Author Topic: V7 First Year Mods  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
V7 First Year Mods
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »
I have owned my V7iii Special for just over a year, in that time I have made a number of improvements and some changes, you can decide which is which.
The first picture shows the dam I made around the tool tray so I could get a decent kit in there. I carry the manual underneath the tools in a plastic bag. I have supplemented the tool kit
with a wrench for all the bolts and a full set of Allen keys. To make a bit more room I heated the mudguard with a heat gun and pushed the hump down with a block of wood. There is actually a ton of space under the side covers if you wanted to carry some larger tools but of course access is restricted.
Notice the 3 lights to the left of the fuse block, there is a light for each of the relays, this is a troubleshooting aid, they put on a little light show as you start the machine. If for any reason the bike won't start the lights will give a valuable clue. Click on the pictures to zoom in.

I carry a USB charger for my phone and a test lamp. The dam bent from 1-1/2" aluminium flat bar and attached using existing 8mm tapped holes, any sheet metal would do.

I was given a Top Box so I carved a bracket out of 1/4" Aluminium plate cutting it out on a band saw, As well as the side mounting it also has a brace to the grab rail so its super strong.

That looks better don't you think? Italian made pistol case.

Rear view, I bent the ends together and riveted them in the centre. I don't really like the look of a top box but it was free (Guzzi content) one day I may change it for a Pelican box or a pair of Ammo cans.

Waterproof and lockable.

Next I added a decent set of hooters and driving lights, the horns were originally bolted solid but that spoils the note they make so they are now sprung loaded. you can barely see the metal strip below the aluminium bracket, The horn relay sits where the original squeaker sat and I have a decent feed to supply it.

Front view. The lights are switched but I defy anyone to figure out how lol
You can just see the 4 x 6mm bolts holding the bracket under the headlight, these holes were pre-tapped at the factory.

I added a simple pocket under the seat to hold the insurance papers.
Again the holes were pre-tapped at the factory.

I had to send my Girbing vest in for repair so I asked them to send me a 2 channel heat controller, they sent their latest Bluetooth model, its glued to the side of the air-box under the side cover
and set via the Bluetooth gismo on the bars, I took that off for the summer,

Now this accessory is really essential for - 19 survival, all the coffee bars are closed.

So we have to resort to drive through, the first time I dropped my change on the ground, that won't happen again,
The magnetic tray is also handy to hold papers or a map perhaps. (16 gauge Aluminum just pinched between the handlebar clamp) The cup holder just clips onto the mirror stem protected by clear heat shrink tube with a ty-wrap for safety, the Hula hoop is a recycled bicycle spoke, I find these are the handiest things, stainless and very strong.

Why do I have a picture of the wheel? Its now tubeless thats why.

How about adding to this thread with any innovations you have made, especially the ones that cost nothing but time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:15:04 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: V7 First Year Mods
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »
The driving lights are hooked up to the side stand cut off switch? :wink: :wink:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:51:25 PM »
The magnetic coin tray is absolutely ridiculous but I love it.  :cheesy:
Bellagio

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »
I was just going to say the same-  the magnetic tray is gloriously redonkulous.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:04:36 PM »
Damn, Roy, now you're just showing off!  Really nicely done.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:13:23 AM »
I bloody well like that..!

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 05:32:01 AM »
Re the magnetic coin tray, does it magnetically hold the coins in place?

Are coins in Canada magnetic?

My own story;  I cycle up to Canada, but not often enough.  On my last trip, I took the bills and coins from a previous trip, some years ago.  I stopped for coffee at a Tim Hortons, and the teenager behind the counter refused my money, saying he didn't recognize it.  Apparently Canada had revamped their currency.

Fortunately there was an old codger behind me in line, who vouched for the authenticity of the dollars, and told the youth that he had to take it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:37:16 AM by sign216 »
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 05:52:33 AM »
That tool/troubleshooting kit and accommodation is super neat.  You are just the buddy I'd like to have along on a cross country trip.  Way to go, Roy.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 05:57:38 AM »
Re the magnetic coin tray, does it magnetically hold the coins in place?

Are coins in Canada magnetic?

My own story;  I cycle up to Canada, but not often enough.  On my last trip, I took the bills and coins from a previous trip, some years ago.  I stopped for coffee at a Tim Hortons, and the teenager behind the counter refused my money, saying he didn't recognize it.  Apparently Canada had revamped their currency.

Fortunately there was an old codger behind me in line, who vouched for the authenticity of the dollars, and told the youth that he had to take it.
All our silver coins are attracted (Nickel content I think) we used to have a copper penny but that's been abandoned, you probably tried to pay with a $2 bill thats been phased out also, yes all our bills are modified. I have lots of US coins, I haven't tried those, if they don't work I'll stay home lol
Update: Sorry to say the magnetic money tray is "Only in Canada eh!" the rest of you guys will have to make a little tray with sides for your non-magnetic change.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:11:17 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 06:02:47 AM »
All our silver coins are attracted (ferrous is the term I think) we used to have a copper penny but that's been abandoned, you probably tried to pay with a $2 bill thats been phased out also, yes all our bills are modified.

Okay, the USA abandoned "silver" in the 1960's, and our "copper" penny isn't even copper anymore.  However, I think our nickel is still nickel.  But all our coins are still non-ferrous. 

They've been talking about stopping the penny, and also dropping the paper dollar, but there's too much resistance.

P.S.  Sorry for the thread drift.  With ferrous coins, the magnetic coin plate is a great idea. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 06:26:49 PM »
I like how you've mounted the driving lights. Do you have more details on that, please? I used some springy  strapping & aluminium plate to mount them to the fork tubes. Works well, but need removing (& cleaning, polishing & fresh rubbers) each fork oil change.

The stripes on the Bagster tank bra are fading with the UV, but it sure keeps the tank underneath bright & shiny.

And the piece de resistance - a rare earth magnet on the bottom frame rail holds a 5mm Allen key. If I add another (4mm) or a 10 mm spanner, they tend to vanish, but Te single one has stayed on for over 100,000km on this bike, and another for some 200,000km on the other.

I would like to try adding a relay to the horns (Hellas), but I haven't yet been able to translate any of my collection of instructions & diagrams to my V7s' particular hardware. (Even though I did manage to do so on other bikes back in the 70's & 80's).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:56 PM »
What is it with people adding magnets to their bikes to hold coins and Allen keys?   :shocked:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:23:42 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 12:23:34 AM »
I like how you've mounted the driving lights. Do you have more details on that, please? I used some springy  strapping & aluminium plate to mount them to the fork tubes. Works well, but need removing (& cleaning, polishing & fresh rubbers) each fork oil change.

I would like to try adding a relay to the horns (Hellas), but I haven't yet been able to translate any of my collection of instructions & diagrams to my V7s' particular hardware. (Even though I did manage to do so on other bikes back in the 70's & 80's).
Re Horn/light mounting.
If you look up at the steering from underneath there are 4 tapped holes in the lower steering plate. just make a flat plate to mount there. The type of horns I used must be mounted horizontal or water gets trapped inside destroying them, I just made a bend where they mount, However as I said if you mount the horns rigid they don't sound right so I used the metal strip that was shipped with them and bent it to look as though the horns are still mounted on the plate, theres an "O" ring making sure they don't make contact.
The relay is mounted where the original horns were and the coil is driven from the original horn wires, they are far too small to operate a decent horn. Take a #16 equivalent and run a new feed through a fuse to the relay contact and on the other side a #16 to each horn with a chassis return.

I'm sorry to have to tell you guys living Stateside or in the Southern hemisphere, your money won't stick to a magnetic tray, The Kiwi 10c and 20c will but not the larger denominations.

What is it with people adding magnets to their bikes to hold coins and Allen keys?   :shocked:
We are a weird mob down under.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:20:22 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 01:42:22 AM »

It's just that out on the road, the tools are usually at the bottom of the luggage or under the seat (so to access them the bags have to come off too), so if you sprinkle a few of most used minor tools around in easily accessible places, you save yourself some grief. Note, mind you, that although many have noticed & commented, there has not been a significant (or even noticeable) take up of this feature. Works for me, occasionally useful.

Offline Bobic69

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »
Too true. On my last big trip my gear shifter fell off. Had to pull off all the camping gear and luggage to get to the tools.
Bellagio

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 04:04:17 AM »
Too true. On my last big trip my gear shifter fell off. Had to pull off all the camping gear and luggage to get to the tools.

And all you needed was rage 5mm allen. Been there, done that. Though eventually the Imm angle grinder blade did the trick.

Offline Chethro

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 06:10:53 AM »
Some cheap/easy mods include.

Using a rubber compression nut to mount a ring to the frame and then wire tie the tool bag to. I removed the stock rubber foot peg cover, filled in part way up with JB weld to make a level surface and cut rubber that is flush with the outside edge of the peg mount. It's about 3/4" lower and stock height on the bottom. I removed the stock shifter peg and replaced it with a shorter bolt with some fuel hose over it. This made room for my adventure boots and my size 13's. I did the same thing on the other side which gave me a raised brake shift peg which is much shorter allowing my boot to be tucked in more.

While I had the fuel tank off I added a quick disconnect to the tank vent. My bike had a splice under the left cover so I removed it and added the FI disconnect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FSRZNN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't like how wide the front blinkers were, so I removed the spacers while the tank was off. (lets you get to the connectors) Here is a pic of both long and short.

If you looking for where to tap into a switched circuit, the factory USB connector is buried way back in here with the blue and orange wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6LTK44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:46:07 PM by Chethro »
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 05:53:32 PM »
I thought I would move my Headlight mods here.

I got a few LED headlight bulbs cheap off the internet, they turned out to be a little long for the V7III headlight so I drilled a large hole in the back of the bucket for the fan to stick through.
https://www.amazon.ca/Headlight-Conversion-Headlights-8000LM-Warrenty/dp/B07QCFNHS8/ref=asc_df_B07WSD2TD9/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335168036855&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5825299384634900123&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001500&hvtargid=pla-838458101748&th=1
These shipped from Canada which was surprising, I thought they would be on a slow boat from China.

I have no qualms about destroying the headlight bucket, any future owner can easily replace it.

The little circuit board is for the driving lights, underneath it has a couple of 2 Amp reed switches, they are turned on by sticking a magnet to a small target on the bottom of the bucket,

It turned out that my neat hole wasn't perfectly aligned pushing the lamp out of alignment so I made it much larger and added a ring to hold any wires or cables away.
No need to worry about making the bucket waterproof, there's a 1/4" gap all around the headlight rim.

The Blue & Black wires are connected across the park light and go to the Voltmeter .

It just jambs into the large hex on the steering stem. A short piece of rubber hose is made barrel shape by reefing down on the bolt.

The first LED I used had a cooling fan under the emitter inside and it only used half of the reflector, I had to use it without the fancy anodized ring.
These new ones are 3 sided and much smaller so I could re-fit the ring.

The bracket for the driving lights and horns fixes to pre-tapped 6mm holes under the steering head.
The horns are a bit gaudy but they sure get attention, I plan to replace them with an air horn at some stage.

72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Wildroamer

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Excellent improvements, all! And look at you, with your fancy tool tray!(Milano hasn't got one).
I thought the coin magnet was a joke at first, with our non-ferrous change down here.
I must say that, for me, I was really impressed with the pouch that you attached to the seat! Brilliant!
 :thumb:

Bert Remington

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
KR -- for some reason I missed this topic.  You introduced it masterfully
I have made a number of improvements and some changes, you can decide which is which.

WRT to driving light switch, your picture shows the driving lights and parking light On but the headlight Off -- my conclusion the driving lights are switched by the parking light power.

Your tool tray expansion is brilliant!

Chethro -- I went the opposite direction on turn signals -- I purchased spacers from Cadre Cycle and extended outwards for better visibility.  I disconnected the wires on the reflector end so didn't have to remove the tank.  There was sufficient slack so I didn't have to add wire.  Longer button head screw needed of course.  I've only done the front -- waiting on installing side cases (H&B 38L Xceed) to see if there's room to extend the rear.

malik -- for horn power  (via relay pins 30/87) use the Orange (+12V from Fuse B 15amp Ignition On) and Blue (Ground) wires Chethro referred to.  For the relay coil (pins 85/86), use the two horn wires: Gray (+12V from horn switch) and Blue (Ground).

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »
I rewired the bright / hi-beam lead to run a relay instead of the light. The relay has fused, heavier wire running from the battery back to the high beam and running lights (all LED). It's been working fine for over a year now with no error codes.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
I rewired the bright / hi-beam lead to run a relay instead of the light. The relay has fused, heavier wire running from the battery back to the high beam and running lights (all LED). It's been working fine for over a year now with no error codes.
The really nice thing about LEDs, they only need 9 Volts for full brightness so you can have a Volt or two drop through the switchgear and get the same illumination.
I find with old age I cannot see in the dark so I avoid it if at all possible, the lights are so others can see me.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Bert Remington

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
KR -- thanks for the clarification on the purpose of your auxiliary lights.  My story is similar.

With my V7 III I had to take evasion action every day I rode it.  Didn't happen with the Norge whose large White fairing looked liked CHP who nobody messes with.  So I mounted two Rigid 504813 lights on my Stucchi engine guards and at 22W each they put out intense light (I'd say about the 6K Kelvin range).  Like you, I wanted visibility/conspicuity vice illumination (my LED headlight is quite adequate*) and since most SoCal drivers have 6K or higher LEDs I put Lamin-X Amber film over the lenses to differentiate the V7.  My guess is 4K Kelvin.  So far no evasion needed not that I don't watch drivers eyes in their mirrors and keep two fingers on the brake lever (you and I differ on horns, I removed mine).  The Rigid lights were still too bright for night-time so I purchased some Amber snap-on lens covers to make them acceptable to on-coming drivers.  My guess is about 2.5K Kelvin.

I don't know the power of your lights but Lamin-X offers a Yellow film that isn't as dark as their Amber.

*When I had my cataract surgery, I paid extra for aspheric lenses in distance-only correction to ensure maximum night-time performance.  I'm totally happy with my investment.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 08:26:47 PM »
A couple more.
I felt as though I was riding with my foot resting on the brake so I dropped the toe piece 20mm with a guide to make sure my foot ended up on the brake pedal.
It's not possible to adjust the lever without messing up the stop light switch.

Someone thought the tool tray dam was a good idea so I show a few details.

I sealed the cracks with tape to stop any small parts falling through.

LED tail/stop light, when I first put the bulb in both stop and tail LEDs were on so I loaded the stop light down with a 1K resistor, in hind sight it may have been leaking
across the switch contacts, I had just washed the bike, anyway a 1,000 Ohm resistor fixed it. I may have to add a few white LEDs to illuminate the plate.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:41:29 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here