls, letters, certified letters etc, they still refused.

During our conversation on the phone, you told me the name of the individual you bought the bike from and, yes it was one of those two Outsiders. I believe that the other has been found during this thread because if one of the stainless ones blew out, (which to our knowledge, never have) it could not be pushed back in and welded to aluminum.

The Outsider is now manufactured with threaded plugs.

It was quite perplexing to me at the time why those individuals would not acknowledge the manufacturer of a product saying it was a problem and that they wanted to stand behind their product and replace the part. Especially since it was an oil issue. Thankfully, we now have it fixed completely. Your replacement is on its way back to you. If you have any questions, always feel free to call me.

Curtis Harper
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
From the backside of the planet I must make a comment about how impressed I am Curtis with the approach you have taken. I wish all manufacturers took your method of attacking a problem. ;-T ;-T ;-T
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »
Curtis, Mike,

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter. You guys are true business professionals in every way. I am sure all those familiar with your business are well aware of this and I asked for the explanation to put a close on this thread. Well done! You've got my business from here on.

Giusto (Frank)
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »
Thanks, we try the best we can. Screw some of it up, but we try. Nothing that we sell is worth more than the name Mike has built since 1967 in this business.
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »
Three cheers for Harper's!!!  Not many manufacturers would go to all this to fix something that wasn't really their fault.  Glad Frank is getting close to being on the road again. :BEER:

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
Three cheers for Harper's!!!  Not many manufacturers would go to all this to fix something that wasn't really their fault.  Glad Frank is getting close to being on the road again.

In fact, I think that Harper's, to their enormous credit, went to extreme lengths to fix this exactly because it was their problem. The Outsider is a signature product of Harper's and, no matter who provides services and supplies to them, this is a Harper's part. No one in the world of customers cares a fig who supplied Harper's with an unsuitable plug. What the customer cares about is that he gets the full value expected for his money. And, since that money is ultimately paid to Harper's, they get credit for the all that's good about the product and responsibility for any problems.

Once again, my point is only that Harper's "owns" the Outsider business and all of its related issues. And, once again, it is a tribute to their outstanding business practices that they tracked down and tried to make good on every non-conforming part they could identify -- in this case on a belated, but still very timely, basis.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline Mike Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • harpermoto.com
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
Just wondering if your new "Outsider" was received and you are back on the road.  ??

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the follow up. Yes up and running with no issues... Just in time for our spring weather.
You guys ate awesome!
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Mike Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • harpermoto.com
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
Thanks, Glad your going again

Mike and Curtis

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
Now that's the way it "should" work.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here