Author Topic: HID lights are they worth the cost and effort?  (Read 12737 times)

56Pan

Re: HID lights are they worth the cost and effort?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
My experience was exactly the same as nikwax's, on exactly the same motorcycle.

But......I believe one can now get HIDs that replace H2 and H4 bulbs and therefore put the focal point in correct place.. Recently found this true w my LR Def90 automobile.

I guess I'm more of an anachronism than I thought.  What is an LR Def90 automobile?

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
I guess I'm more of an anachronism than I thought.  What is an LR Def90 automobile?

Shorthand for Land-Rover Defender 90 I'm guessing.
Charlie

56Pan

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
Shorthand for Land-Rover Defender 90 I'm guessing.

Works for me.  Thanks.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
I got my LED trucklite in a jeep last week in order to test 7" round replacement hesdlights.  The other side has a standard halogen.  It will literally be a side-by-side comparison.  I hope the camera picks up any difference.  The jeep was in a shop and not going anywhere soon.  I'll be testing as soon as its mobile again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »
LED lights are OK, but like Wayne said, not great.  If I rode at night a lot I'd get an HID.

If you want best performance from an LED get one with a reflector matched to it.  My LED conversion works great for my use but does not outperform the H4 Halogen bulb that the reflector is made for.  The beam is very broad, which is what I wanted.  The most I can say is it reflects very well, road signs or animals eyes.  But, for lighting up the road at distance, not so much. 
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
I currently have the Trucklite LED in my V11S. It does disperse light pretty well, but in the fog last night, it was not good at all. It's also fairly difficult for oncoming traffic to see the headlight during the day. Yesterday, a city street worker yelled that my headlight was out as I was passing him. I do have some LED aux. lights, and they work really well.

I'm hoping the HID works well with the reflector from my bike. I have the Bosch 8", and it's fairly smooth on the inside (not one of those fancy multi-angle reflectors like in newer bikes).
Ken
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:34:13 PM by Moto Fugazzi »
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • Griso
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

I would stick with close to a 4000k color temperature.

Color options from DDM: 3K or 4.3K. Recommendations?
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
I currently have the Trucklite LED in my V11S. It does disperse light pretty well, but in the fog last night, it was not good at all. It's also fairly difficult for oncoming traffic to see the headlight during the day. Yesterday, a city street worker yelled that my headlight was out as I was passing him. I do have some LED aux. lights, and they work really well.

I'm hoping the HID works well with the reflector from my bike. I have the Bosch 8", and it's fairly smooth on the inside (not one of those fancy multi-angle reflectors like in newer bikes).
Ken

Which trucklite do you have?

I have the big 8" headlight in the EV.  No, the HID doesn't work any better with it than with a 7" because the 8" is still made for the halogen bulb.  It's like pouring buckets of light on the night.  I'm hoping my projectors act more like a firehose.

I did not know DDM was making bulbs as yellow as 3000k.  I've had 3500k elements and thought they were too warm -- color aberrations on street signs and such were startling and distracting, much like I experienced with the too-blue end of the spectrum.  So I'll go with Wayne (again) and suggest something in the 4000k range.

Something to keep in mind is that the mfgrs all have a different idea of what color is at what temperature.  I've got two 5000k elements from different makers that do not look at all alike.  So you might want to call them and ask what color is the closest to 'daylight'.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • Griso
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
I have the Phase 7. Info here (3rd post down): http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68943.0
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »
Color options from DDM: 3K or 4.3K. Recommendations?
Ken

The 3000 is probably very functional, but it has a pretty amber color to it if I recall.
From what I gathered about HID, the lights are most efficient near 4000 also. So the 3000 may simply not be as bright.

On the other hand, LED is blue by default and the phosphor coating to make it white, also blocks some light. So the less blue in the LED, the less brightness. A catch 22 for sure.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »
I have the Phase 7. Info here (3rd post down): http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=68943.0

Thanks.  That's what I've installed in the jeep for testing.  Heavy thing.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
Thinking about converting my '72 Eldordado to a HID head light.  I work second shift so half of my driving is at night.  Does anyone have any first had experience with HID lights?  Are they really that much better?  $40 and an hour to install the conversion.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Going back to the OP's question, on his bike I would say no.
The 7" H4 lamp is so well developed over so many decades why monkey with something iffy?
I put relays on my Eldo with wire sized to make it work as intended. I learned early on that the Eldo/Ambo headlamp is poorly grounded especially for using a higher draw lamp such as a 55/60W H4. I used 10 gauge wire from the battery with a fuse in line to send power to relays under the tank then 12 gauge to the high and low with a 10 gauge for a ground wire tied to the headlamp bucket and back to the frame. No modification to the stock wiring was done. I made a harness to pick up the trigger for the relays from inside the headlamp shell. It easily runs a 55/100 watt "I can see Russia from here" H4 bulb. Is it overkill? Yes. Was it costly? No. And the biggest bonus is that the power for the light is NOT running through the precious and delicate plastic fuse holder. It has been 20 years and it still looks brand new.
So as far as the old bikes go I say get a nice H4 headlamp, stick some relays in the circuit and ride on!
Just my .02

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here