Author Topic: Solitude/Isolation vs. People/Cagers?  (Read 10786 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Solitude/Isolation vs. People/Cagers?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
I like people individually. Get em in a pack, a crowd, a tribe, I begin to see stereotypes I don't care for. Then I'm outta there. Sturgis?  N.F'n.W. At rallies or events, I seek out those I know. I might compliment a stranger on his or her bike. After visiting, I'm off to the edge of the mob, then outta there.

Exactly, most Guzzisti are individuals who happen to ride a Moto Guzzi because they are not mainstream.  If the majority rode Guzzis I'd be riding something obscure.   But that doesn't mean I'm a loner socially.  It means I think for myself.  I don't automatically follow the pack.  I go my own way.  Hell, I ride MP3s, MuZ, Aprilia maxi-scooter too. I'm 1 of the REAL 1%.   :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:35:17 PM by Arizona Wayne »

56Pan

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »
For me it comes down to trust.  I only trust people I know.  My wife, when we met many years ago, was the complete opposite - she trusted everyone until they proved otherwise.  However, over the last several years (after a couple of close calls with some questionable people), she is becoming more like me...  Wish it would be the other way around, but human behavior, especially in large groups, is not my cup of tea.   
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:25 AM »
I come from a lifetime of "high alert" and find large crowds fatiguing. Inevitably, there is a diverse mix and many are bound to be selfish and discourteous. I sorta expect it and try not get angry about it, but it does tire me out.

I have an old friend nearby that has been a great riding partner for many years. My wife is incredibly good company on a car trip. My farm has a huge variety of diversions, to include dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, Guinea fowl, and a pond chock full of Bluegill and Florida Bass. My folks and my brother live right next door. Truth is, I really don't have to be around big crowds unless I choose to. My life is really satisfying that way...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:49:36 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:25 AM »

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
At risk of jumping into the "deep end" of the pool...

Relatedness is a fundamental human need. People cannot stand total isolation, which is why solitary confinement is among the most dreadful punishments. However, the drive for relatedness does not have the same intensity in every person. Carl Jung based his psychological types first on the dichotomy of introversion and extraversion, and this distinction has been supported by current research into personality factors - although the data suggest something more like a continuum (normal curve) than a dichotomy (bi-modal distribution).

Other psychologists/psychoanalysts, such as Erich Fromm, have described the need for relatedness not just to other people, but to our work or other activities and causes. We need to feel authentically connected to something, committed to something, or else we become alienated from our sense of self (via hermitic isolation or mindless over-conformity). Many lifestyle brands feed this human need for relatedness; you can see it strongly in the Harley community with their various symbols of identity and belonging.

Personally, I prefer to recharge on my own (introversion) but many people find groups to be energizing (extraversion). Many introverts find the constant connection of technology and overcrowding of spaces to be draining - and seek refuge in isolation in order to "recharge" and maintain their balance.

Motorcycling on my own is one of my refuges (as is tinkering in the garage). The Guzzis provide ample opportunity for both.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

lucydad

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
Scud,

Well written and a very accurate description of myself.  Motorcycle riding is one of my key recharge activities.  Connectivity to a group is important.  I find it interesting how internet forums/groups can provide some of that, and their value is highest when members actually meet face to face and relate. 

Wow, sun came out and it is cool and windy.  Last night we had a vigorous cold front move through SE Texas--including some hail.  I hate hail.

Think I will wait until early afternoon, then take a bike out. 

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
At risk of jumping into the "deep end" of the pool...

Relatedness is a fundamental human need. People cannot stand total isolation, which is why solitary confinement is among the most dreadful punishments. However, the drive for relatedness does not have the same intensity in every person. Carl Jung based his psychological types first on the dichotomy of introversion and extraversion, and this distinction has been supported by current research into personality factors - although the data suggest something more like a continuum (normal curve) than a dichotomy (bi-modal distribution).

Other psychologists/psychoanalysts, such as Erich Fromm, have described the need for relatedness not just to other people, but to our work or other activities and causes. We need to feel authentically connected to something, committed to something, or else we become alienated from our sense of self (via hermitic isolation or mindless over-conformity). Many lifestyle brands feed this human need for relatedness; you can see it strongly in the Harley community with their various symbols of identity and belonging.

Personally, I prefer to recharge on my own (introversion) but many people find groups to be energizing (extraversion). Many introverts find the constant connection of technology and overcrowding of spaces to be draining - and seek refuge in isolation in order to "recharge" and maintain their balance.

Motorcycling on my own is one of my refuges (as is tinkering in the garage). The Guzzis provide ample opportunity for both.

Good post!

We all need to feel connected, in someway, to some people or things other than ourselves. We are not just solitary, savage animals. However, for some of us (at least for me), our time around other people can be tiring and aggravating--not always, but sometimes, and with some people.

For myself, most of my time around other people is spent commuting to work (argh!), at my office, dealing with criminals and divorcees and generally fighting with people throughout the day, and then commuting back to the farm (argh again!). Once down on the farm, I can unwind with a long walk with my wife and our dogs through the fields and the woods followed by a run (a jog, really).

I imagine, though, if a bunch of us got together for a campout, I would really enjoy our time together around the campfire...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
Good post!

Snippety doo da

I imagine, though, if a bunch of us got together for a campout, I would really enjoy our time together around the campfire...

Jeff , there is nothing quite like a small camp out , and while we promote them as Guzzi gatherings, pretty much any motorcycle enthusiasts are welcome . Heck , even BMW and MP3 riders  :laugh:

Dusty

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »
Some of what people describe here might also be attributable to low levels of Vitamins B12 and Vitamin D...in all seriousness, worthwhile getting that checked as both of those at the proper levels can promote a more positive mood/outlook on life, along with regular exercise to get the endorphins flowing and the lymphatic system functioning.  Poor physical conditioning or sluggishness can also lead to mental fatigue, unwillingness to engage or otherwise be social...  Of course, being confined indoors during the winter months and not being able to ride can make people somewhat curmudgeonly as well.  :)
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »
Jeff , there is nothing quite like a small camp out , and while we promote them as Guzzi gatherings, pretty much any motorcycle enthusiasts are welcome . Heck , even BMW and MP3 riders  :laugh:

Dusty

Hey Dusty, I do my talking/socializing in the daytime and am usually in bed when the campfire starts, if there is a campfire.   Many times there isn't or if there is not many mingle there.  If I perceive a clique of riders I stay away from them for they are only interested in conversing with each other.   I look for other non attached riders.  :smiley:

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »

Hey Dusty, I do my talking/socializing in the daytime and am usually in bed when the campfire starts, if there is a campfire.   Many times there isn't or if there is not many mingle there.  If I perceive a clique of riders I stay away from them for they are only interested in conversing with each other.   I look for other non attached riders.  :smiley:

Yeah Wayne , I basically do the same thing . Our little gatherings at Cedar Vale and Oklahoma seem to work well , large enough to provide variety , small enough to remain intimate . CV draws out the non-rally types along with those of us that like the small rallies .

Dusty

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 12:33:58 PM »
... and their value is highest when members actually meet face to face and relate.   

:1:  See Scura Rally:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=80770.0
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here