Author Topic: Sad tale of a long lost Guzzi  (Read 9232 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
Sad tale of a long lost Guzzi
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
Many moons ago There was a potentially happy family living in Vermont. Chris & Libby were engaged and Libby's "baby" was a red 1987 V65 Lario. For whatever reason, the engagement was called off & Libby took a new job in Wash DC. Circumstances prevented her taking the Guzzi, so she left it with Chris for his use until she had a place for it in her new life. She held on to the title & the right side mirror (broken off in a tip-over). Years passed, when Libby finally had a place for the bike she attempted to contact Chris, only to find he'd disappeared. No forwarding addy etc.
More years passed, a sister of Libbys called her to say that Chris had turned up, living in Northern Va. Libby immediately got in touch, only to be told that he'd sold the bike "to a collector" because he needed the money. He had no idea what had become of the bike, & no interest in pursuing it for Libby. Strong words made no impression.
So, Libby would like to find her bike. What would she do if she found it?
 "That's a good question, it was my favorite bike, but lord knows what kind of condition it's in. I guess that would be the biggest factor"
Known facts:
 X-fiancee, Illegal seller's full name is Chris McFarland.
Bike Vin; ZGUPTAPTOHM100144
I'll pass on any info that turns up.
Thanks,
ronkom

THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Sad tale of a long lost Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »
Now that she knows where Chris is, and that he sold her bike "illegally", has she contacted the police about a stolen vehicle?

If she does in fact still retain legal ownership, whoever Chris sold it to will be SOL and will have to surrender the motorcycle.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Me, I'd contact the sheriff and ask for his help in finding it.   Sounds like Chris stole the bike and "fenced" it to a perhaps unknowing buyer.   

When people steal stuff and you know who it is and where they are, we can put our tax dollars to work and get those guys looking for it ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
 :pop

The trail is cold enough and the relationships / reasons sufficiently entangled that it will be challenging to get the law boys interested, but if the aggrieved party pushes hard enough they should be able to get some cooperation from the law and the DMV. I wonder if there's any statute of limitations effects.

Unless she's willing to push hard, it's a dead issue.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:05:13 PM »
:pop

The trail is cold enough and the relationships / reasons sufficiently entangled that it will be challenging to get the law boys interested, but if the aggrieved party pushes hard enough they should be able to get some cooperation from the law and the DMV. I wonder if there's any statute of limitations effects.

Unless she's willing to push hard, it's a dead issue.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/01/18/stolen-corvette-returned-after-37-years/

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
Was he an "illegal" seller or was the bike abandon? How long did she wait before inquiring getting the bike back? 1 month 20 years??

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/01/18/stolen-corvette-returned-after-37-years/

Difference being he reported it stolen right away. The gal in question may be seen as abandoning the bike. Kinda like people who don't pick up bikes after service and having a lien placed on them.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
Without a written agreement between the parties, it's going to be a civil matter.  He will claim that either she told him to sell it or that she abandoned the bike.  If it had been reported as stolen within a short period after she left Vermont, then she would have a police report and that would be a different matter.
And since it would be a civil matter, you're talking attorneys and money.......lot's of money.  Better to just let it go and move on.
NO longer can ride

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
Without a written agreement between the parties, it's going to be a civil matter.  He will claim that either she told him to sell it or that she abandoned the bike.  If it had been reported as stolen within a short period after she left Vermont, then she would have a police report and that would be a different matter.
And since it would be a civil matter, you're talking attorneys and money.......lot's of money.  Better to just let it go and move on.

As you've probably stated the case correctly, it's still worth a try for Ron to give a scan around (like this) and see if anyone knows the bike.   And I'll betcha there's someone here, among all the various jobs and professions here, that might have access to a buddy that can drop that VIN in the database and see if it's .... somewhere.   Could be in an impound lot, could be in the garage of a Good Guzzi Guy who will help make things right, you never know ....

Lannis

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
As you've probably stated the case correctly, it's still worth a try for Ron to give a scan around (like this) and see if anyone knows the bike.   And I'll betcha there's someone here, among all the various jobs and professions here, that might have access to a buddy that can drop that VIN in the database and see if it's .... somewhere.   Could be in an impound lot, could be in the garage of a Good Guzzi Guy who will help make things right, you never know ....
Lannis
Yep, you're right; why not?  You never know if you don't ask. 
NO longer can ride

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »
A search for that VIN by google returns only this page.

A search for VIN + DMV + motorcycle + search

returns some interesting results.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
Technically it's a theft,, but the fact that she left it for him to use really murkies the water,, because now they've entered into a civil agreement. If she really wants the bike,, and has no qualms launching a complaint of theft against him,,,do it right now,,, as soon as she becomes aware that she has been victimized(make good notes).
Once the stolen vehicle report has been made, it has to be enterred on police databases as stolen,,, if it's out there,, it will automatically show up in the system,,, for her it would be like buying a loto ticket for her old bike,, she just might be a winner!
If it's gone underground for parts or revinned, she's out of luck.
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
Statute of limitations has long expired - usually five years.   Not much to do on the criminal side.

Doesn't mean he didn't steal it, they just wont prosecute.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offcamber1

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
Why doesn't Libby just say to hell with Chris and buy my damned fine 86 Lario for $2900.00?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=72385.0

Kip

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Statute of limitations has long expired - usually five years.   Not much to do on the criminal side.

Doesn't mean he didn't steal it, they just wont prosecute.

Then it's up to US!   :o ;)

Speaking of knowing a guy who knows a guy .... you don't suppose anyone we know could take this VIN and see if it's on a national database somewhere?   Just as a service, public-spirited citizens an' all, helping out a gal who needs it ... ?   Sort of a fell off the back of the truck sort of thing?

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
Then it's up to US!   :o ;)

Speaking of knowing a guy who knows a guy .... you don't suppose anyone we know could take this VIN and see if it's on a national database somewhere?   Just as a service, public-spirited citizens an' all, helping out a gal who needs it ... ?   Sort of a fell off the back of the truck sort of thing?

Lannis

Not that easy to do since it was never reported stolen . Finding this bike will likely be pure serendipity .

Dusty

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 08:01:36 PM »
No can do, not exactly in my wheelhouse.  Better to find a local cop and have him run the VIN. 

And if you DO find it, then what?  Probably retitled, and  the new owner most likely has no clue.  You'd open up a can of worms that someone might regret.  Lesson learned - Don't leave your bike with a jilted ex fiance and expect to get it back many moons later.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:04:13 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
Kinda what I've been trying to say , but yeah .

Dusty

Oh, I thought serendipity was a GOOD thing!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
Anyone can search a VIN and see what's on record, only costs $4.95. http://www.add123.com/
Charlie

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 08:18:55 PM »
I would say she should go after Chris and see if he would "kindly" pay her the money he sold it for.  Then she can put that toward Kips fine bike.  I doubt going after her original bike will yield the results she's looking for.I would think there would be red tape to get through knee deep.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
I don't think that will locate a vehicle .

Dusty

It won't "locate it", but it will tell you when and where it has been registered.
Charlie

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
Why doesn't Libby just say to hell with Chris and buy my damned fine 86 Lario for $2900.00?

Kip
Well dayum, Kip, some would have you think you could sell a Left Head for $2.9K!
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »
pure serendipity
thanks for that 5c word - gave me a smile in the midst of this tale of a man behaving badly.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

Kip

That would probably be the cheapest, quickest,  and best thing to do.. If she really wants a Lario again...

;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
I would say she should go after Chris and see if he would "kindly" pay her the money he sold it for.  Then she can put that toward Kips fine bike.  I doubt going after her original bike will yield the results she's looking for.I would think there would be red tape to get through knee deep.

(in Chris' voice)

"Sure, I'll pay you the money, as soon as you pay me $X/month x[number of months I stored it for you] = (hey -- how about that) $500 less than what I got when I sold it.  So you owe me $500."

Offcamber1

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Well dayum, Kip, some would have you think you could sell a Left Head for $2.9K!

Hmmm. Time to start another thread instead of stealing (pardon the expression) the thunder from this one?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:36 PM »

(in Chris' voice)

"Sure, I'll pay you the money, as soon as you pay me $X/month x[number of months I stored it for you] = (hey -- how about that) $500 less than what I got when I sold it.  So you owe me $500."

Or whatever other money she left owing the guy...    :o

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
thanks for that 5c word - gave me a smile in the midst of this tale of a man behaving badly.

Yeah , had to try spelling it three times  ::) :D

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »
About 5 years ago I agreed to let a woman leave a portable massage table at my house for a day or two while she got her shit together. 
end of story. 

Moral is that you don't have to be an asshat to eventually get tired of tripping over the crap people have entrusted to your 'free', climate-controlled, secure storage.  If she'd left it at an actual storage facility, it would have been sold a few weeks after she got behind in payments.  The part that she comes back after YEARS of not caring enough to check up on it doesn't speak well of her responsibility.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here