Author Topic: CalVin footboard lowering  (Read 514 times)

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
CalVin footboard lowering
« on: February 08, 2023, 08:47:20 AM »
I have a new-to-me '07 CalVin.  The footboards are a bit high.  I'll get used to them I'm sure, but do I have to?  Google searches haven't turned up any lowering mods yet but I thought I'd consult the brain trust here.  Has anyone lowered them?   
Tim

Online guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: CalVin footboard lowering
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »
Maybe a custom taller seat would be better/ easier ?

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 09:29:00 AM »
I was going to do that to my EVT, but with the lower boards, my knees would have been against the heads. My left knee already rubs the head a little. If your sure you still have knee clearance, then you could weld on some extensions to the existing board mount. Another thing to consider if you do lower them, is cornering clearance.

As mentioned a higher seat would be good, but if your already on your toes at a stop, it will be worse.

The only mod I did do to my boards was to raise the rear of the board to make it flatter. Stock angle made me feel like I was on my toes.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »
You can't go down much cause of the exhaust. Search the H-D scene, they were the same at one time.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 09:43:06 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 09:54:11 AM »
Your issue is the very reason that I got rid of my favorite motorcycle of all time.
The riding position jacked my knees up which put 80% of the stress on my lower back and the only way to get away from the issues it caused was to use stomach muscles for support. Over a short period it would wear me down.
The PO had a seat modification adding 2” to the seat height.
That looked awkward and put me on the balls of my feet and I won’t own a bike that I can’t flat foot.
Here’s a picture of the riding position in motion and the issue is obvious.
Good luck with a fix.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 10:59:16 AM »
The late great Mike Tiberio (RIP) lowered his, there's info on a thread called calvin brain trust school me or something like that...

You're right though, they're stupidly high, after about 150,000 miles on mine I got the angle grinder out and pif paf, they're gone. They're also surprising heavy including the support brakets

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 12:26:52 PM »
Maybe a custom taller seat would be better/ easier ?

That's an option, yes.  Actually, I'd like to convert it to a solo seat. 
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »
I was going to do that to my EVT, but with the lower boards, my knees would have been against the heads. My left knee already rubs the head a little. If your sure you still have knee clearance, then you could weld on some extensions to the existing board mount. Another thing to consider if you do lower them, is cornering clearance.

As mentioned a higher seat would be good, but if your already on your toes at a stop, it will be worse.

The only mod I did do to my boards was to raise the rear of the board to make it flatter. Stock angle made me feel like I was on my toes.

Tom

I hadn't thought about knee clearance, will look at that.  I'm very comfortably flat footed now so could raise it without issues. 
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 12:31:14 PM »
Your issue is the very reason that I got rid of my favorite motorcycle of all time.
The riding position jacked my knees up which put 80% of the stress on my lower back and the only way to get away from the issues it caused was to use stomach muscles for support. Over a short period it would wear me down.
The PO had a seat modification adding 2” to the seat height.
That looked awkward and put me on the balls of my feet and I won’t own a bike that I can’t flat foot.
Here’s a picture of the riding position in motion and the issue is obvious.
Good luck with a fix.

Thanks.  I'm accustomed to tall bikes and have no need to get both feet--or even one--flat on the ground. 
Tim

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 12:31:49 PM »
The late great Mike Tiberio (RIP) lowered his, there's info on a thread called calvin brain trust school me or something like that...

You're right though, they're stupidly high, after about 150,000 miles on mine I got the angle grinder out and pif paf, they're gone. They're also surprising heavy including the support brakets

Yep. https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75122.msg1197969#msg1197969
Charlie

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 12:37:30 PM »

Oh, I didn't realize Mike had passed.  Seeing him race his Pro Twins bike is a big reason why I have Guzzi's. 

I met him in more recent years when he'd bring his Eldo 'vert or land-speed bike to the local cars and coffee thing. 

I'll look for that thread, thanks. 
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 12:43:19 PM »
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:43:58 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 09:27:55 AM »
My first ride on the EV was almost my last, within 2 miles I was getting a terrible cramp n my right thigh that interfered with braking, never experienced that on any other bike, my XS 11 had floor boards but compared seating position noticed my knees were much higher than my hips. But the EV was rideable if I kept my heels on the passenger pegs. Got a taller seat from Ned’s in Iowa at Elkader rally. My knees now ride about level with my hips, still not ideal but , That helped a lot. But when I’m on the open road I still hang my heels on the passenger pegs.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 10:19:31 AM »
Was heading out for a couple of weeks on my T3FB and decided I wanted more leg room. I completely inflated my AirHawk Seat Cushion and gained about an inch altitude. Legs felt better and butt felt no worse for the deviation from recommended inflation.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here