Author Topic: OEM rear shock, rebuild or replace on Breva 1100  (Read 5843 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
OEM rear shock, rebuild or replace on Breva 1100
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
The shock has gotten to the point where it seems to bottom more and more often and I guess its time to look at upgrading the suspension.

the bike has about 45k, the rear shock isn't leaking, and it is okay with just me but with the wife it seems too soft lately.

Is the OEM shock rebuild-able or should I just go with an aftermarket?  I would think at a minimum and stronger spring is in order to reduce the bottoming.

so, are there people who can rebuild the shock and if aftermarket, how to choose a quality company.  Seems to me that it would be better to have the OEM rebuilt to match my riding than to pick something off the shelf, but what do I know>

Old Head
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:30:49 AM by old head »
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
Re: OEM rear shock, rebuild or replace Breva 1100
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
Hi Oldhead

You could try the cheaper option of fitting a spring from a later Breva 1100. Spring rate was increased 10% from 8kg/mm to 8.8kg/mm, I believe.  I have done 55,000 miles on mine, always loaded with gear and often with a pillion. It's still OK.

Have you tried increasing the adjustable rebound damping?  It may stop the bike bouncing as much and reduce the incidence of bottoming-out.

The shock is rebuildable. A friend has just had his rebuilt.  Given that we're in Oz, that won't be a lot of use to you but does demonstrate that it can be done.

John
'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
John

the bike isn't bouncing like a car with worn shocks.  I adjusted the rebound based on what I have read here and on Guzzitech by Graham.  That adjustment made a noticeable difference in the ride right after I bought it new,  I adjust the spring pretension based on whether I am riding solo or the wife is riding with me.
Lately, we have been double quite a bit.
The ride is good on smooth roads, but when leaving parking lots, or roads where there are dips the rear end will bottom.  I imagine that it has always been weak, but when I first got the bike, it was mostly me riding, with the wife only rarely. 
Now that she is riding more and more with me, it seems the weakness of the unit more noticeable these days.

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »
I had Traxxion Dynamics put a heavier spring on, and re-valve, my Stelvio shock. Fairly cheap. Very good results.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
I had Traxxion Dynamics put a heavier spring on, and re-valve, my Stelvio shock. Fairly cheap. Very good results.

Closer to you than my guy, but FWIW, here's that info, too.

A couple of years ago, when I had concerns about my HyperPro after-market shock on my Norge -- no doubt caused by Kathi bring along her entire wardrobe and toilette equipage   ;) -- Jim Barron at Rose Farm Classics referred me to Bruce Blake of Michigan Engineering, Inc., in Michigan.

Bruce was very helpful before, during, and after the rebuilding process.  I also found his pricing, work, and turn-around to be first class.

As you can tell, I am a fan and recommend him without reservation.

Here's his 411 if you are interested.

www.mei-inc.com

Bill

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:30:48 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline auzziguzzi

• Gosling
  • This ain't no dress rehersal
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:07:49 AM »
Your experience, based on the key points you make below,  pretty much mirrors what happened with my original Breva 1100 Sachs.   The unit gets a little tired, lazy and loose but does retain sufficient rebound damping. 

I think I fitted the 10% stiffer, 8.8kg/mm, spring at about 15,000 miles and was happy enough with that improvement combined with the stock rebound damping and preload adjustment ranges.  It's difficult to get the right compromise between ride quality when fully loaded without making the ride too harsh when you're on your own.

Not sure what the answer is.   I have had pretty good results fitting a Stelvio shock to my Norge here in Oz.   The spring rate is still 8.8kg/mm, I believe, but the travel is 15mm longer at the shock.  This leads to about a 40mm longer travel at the wheel. 

It has the beneficial side effect of increasing the ground clearance because all the extra travel is accommodated by lengthening the eye-to-eye measurement, if you know what I mean.

John.

John

the bike isn't bouncing like a car with worn shocks. 
I adjust the spring pretension based on whether I am riding solo or the wife is riding with me.
The ride is good on smooth roads, but when leaving parking lots, or roads where there are dips the rear end will bottom. 
Now that she is riding more and more with me, it seems the weakness of the unit more noticeable these days.

'96 Sport 1100c (65,000 km)
'83 V50 III (80,000 km)
'06 Norge (162,000 km)
'90 NTX 650 (66,666 km)
'06 Breva 1100 (84,505 miles) SOLD 3/3/2022

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
Re: OEM rear shock, rebuild or replace on Breva 1100
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:28:48 AM »
I had the same experience as you have.
A lame spring after 40.000 km of riding two up.
I did nothing to the shock itself, just had a stiffer spring installed (Teo Lamers Holland - see url and picture below) and this worked out just fine.
Otoh, I sold the bike at 65.000 kms to buy a Norge so I can not tell how long this simple solution woud have lasted.
http://www.tlm.nl/nl/nieuws/algemeen/magazijn/vering-brevanorge/

Tanslation:
Suspension Breva/Norge
a reinforced spring

From today we have a reinforced spring for the rear suspension of the Breva 850 t/m 1200 and the Norge series in the magazine. It is a reinforced rear suspension spring, which replaces the original spring. In practice has shown that at maximum load the original spring in some cases proves inadequate.

This spring is advised in when you usually ride two-up (with or without luggage). Driving mainly solo, this spring might be too rigid. This reinforced spring costs currently EUR 115.

Please contact our workshop.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:56:33 AM by frans belgium »
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Brusss

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »
I am currently looking at replacement options for my 2006 Breva V11 rear shock. Last year I had the std shock rebuilt and a heavier spring fitted, but it is still not great. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket one available, which has compression adjustment as well as the rebound adjustment? I ride with pillion and luggage and mostly on rough/bumpy sealed roads here in NZ. I like to go off the main highway roads and take the more rural roads, as the highways are crawling with law enforcement type revenue gatherers.  ;-T:+=copcar

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:41:40 AM »
Hagon which have an agent in NZ will be as good as any.
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=M67038

http://www.eurobike.co.nz/products/99-shocks/701-hagon_monoshocks.aspx

Eurobike Wholesale Limited
Unit 14, 55 Rimu Street
New Plymouth 4312
NEW ZEALAND

Tel:    +6467 586 798
Fax:    +6467 585 879
Email:    marketing@eurobike.co.nz

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:11:00 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Brusss

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 01:39:20 PM »
Thanks Molly, I will try Eurobike in NZ.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here