Author Topic: GPS software  (Read 8551 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: GPS software
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2016, 10:39:20 PM »

I have a fat bar.  It's a single bar though -- not swan necks or clip-ons.

What's the bar diameter?
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »
It's the EV 30mm bar.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »
It's the EV 30mm bar.

OK - I think I have a unit that can fit that size, as well as some other mounting options.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »
Took me a few days but I found the Earthmate Lt-40 GPS dongle, loaded up Delorme Street Atlas 2009 on my Windows 7 T410. Contrary to all the hand wringing on the forums, the drivers for the dongle loaded right up (they must have finally solved the 64bit driver issue).

the one thing I did like about the Street Atlas software, it makes very nice printable maps. Provided you have a colour printer. Not sure just how out of date she is but it's working. If life gets too easy, I can try to learn how to use it. Should stress me right out!  :grin:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »
I gave up on delorme as a real-time tool.  I don't know what they were thinking and neither do they.  ITsec did a redeye roundtrip from Lost Wages to the rally with a ITsec-modified Tom-Tom and mount and gave me a tutorial on how to get lost the hi-tek way.  I've so far found Baker City, the Oregon trail museum, and not only found my way to an urban campsite, I found my way BACK to the urban campsite.  So my needs are met.  Thanks, Tony!

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 01:53:04 PM »
I gave up on delorme as a real-time tool.  I don't know what they were thinking and neither do they.  ITsec did a redeye roundtrip from Lost Wages to the rally with a ITsec-modified Tom-Tom and mount and gave me a tutorial on how to get lost the hi-tek way.  I've so far found Baker City, the Oregon trail museum, and not only found my way to an urban campsite, I found my way BACK to the urban campsite.  So my needs are met.  Thanks, Tony!

No problem - I needed to take a ride for mental floss anyway.

Remember - when you're ready to start using the PC to manage the GPS, you will need two pieces of software.

The first is the TomTom software package, called TomTom Home. Here's the link to the current version download page - http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5122/related/1 . Contact me via PM when you're ready, as I'll need to give you a password to ensure the lifetime maps updates are accessible (you need to use my TomTom account).

The second package is Tyre. It is the tool for actually building map itinerary files, allowing you to lay out a set of waypoints and a destination, and shape the route so that it follows the roads you prefer. Here is the Tyre website - http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/ - the free version is all you need, as the ads are not particularly annoying (they often are not even shown, since they're almost all from the EU).  Install Tyre AFTER TomTom Home, as it integrates into the TomTom Home control panel.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
The second package is Tyre. It is the tool for actually building map itinerary files, allowing you to lay out a set of waypoints and a destination, and shape the route so that it follows the roads you prefer. Here is the Tyre website - http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/ - the free version is all you need, as the ads are not particularly annoying (they often are not even shown, since they're almost all from the EU).  Install Tyre AFTER TomTom Home, as it integrates into the TomTom Home control panel.
[/quote

I have played with Tyre a good bit. Not bad. But it uses maps that are online. So it is pointless if you don't have an internet connection.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 05:42:31 PM »
"I have played with Tyre a good bit. Not bad. But it uses maps that are online. So it is pointless if you don't have an internet connection."

True - I mentioned this an earlier post, and discussed it with Dave when I handed over the TomTom to him. He is going to use the PC-based tools when he is stopped for the evening, where he will be more likely to have Internet access. The built-in maps on the GPS will work for itinerary planning since I modified the device's software and menus, but it's not nearly as convenient as doing it on the PC.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Docpond

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:29 PM »
I have a California Titanium with a broken odometer and apparently replacement is not available.  I am looking for a simple GPS that will tell me how fast I am going and how far since the last fillup.  Any suggestions?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »
I have a California Titanium with a broken odometer and apparently replacement is not available.  I am looking for a simple GPS that will tell me how fast I am going and how far since the last fillup.  Any suggestions?

Almost any GPS will tell you how fast you are going (updated about once per second), but I'm not aware of one that acts as a trip meter on its main display. Some of the dual-sport guys use replacement GPS-based clusters when they convert dirt-only bikes to dual-sport - I think Rodekyll is using one of those units. Let's see what people mention...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
The garmin GPS will tell you how far you have traveled since the last data reset.  Takes 2 or 3 menu selections to get to the data reset screen.  The Copilot software on my phone does not.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 01:22:06 AM »
IMO GPS is not suitable for real-time speedomertering.  It has a random time lag reporting speed/accel/decal.  There are many environments in which it doesn't work, and you're entirely at the mercy of N. Korean hackers for it's function (N Korea screwed with what they thought was global gps but only messed up their own fishing fleet).

I am using a VAPOR speedo by trailtech.  It may be overfunctioned for what you need.  There are many variations on the theme.

I've been using a zumo in Portland, in a Subaru.  It also has some nice features.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here