Author Topic: 2015 V7 stone oil dip stick level  (Read 12225 times)

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
Re: 2015 V7 stone oil dip stick level
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 07:29:25 AM »
I am reading this thread and then out of curiosity go to the garage and check air filter box. What I found? Oil! I remember that we (me and my service man) put in exactly 2 liter of oil. What is odd is that my service man actually worked in Guzzi factory in the past (apparently this was mandatory to get status of official Guzzi Service shop) and also he was confused with oil capacity and dip stick markings.  :shocked: But he went by the service manual and put in 2 liters.

I also remember that there was something weird with final drive (cardan) oil capacity (again, service manual vs. actual volume). But there you luckily have this screw (hole) up to which oil must be...
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
Guys... help!

I have 2400 km on my V7, but today it was my first longer ride on a highway. Went to visit my aunt. I was constantly driving 140-150 km/h and also tested full throttle a little bit to see what this little bike can do. I just had a weird feeling. Then, at home, in my garage I found oil on both sides of the engine. I think oil came from upper bolt which I don't know what is for. See the pictures. Tomorrow I will remove 2dl of oil... 2 liters is apparently waaay to much.

Hopefully no damage as been made.

Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
Have to laugh as sometimes I think i have some sort of compulsive disorder...maybe I do.  Drain the oil, change the filter, add 1.5L, and go from there.  Guessing full is about 1.8L on my V7ii. 

Waxi, I think that's your transmission breather, so don't panic.  Shop probably put a little too much in there.  Just clean it up and ride.

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
Wow, shouldn't be surprised this is still going?  Always seems to be questions about oil, tires etc.  But here is an update on my V7 that started this topic.

4K miles on the oil change, Total 10K as of last week.  There has been no noticeable change in oil level (2ltr at oil/filter change and as I  posted in the original post I remarked the dip stick to show actual level with 2 ltr).  There has been some very minor misting of oil in the bottom of the air box but no oiling of the air filter and clean plugs.  Reminds me of the car engines of the 60s and older, always a little oil coming from the valve cover breathers.

Wont be long and it will be time to do the oil change on all the pieces parts of the engine and recheck the valves.  Curious to see if there will be any need to adjust.  I did have to adjust the valves at 6K.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
So I have to much oil also in gearbox? Nice, just nice. :cry:
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline v65tt

• Hatchling
    • Streffords
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 01:05:58 AM »
Have been putting exactly 2l in every v7 that has come through the workshop and never had a problem

All small blocks put air in the air box right back to the mk1 v35 and v50

Breather is a crap design and always has been until the latest v7ii with the spine breather

The air box breather is pulling oil vapour laden fumes out of the crank case and condensing them hence the oil in the air box

Dip stick is a bad design as is the lack of main stand... so why worry if it reads high? Ensure you have exactly 2l of oil in the sump and mark your own max level on the dipstick with it screwed in and on the sidestand..

If the condensation collection function of the air box bothers you remove the entire breather system and sump return.... plug the sump return with a suitable bolt and crush washer. Block all the now unused oil connections on the air box.

Get 2 x 1m lengths of 8mm fuel pipe and connect each one to the valve cover breather out lets.. run the two pipes carefully trough the bike to the rear mud guard.  Try to loop the pipe up high under the tank to force any condensing oil back.

My v7 engine has run like this for 5000k miles and not lost a drop of oil
Iain

1984 V7 TT ( 2015 v7 stone powered TT )
1986 V65TT
2016 SWM SILVER VASE 440
1974 HONDA XL250 MOTOSPORT

http://www.streffords.net

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:04 AM »
Ok, but this oil apparently came from gearbox...
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 04:35:25 AM »
I personally would not worry about a bit of oil coming from the gearbox vent. At least you have enough in. :thumb:

If you want to hear woe wait till the dealer puts 150 ml in the box instead of the diff. :cry:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
That is a bad thing indeed!!  One reason to do your oil servicing yourself!!  At the VERY LEAST Check the oil level at the inspection holes BEFORE you leave the dealer parking area!  Engine and Gears don't like to run without proper lubrication.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
With the transmission, you only know the capacity, and can't really check it.  So you drain and add the spec capacity.  Of course, it is not totally dry when you go to re-fill, so if you put in the spec qty, you may be slightly over-filled.  I had the same issue after an extended highway run at 70-80 mph.  Some oil came out of the transmission breather.  Cleaned it up and all ok now.  Next time, I will put slightly less than the spec qty in it. 

Offline waxi

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »
Ha. That was interesting. I have called my service and tell them about dipstick and this gearbox issue. We were talking 10 minutes and then I said that most probably the Guzzi did a mistake and write wrong oil capacities. That really pissed him off and he hanged the phone! Great.

I'll do it myself, despite warranty.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:32:14 AM by waxi »
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
The recommendations I've had is to measure the amount of oil removed and then replace the amount removed.  This is my first experience changing V7 transmission lubrication.  Gonna take all the recommendations and see how they work out.

I plan to do like I did the engine oil.  Check the location of the oil at the fill location before draining, drain and check amount.  Refill with amount drained and then check if the level is the same at the fill location.  I plan on doing the same with the final drive as well but I have experience with Honda, BMWs rear drives So they arent as much of a question.

It is so odd that the downloadable Guzzi Maintenance manual for the V7 classic doesn't have the oil change description for the Transmission??    http://www.guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/750/V7Classic_022009_Atelier(GB).pdf
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here