Author Topic: New Hacker rides it home  (Read 2855 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Re: New Hacker rides it home
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
The Vetter has a brake on it but the PO said it didn’t work when he got it, He tried to fix it but couldn’t find parts for caliper which is rusted frozen, so  now it’s just ballast. I’ve often wondered what it might be like. Gonna have to try and fix it just to see, if it helps when  I put it on the EV.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
The Vetter has a brake on it but the PO said it didn’t work when he got it, He tried to fix it but couldn’t find parts for caliper which is rusted frozen, so  now it’s just ballast. I’ve often wondered what it might be like. Gonna have to try and fix it just to see, if it helps when  I put it on the EV.
  If it's a Velorex, if'n you do get the brake operational, it'll just lock the wheel every time you touch the pedal. If you back it off enough so that it doesn't lock the wheel, it'll not do much of anything.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
  If it's a Velorex, if'n you do get the brake operational, it'll just lock the wheel every time you touch the pedal. If you back it off enough so that it doesn't lock the wheel, it'll not do much of anything.

Yep, what I did was use a T3 rear wheel with disc brake.  I use a hand lever mirroring the clutch lever, like a double lever that runs a cable to a master cylinder. That gives me enough feel for impending lockup.  For regular braking I count on the bikes brakes
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »
On the Jack-All rig, I added another disc on front and plumbed both fronts and the sidecar brake together to a Gixxer master cylinder. You could grab a handful, and it would stop as straight as a rig will.  :smiley:
Honestly, I think a Velorex is awfully light for a big block Guzzi.. but if that is what you have, you need to figure out how to make it work.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
Yeah the Velorex I used was too light and I kept breaking the sidecar frame so I built my own frame.  I didn't know anything so I read all I could and built it so the frame mounts ridged to the bike and the adjustment, toe, lean out etc is done at the wheel, which added too much complexity but worked well to get a good setup. Now that I have a good setup I've been gradually cutting down the frame which is way overbuilt but I have confidence pushing the thing too fast around corners.

John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
Yeah the Velorex I used was too light and I kept breaking the sidecar frame so I built my own frame.  I didn't know anything so I read all I could and built it so the frame mounts ridged to the bike and the adjustment, toe, lean out etc is done at the wheel, which added too much complexity but worked well to get a good setup. Now that I have a good setup I've been gradually cutting down the frame which is way overbuilt but I have confidence pushing the thing too fast around corners.

I love the idea of it all being adjustable at the wheel. GOod thinking!!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
Pretty ballsy mate ...
You remind me of this bloke..

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »
Pretty ballsy mate ...
You remind me of this bloke..

That guy is obviously nuts,  what are you trying to tell me? :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »
The Velo frame is too light for Guzzi use IMO. Too flimsy. A heavier framed sidecar is more appropriate to Guzzi use like a Ural. You may find it flexes in hard corners making it unstable.

IME with two sidecars on Guzzi's, the Guzzi brakes are enough to do a great job. Sidecar wheel brakes can be more trouble than they are worth.

DO take a sidecar safety course. I used to be in instructor myself. Its a great course. It was based on Dave Hough's book. At the very least, get Dave's book and study and practice.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
THANKS for all the great advice. I found a crack in the sidecar frame, repaired that & added some additional frame bracing & therefore a little weight. The rig handles really well and I'm enjoying it. Really installed & setup well. I am gradually adding ballast BUT wanted to get comfortable driving without it, which has been accomplished. I'm adding ballast to compress the car's suspension a bit & eliminate some of the rattling & bouncy ride. Here's a pic.

I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2019, 05:40:03 AM »
Pretty..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here