Author Topic: Chuck Berry gone at 90  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Chuck Berry gone at 90
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
yes, he invented rock and roll, he was also a poet and had a impact upon the English language.  (And so did the late Jimmy Breslin as written by Charles Pierce)

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a53957/chuck-berry-and-jimmy-breslin/

Chuck Berry invented the language of rock and roll and, through that, reinvented the English language for several generations. He did it in that most American way possible, the way Mark Twain did it, or Walt Whitman, or Kerouac. He did it by experimenting, by playing with the language as though it were the greatest toy he'd ever found. Consider the other things he did with it.

As I was motorvatin' up over the hill/I saw Maybellene in a Coupe de Ville. (Maybellene)

You'd motorvated in your time, too. You just didn't know the word for it.

Pay phone, somethin' wrong, dime gone, will mail/ I ought to sue the operator for tellin' me a tale

Ah, too much monkey business, too much monkey business/ Too much monkey business for me to be involved in. (Too Much Monkey Business)

Close observation of the human condition. (You had similar botheration last week, didn't you?) And, from it, Bob Dylan was inspired to write "Subterranean Homesick Blues."

They furnished off an apartment with a two room Roebuck sale/ The coolerator was crammed with TV dinners and ginger ale. (C'est La Vie).

Coolerator. It's where you get the cold drink after a hard day of motorvatin' and campaign shoutin', I guess.

And, finally, the restatement of the American Dream for a new century, just the way Walt Whitman yawped it in the streets of Manhattan.

His mother told him, "Someday you will be a man,/ And you will be the leader of a big old band.

Many people coming from miles around/ To hear you play your music when the sun go down.

Maybe someday your name will be in lights/ Saying 'Johnny B. Goode tonight'."
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here