Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: difficult double center stand spring
« Last post by DesertPilot on Today at 09:54:23 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.
Aaargh!  Why didn't I ever think of that?  :grin:
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by MerleLowe on Today at 09:54:09 AM »
This is a gross generalization, but more cylinders of smaller capacity allow the engine designer to use a shorter stroke for the same displacement.  Power (in general again) is made by increasing the number of combustion events within a given time.  The shorter stroke allows higher RPM due to lower piston speeds and inertial forces.  The use of smaller cylinders makes for smaller valves, also lowering inertial forces permitting higher speed operation.  Now that the reciprocating assembly and valvetrain can withstand higher speed operation, you can optimize the tuning to move more air/fuel mix at those high RPMs.  More bangs = more power all else being equal.

Torque comes from cylinder pressure and displacement.  You'll notice that most modern engine designs make similar torque numbers for like CCs with very different peak HP numbers.  WHERE that torque peak occurs is a different matter.  Notice that most 1000cc engines come in a bit above 70 lb/ft but at very different engine speeds.

In practice, inline 4s for motorcycles are generally (there it is again) quite oversquare with relatively large valve area.  This makes for a relatively high flow cylinder head with lots of valve area.  In that case you can still use somewhat mild cam timing and still get good cylinder fill at high speeds without killing cylinder pressure at lower RPM.  The end result is a very wide torque curve but with a peak relatively high up the RPM scale.

Also in practice, twins end up with longer strokes, higher piston speeds and lower redlines.  The tuning is then (generally again) optimized for lower-speed operation.  This means often the rider is running the engine closer to the torque peak and gets fast strong response to throttle inputs.  This is interpreted as "torquey" since it is so immediately available. 

That's when aesthetics comes into play.  You might prefer the running characteristics of a lower-hp engine that gives the feel, sound and throttle response that you prefer.  Just know that the choice can greatly affect performance.  The extreme end of this would be the current HD and Indian air-cooled v-twins.  Peak torque is at very low speeds.
General Discussion / Re: difficult double center stand spring
« Last post by John Croucher on Today at 08:39:48 AM »
Attach the springs on each end before putting the pivot screws in.  Makes it a lot easier.
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by faffi on Today at 04:34:02 AM »
General Discussion / Re: V100 Mandello Clutch feel
« Last post by gwensp on Today at 04:27:13 AM »
Ive not noticed any pulsing on the clutch on mine at 16000 miles.

Agree about service costs it is £70 over here (UK) for the air filters and the 5 litres of oil is about £60. Oh and changing the alternator belt at 15000 is a pain requiring body work off and tank off.  Checking the valves (not reshimming) is also a complete faddle, the outer exhaust valves are easy to check but the front intake is a complete nightmare to check, you need an extra wrist and eyes on stalks to see what you are doing.
General Discussion / Re: V100 Mandello engine heat
« Last post by gwensp on Today at 04:20:00 AM »
I've got 16000 miles on my V100S and dont find heat to be an issue (I am UK and we arent known for having hot days so take what I say with a pinch of salt)
General Discussion / Re: T3 Dashboard Options
« Last post by frozengoose on Today at 01:53:05 AM »
General Discussion / Re: T3 Dashboard Options
« Last post by Scout63 on Today at 01:09:33 AM »
I used that dash plate with Motogadget gauges and cups on my G5 build.  It fits and works well, but I ended up going back to the stock T3 gauges and mounts.  I thought they looked better. The idiot light lenses in the stock top plate are very fiddly.
General Discussion / Re: Identifying and stripping silencers?
« Last post by bigbikerrick on Today at 12:00:20 AM »
I dont think your chrome plating is any good. There is quite a bit of rust that I can see. If those were mine, I would sand blast them to bare metal, and paint them with high heat paint, or have them ceramic coated.
Rick.
General Discussion / Re: What is this part?
« Last post by Air-Cooled on April 15, 2024, 10:28:55 PM »
Yes, that must be it!  I found it next to the front wheel after wiping it down between the spokes.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here