Author Topic: V7 shifting issues  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
Re: V7 shifting issues
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53:49 PM »
I never realised it was missing either - the adjustment is basic and logical.
After you mentioned that I should keep an eye on it I check it regularly .
Someone else on the forum had mentioned 2mm of freeplay (and using a 2mm drill bit to check it.)
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:49 AM »
THIS!

Ok, thank's Craig. I must of missed its omission in the V7-II book but even so, it's just something that, at least to me is completely intuitive, like wiping one's arse!

Pete

I had a chap say to me that his car wouldn't go along properly and smelt funny. You've got a brake dragging says I which was proved to be right when he finally got the garage to take a look.

The sad thing was that he was one of our Mechanical Design Engineers   :shocked:

I'm not saying this applies to the OP (indeed he might be an Electrical Engineer and therefore beyond hope  :wink: :azn:) but simple good understanding of the mechanics of machines seems to be sadly lacking these days
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:06:39 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 07:09:42 AM »
I never realised it was missing either - the adjustment is basic and logical.
After you mentioned that I should keep an eye on it I check it regularly .
Someone else on the forum had mentioned 2mm of freeplay (and using a 2mm drill bit to check it.)
Strange, the clutch adjustment info IS present in my pdf copies of 3 V7II user manuals:  English only Ed. 02_01/2015; Dutch/German Ed. 01_11/2014; and English/Spanish Ed. 01_11/2014.  But it is missing from the earlier (1TB) V7 Stone/Special/Racer manual Ed. 02_06/2012.  I no longer have the paper version of that manual to compare.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
Irrelevant really to my mind. If you can't work this sort of thing out you don't need a motorbike, you need a bus pass. (Cue whining umbrage and first world complaining about how things should always be easy and perfect.).

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
Irrelevant really to my mind. If you can't work this sort of thing out you don't need a motorbike, you need a bus pass. (Cue whining umbrage and first world complaining about how things should always be easy and perfect.).

Pete

I do think that people who drive or ride (more so those who ride) should learn something about the mechanics of their vehicles if only from a safety standpoint. They should know when to pull over to the side of the road with an overheating air-cooled motor or when a brake or clutch is dragging. Yes.

That said, there are plenty of people out there who ride or drive who far surpass you and me in other areas of expertise. Hell, I have no doubt that you and many here far surpass me in the area of mechanics.

But what I really find funny is your complete umbrage at realizing this and to listen to you well, frankly, you sound an awful lot like some of the Moco "faithful" who feel that anyone who can't replace a piston on the side of the road have no business riding a motorcycle.

I just think there's an awful lot of gray area between the two and I'm sure there are plenty of people here willing to help those who are far to the beginner's side on the sliding scale to understand what seems to basic to some of us.

We were all there at one point...

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
...like some of the Moco "faithful" who feel that anyone who can't replace a piston on the side of the road have no business riding a motorcycle....
Well, if you can't fabricate a replacement block at the side of the road, then you're a hopeless wuss.

But, seriously, please neither of you go off in a huff.  You're among the more valuable members of this forum and I enjoy reading all of your comments, even the abrasive ones.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Mikecocos

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks. the pics are appreciated.

A couple of weeks ago I recieved a letter from the Aussie supplier containing an "additional attachment" to the owner's manual.
It's for the clutch freeplay adjustment!

Guess that shows that it wasn't originally included inthe manual.... :rolleyes:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »
Well, if you can't fabricate a replacement block at the side of the road, then you're a hopeless wuss.

But, seriously, please neither of you go off in a huff.  You're among the more valuable members of this forum and I enjoy reading all of your comments, even the abrasive ones.

Pete knows I love him and have enjoyed sharing a pint more than once.

I also have no problem with Pete as I understand his nature (and he mine).

But I don't want to see either of us chase someone else off.

And, if I can compare him to the Moco faithful, well, I get a certain delight in poking the bear.  :evil:  :boozing:  :wink:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
I totally get Pete's frustration. After a couple of years in the motorcycle rider training field, I concur with the basic premise (if for perhaps different reasons): "If you don't care enough about motorcycling to become somewhat of an expert at it, maybe it isn't for you."
IMO we simply can't sell motorcycling as a hobby, like stamp collecting or tennis, because the cost of "doing it wrong" can be up to, and including, paying the ultimate price. No such risk in tennis or stamps, as far as I know! Also, we get 10 threads on the difficulties of shifting.

It's true, we were all new once. "Way back" in the pre-internet days, when the now-grizzled veterans were just getting started, they learned a few things by asking their more experienced cousin or by hanging out at the shop or the track. Their "dumb" questions were witnessed by a few; today's are asked here in full view of all of us idiots.  :grin: 

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks. the pics are appreciated.

Those factory images on adjusting the clutch are interesting.  Sadly, the translation was done by a high school student, so it's fairly useless.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
I do think that people who drive or ride (more so those who ride) should learn something about the mechanics of their vehicles if only from a safety standpoint.

As part of the motorcycle course I did 150 years ago it was part of it. The course was not a short 2hr jobbie but took about 6 weeks of Saturday mornings. Not only covered the riding and safety aspects but basic mechanicing and servicing of the bike.

Well worth it.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »
Well, seeing the missing pages of the manual I�m happy to realise that my way of adjusting the clutch that I found intuitively albeit being an electronics engineer is right on the spot :azn:.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:17:48 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here