Author Topic: V7 shifting issues  (Read 10459 times)

Offline Mikecocos

• New Egg
V7 shifting issues
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I own a 2014 V7 stone with about 4,000 kms. For a couple of days now and after the bike runs a bit, I am having real trouble finding neutral. Sometimes, I also have trouble changing gears and have to apply significant of pressure to the shift pedal in order to shift up or down gears.

I am assuming this is some short of issue with the cable running from the shift pedal to the engine. Anyone experience similar issues? Anyone have any suggestions regarding cause or a potential fix?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: V7 shifting issues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »
If you have excessive play in the cable going to the clutch activation arm it will do that.
On the left handlebar there is an adjuster, back off the large lock ring, then back out the part the cable goes in, retighten lock ring. Continue until it shifts nice.  Should be about  3/16 or so gap by the clutch lever pivot on left bar.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

wahoo650

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
it's also wise to check the routing of the cable.  From the factory it runs right up against the bottom of the right hand cylinder.  The rubber block they put on it is inadequate and will actually melt into the fins.  At the recommendation of a friend I've tied mine up away from the cylinder, but not so much as to kink it or change the angle at the point it mounts at the rear.  Seems to work, I've only adjusted mine once, and that was very little.  Have 3,000 miles on it.  His is a 2010 that had all the seem cable issues until he did this.

Offline Mikecocos

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
Thanks guys.

wahoo650- I tied my clutch cable away from the cylinder, shortly after buying the bike. Was blown away that MG would sell the bike like that. Seems reckless.

guzzisteve- I'll adjust the cable as you suggest tonight. Will get back to you later with an update.

Cheers,

Mike

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »
after the bike runs a bit, I am having real trouble finding neutral.

This happens often.  When the bike warms up the the mechanism seems to stretch a tad, and it'll be hard to shift or find neutral. 
Adjust the clutch just a hair tighter (i.e. less play in cable).
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Pmc

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
My V7 is the same. Goes into neutral easily when cold and not too bad when changing down the box when hot. But change down into first gear and come to a stop and then try to shift up into neutral and it's like somebody has welded the gear lever into place.
I haven't adjusted the cable but I am learning to make sure the bike is in neutral just before I come to a complete stop.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »
My V7 is the same. Goes into neutral easily when cold and not too bad when changing down the box when hot. But change down into first gear and come to a stop and then try to shift up into neutral and it's like somebody has welded the gear lever into place.
I haven't adjusted the cable but I am learning to make sure the bike is in neutral just before I come to a complete stop.

There's no reason the clutch/shifter on these things have to act that way, just take out a smidge more freeplay to sure the clutch really does disengage when you pull on the lever.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »
Insert a good video on adjusting a V7 clutch here  :popcorn:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:05 AM »
Insert a good video on adjusting a V7 clutch here  :popcorn:

There's an idea. I'll post this to remind me once I get back home in a month or so - if someone else doesn't get to it in the meantime.

Mal (16,000km down on the trip so far)
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

pete roper

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 06:43:57 AM »
There's an idea. I'll post this to remind me once I get back home in a month or so - if someone else doesn't get to it in the meantime.

Mal (16,000km down on the trip so far)

Yeah, where are you? I have these poxy heated grips for you and I don't know where to send them! I thought you'd croaked! Idiot!

Pete

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:10:50 PM »
We are back in the bosom of civilisation at Port Augusta, have organised a new tyre & a replacement brake light switch for the Special here. I'll send you a PM with the address.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
One day I hope to have this same picture with my V7 in it.
I lived in Alice for a while and want to go for a ride back there.
The rock is a bit of a detour, but it's worth it.

Did you get caught by the big storms they've been having in Centralia (god I hate that name but they all use it  :rolleyes:)
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 02:50:05 AM »
There's no reason the clutch/shifter on these things have to act that way, just take out a smidge more freeplay to sure the clutch really does disengage when you pull on the lever.

:1: on that. There has to be some free play but I have seen levers that have WAY too much. My Breva will find neutral no problem, will engage 1st no problem but still has a small amount of free play.

I also have the lever packed a bit so it is closer to the handlebars, just so that I can reach it. (short fingers :rolleyes:) Adjustment range is very fine but still doable.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 03:33:01 AM »
I fear that the big issue is that owners are either unwilling or can't read the owners handbook.

Yes, I know it's a recurring issue but the simple fact is that any Bowden cable of this type will compress in service. The outer, especially in hot weather, will compress when the clutch lever is pulled and with a new cable the outer will, over a comparatively short period of time, shorten. This means that the effective travel of the cable will be reduced and therefore the cable will need adjusting.

Instructions on how to do this are IN THE OWNER'S HANDBOOK!.

Yes, I don't doubt for a minute that set-up at a lot of dealers may be a bit ho-hum but surely adjusting clutch free play isn't beyond the ken of ordinary human beings? When I got my first bikes they were all ancient, worn out, shitters! I would of loved to have to have had an owner's handbook or instructions but I managed to nut it out!

It's not rocket science! Use your eyes and intelligence. None of you are stupid! Use your brains.

Pete.

Penderic

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 03:48:00 AM »
A shift linkage with a loose clamp bolt (either #6) or linkage locknuts (#8) on the 2009 V7 Classic model, will definitely cause that.

Also, at a complete stop, the shift drum in the tranny may need a little little little bit of clutch slippage to engage /disengage. Or you can rock the bike back and forth a little little little bit (like a half inch) to help get the shift drum to move out of the 'dead zone'. Click

:wink:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:50:42 AM by Penderic »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 04:11:10 AM »
When I got my first bikes they were all ancient, worn out, shitters!
Pete.

You too huh? :grin:

Mine was an old wartime model Matchy. :rolleyes:
03 Breva

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 04:56:05 AM »
Also, at a complete stop, the shift drum in the tranny may need a little little little bit of clutch slippage to engage /disengage. Or you can rock the bike back and forth a little little little bit (like a half inch) to help get the shift drum to move out of the 'dead zone'. Click

Correct.  Those of us with experience may forget that some don't realize this.

As a way aside, for those of you in AU, the Alice Springs photo reminded my to mention my dad flew 24's out of Darwin.  While on booze runs (!) to the south they's use the rock to assist getting back to base.  There's WAY more to the story!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 05:22:20 AM »
Pete, thing is, I suspect the OEM materials/specs are part of the problem in this case. IIRC setting up at the far end of OEM spec doesn't allow the clutch to fully disengage. I think it's part of the reason I've run into the issue on a number of freshly dealer prepped bikes.

King, I certainly can remember instances on both BMWs (airheads) and Guzzis where this helped. Maybe it does when this particular problem occurs on a smallblock because it allows the input shaft to spin enough to engage/disengage a gear. The irony is that this particular problem occurs when the clutch doesn't fully disengage, so one would probably but think to slip it more to shift, as it seems counter intuitive. Thing is, I feel compelled to mention, that since tightening up the cable sufficiently fully disengage the clutch, I don't think I've ever had to slip it again to shift into neutral or first at a stand still. <shrugs> Unless, as you suggest, I'm doing it subconsciously, which I don't THINK I am, but I'll pay specific attention next time out of curiosity.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 05:27:28 AM »

It has bugger all to do with the shift drum. It's to do with the engagement dogs and their alignment. That isn't the issue though. If the bike is creeping it's to do with the clutch not engaging. That means it's not adjusted right.

Pete

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 06:08:03 AM »
I fear that the big issue is that owners are either unwilling or can't read the owners handbook.

Yes, I know it's a recurring issue but the simple fact is that any Bowden cable of this type will compress in service. The outer, especially in hot weather, will compress when the clutch lever is pulled and with a new cable the outer will, over a comparatively short period of time, shorten. This means that the effective travel of the cable will be reduced and therefore the cable will need adjusting.

Instructions on how to do this are IN THE OWNER'S HANDBOOK!.

Yes, I don't doubt for a minute that set-up at a lot of dealers may be a bit ho-hum but surely adjusting clutch free play isn't beyond the ken of ordinary human beings? When I got my first bikes they were all ancient, worn out, shitters! I would of loved to have to have had an owner's handbook or instructions but I managed to nut it out!

It's not rocket science! Use your eyes and intelligence. None of you are stupid! Use your brains.

Pete.

Sorry, Pete you are not right here. Neither in my German handbook that came with my V7 Stone nor in the English version I downloaded the setting of the clutch is described. If you have a version of the handbook with a proper description of the justage please post it.

I adjust my clutch lever in a way that in idle position of the lever the compression die has minute freeplay from the cantilever that operates it via the clutch cable. The location of the compression die of course is the back of the gearbox. It is visible when a the right side cover is removed.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

pete roper

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »
OK. I give up. Be sad and desperate and don't use your brains. No wonder Piaggio see the 'Future' in the 'Bobber' and 'Roamer'.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »
side topic:
what do you call the kind of head on the screw inside the locknut that adjusts the cable at the gearbox end?
the head has a flatened end which can be sdjusted with a very small adjustable spanner. Is there a specific tool for this kind of head?

pete roper

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 06:49:20 AM »
It's just a 1mm grub screw with a locknut. Back in the old days when people were expected to do basic running maintenance themselves there was a grotty, poorly made, (But in extremis it would do the job.) *Tool* in the tool pouch provided with the bike to twist it. In reality if you get a bit of 2mm bar and cut a slot in the end with a 3mm angle grinder wheel you have the same *Tool*. Piaggio no longer provide such a frighteningly complex bit of technology so hi yourselves hence to Harbour Freight and make one or quit whining.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
 Not everyone is like us Pete , starting out when when tires were still made of stone and electric starters were a sign of being less than manly ...

Dusty

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
It's just a 1mm grub screw with a locknut. Back in the old days when people were expected to do basic running maintenance themselves there was a grotty, poorly made, (But in extremis it would do the job.) *Tool* in the tool pouch provided with the bike to twist it. In reality if you get a bit of 2mm bar and cut a slot in the end with a 3mm angle grinder wheel you have the same *Tool*. Piaggio no longer provide such a frighteningly complex bit of technology so hi yourselves hence to Harbour Freight and make one or quit whining.

Pete

Thanks,
I actually had the grinder out and was going to make one by grinding a slot in an 8mm allen key. But finding the key for the grinder to change the disk I found a small adgustable wrench first which did the trick. Will need to find the key for the grinder though I should tie it to the grinder flex.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
side topic:
what do you call the kind of head on the screw inside the locknut that adjusts the cable at the gearbox end?
the head has a flatened end which can be sdjusted with a very small adjustable spanner. Is there a specific tool for this kind of head?

Well I never! I had better go and have a look at the Breva. In 20,000 miles (low mileage as it was off the road for "some time" :rolleyes:) I have never needed to look as i have never needed it. Shows how little creep there actually is in the cable/cable outer/clutch plate wear. Been able to take it all up at the lever end so far.

edit: must have seen it as I have had the box out twice. :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:25:32 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »
It is rather dumb of Guzzi to omit the clutch lever adjustment from the MoM.

Charm? Quirkiness? Nope, just dumb.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 07:18:59 PM »
I've read many (too many) threads on hard shifting on the V7s and V7II's.  With truly rare exceptions, the problem is always a clutch cable needing adjustment.  It's not hard to do.  I consider these kinds of adjustments as analogous to adjusting the seat and mirrors when you get into a car.  Everyone needs to know how to be responsible for these very basic adjustments.  It doesn't even get your hands dirty.  It's part of riding a motorcycle.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I recieved a letter from the Aussie supplier containing an "additional attachment" to the owner's manual.
It's for the clutch freeplay adjustment!

Guess that shows that it wasn't originally included inthe manual.... :rolleyes:

Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

pete roper

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
I've read many (too many) threads on hard shifting on the V7s and V7II's.  With truly rare exceptions, the problem is always a clutch cable needing adjustment.  It's not hard to do.  I consider these kinds of adjustments as analogous to adjusting the seat and mirrors when you get into a car.  Everyone needs to know how to be responsible for these very basic adjustments.  It doesn't even get your hands dirty.  It's part of riding a motorcycle.

THIS!

Ok, thank's Craig. I must of missed its omission in the V7-II book but even so, it's just something that, at least to me is completely intuitive, like wiping one's arse!

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here