Author Topic: Watching golf is boring!  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
Watching golf is boring!
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
Wife has upstairs and downstairs TVs on the Masters. I keep telling her that golf is not a spectator sport and she keeps changing my motocross channel. :( :(

Can this marriage be saved??? ??? ??? ???
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
Re: Watching golf is boring!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »
Went to a sports bar to watch Moto GP today. We had way more fun the the golfers. And they had us outnumbered about 20 to 1. They were awfully quiet.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
We watch both today, 1st the Masters, then the MotoGP, then the Masters some more.  You have 2 TVs.  I don't get your problem.  ???  I can see some finding golf boring but I still like to watch it as I have no patience to do it myself.  :D  Some golf courses are beautiful, especially for desert habitants like us.  :)

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
We watch both today, 1st the Masters, then the MotoGP, then the Masters some more.  You have 2 TVs.  I don't get your problem.  ???  I can see some finding golf boring but I still like to watch it as I have no patience to do it myself.  :D  Some golf courses are beautiful, especially for desert habitants like us.  :)

I guess just tired of running up and down the stairs changing channels. ;D ;D ;D

Hey - some of my best friends are golfers! ;-T

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
Don't they have the motocross racing on at the Anchorage?
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
 Some journo wrote a column where he dreamed of riding a MX bike on the Augusta National course , so it is possible to have both  :D
 I don't play either , but watching Phil hole out from a bunker for an Eagle is pretty cool .

Dusty
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:07:41 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
If I lived in Kingman I'd probably watch grass on the tv also. I have ridden a horse through the course at Pebble Beach in California, back before they tore the stables there down. We were instructed to stay on the cart path, at pain of $50 / hoof print.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »
Watching golf (to me & my wife) is analogous to watching paint dry on a wall.  LOL

I attempted to get interested in playing golf, twice in my life (about ten years apart).  Both times, the novelty wore off within a month or so and there never was a third time.  The last time was over 20+ years ago.  No disrespect to those who play or love watching golf'; there's just a lot of people like me who don't get any pleasure from playing or watching.
NO longer can ride

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »
Dangit!  TiVo recorded MotoGP.  Counting the track d.lay it stopped recording with 11laps to go.  I'll tape it again (+1hr) then watch it tomorrow.

I like Mickelson. Nice to see an old timer up on the board.
Ever notice on that prescription commercial that he NEVER blinks.  It's creepy.

I wonder if all those folks in the gallery get to keep those nifty Masters camping chairs?
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:49 PM »
You & I may not like to play golf but those that do as pros can play their whole adult life and make millions of $ without ever winning a tournament nowadays. If they win a tournament that's $1 million+ for that 4 days of play. I don't know of any other sport that you can play your whole adult life and get paid doing something you love.

Today 21 years old Jordan Spieth(Texas) made $1+ million winning the Masters golf tournament.  He is now rated #2 in the World of Golf.  He can play all over the World and will be paid to show up in other countries no matter how he performs there.

The ironic thing is most the top golf money makers from European countries live in the US because of the higher taxes they would pay if they lived in their home country.  Many foreigners live in Florida.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:00:20 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:34:39 AM »
There was a time back in my thirties when the weekends that were not spent on a motorcycle were spend in my friends Dragon class yacht.

On the way to our anchorage, a half hour trip, we would oft play a car game of spot the ......... (fill in the blank) There were quite large points for spotting a golfer especially if it was raining.  We thought they were strange form of local fauna indeed!

Of course, we completely ignored the fact that we were about to partake of an activity
that was expensive, bumpy and often uncomfortable, and often the equivalent of standing in a cold shower.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

56Pan

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:05:26 AM »
Watching golf (to me & my wife) is analogous to watching paint dry on a wall.  LOL

I attempted to get interested in playing golf, twice in my life (about ten years apart).  Both times, the novelty wore off within a month or so and there never was a third time.  The last time was over 20+ years ago.  No disrespect to those who play or love watching golf'; there's just a lot of people like me who don't get any pleasure from playing or watching.

:+1 Much worse than watching paint dry in my case. 

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 04:27:29 AM »
Good news the golf is now only avaiable here in the U.K. on the SKY sports subsription channel. No Masters or British open from this year on the BBC, bliss.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 05:51:09 AM »
Golf is the natural enemy of boating, so I cannot abide it.

"Golf is a good walk wasted"  -Mark Twain
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

ponti_33609

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:05 AM »
My wife and I play both golf and tennis.  I think if you have or do perform the activity you find some pleasure and value in watching it on TV.  My wife doesn't operate a motorcycle so watching a Moto GP is boring to her and is nothing more than watching bikes go around a track.  Knowing the pressure of playing golf (too much time to think about your next shot) I appreciate that kid yesterday hitting that ball out of the trees on the 14th or 15th hole in that moment.  I would have hit my next shot off the next closest tree. 

Many sports are the same.  I played ball so I enjoy watching a game where others can be bored by the pace especially if it is low scoring.  Because I have been fortunate to engage in many different activities I tend to enjoy most on television.  Side note - I played hockey growing up and was my favorite sport to play.  I also find it the best in-person event to attend of the major sports and is the worst to watch on TV.

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »
"Oh! Look at all the golfs!"  _ Curley Howard
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
I'm a golfer holic wannabe!  I take big breaks each summer for my bike rides.  Starting off this year with a big conflict with the "START" in Dillard Georgia.  I'm already signed up to play in the Senior Amateur Tour for Louisiana in Alex.

I take some heat from both bunch of friends.  The golfers say, "your too old to ride motorcycles"!
The bikers say, "what a puxxy, you would miss a big ride in the Smokies for golf???"
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
It completely amazes me that golf is so popular. Hope I never get so bored with life that it becomes fun to chase a little ball around a beautiful park like setting. ;D

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
The one thing I do like about watching golf (under useless protest! :() is when 150 people all yell "get in the hole" when someone putts.
Sounds like something you would yell at a gopher. ::)

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
I really don't like to watch any sporting event.  I will play, or at least I used to.  Baseball was my favorite until my shoulder gave out.  Golf and archery are my current ones.

Golf is not really a sport like basketball or football.  It is a "mind" game.  Archery is the same. They are both good ways to relieve stress.

I also don't play golf as much as I used to.  Uses up too much time and can be hard on the wallet.  Archery is much cheaper :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Penderic

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
There is Golf for serious pros and then there is the type of golf that would be make a good Hollywood game show! :BEER:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:52:25 AM by Penderic »

ponti_33609

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
I really don't like to watch any sporting event.  I will play, or at least I used to.  Baseball was my favorite until my shoulder gave out.  Golf and archery are my current ones.

Golf is not really a sport like basketball or football.  It is a "mind" game.  Archery is the same. They are both good ways to relieve stress.

I also don't play golf as much as I used to.  Uses up too much time and can be hard on the wallet.  Archery is much cheaper :)

Well put Charlie and agree.  Love to play but difficult due to time commitment.  Golf is like Guzzi's, you don't get it unless you have tried.  :>

prof_stack

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
Yes, watching golf is boring.  PLAYING golf is frustrating!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
My first wife was concerned about cost when I started taking up glider flying. She came home one day and said that she had got involved in a golf conversation with a couple of golfing coworkers. She learned that my flying cost less than golfing and never said anything again about the cost. Yes, gliding is a mind sport.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

Do you keep your weed stashed in the ABS  pipe?  ;)
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

ponti_33609

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »
I am not sure which one I like watching better.  Tennis is a great sport to watch as well.  ;)  

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:26:05 PM by ponti33602 »

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
Actually I do like to watch bobsledding! :BEER:

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Actually I do like to watch bobsledding! :BEER:

;-T ;-T ;-T
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here