Author Topic: Dipstick weirdness again  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
Re: Dipstick weirdness again
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
Relatively new 2015 V7 stone owner.  I also posted this very same topic last month.  Changed oil measured 2 ltr per manual/filter change at 6.5K, warmed the engine a few laps around the block, checked oil per manual and the oil read about 3/8 inch over hash marks

After forum discussion I just marked the dip rod for indicated level. 

At 4K miles after oil change with with light oil misting of air box there has been no noticeable change in oil level on dip stick.

After some experiance with this bike and reading the forum I figure filling with proper amount of oil IAW manual at oil/filter change, check the oil every so often as I do with any machine with oil.  Still getting comfortable with the V7, so far it is pretty much like any new to me bike and that is a good thing I guess.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
122.05 cu in(2000 cc) per manual
I never put 2 full liters in, but then again I check on the side stand. I usually leave about 2 or 3 oz in the 2nd bottle and that keeps my level in the safe zone when checking on side stand. I do change the filter but don't pre-fill it. YMMV
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 10:28:34 AM »
I can't imagine any way you *could* pre fill a small block filter..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
There's no way to "pre fill" the filter in these engines. 

EDIT:  Beat me to it Chuck. Got the warning that someone else was posting at the exact same time!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:30:44 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
Just had a thought. You could turn the whole bike upside down like we used to do with our bicycles..  :smiley: Rest it on the handlebars and seat.  :cool:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
Just had a thought. You could turn the whole bike upside down like we used to do with our bicycles..  :smiley: Rest it on the handlebars and seat.  :cool:
Or, if you had some dilithium crystals around, you might be able to reverse gravity.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
As far as I'm concerned prefilling = priming or filling before running the motor or at least before checking final oil level.

So yes you can prefill/prime (though I don't know why you would) simply by turning the motor over by hand or using the starter with the ignition disabled (spark plug leads grounded).

But the real point in bringing it up was to make sure the oil filter was indeed full before declaring the motor overfilled after an oil change.

Jeezzz, you guys could make a fuss over anything.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
True Dat!!   :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu   :grin:
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »

Yes, and performing both draining and filling the transmission and engine through the drain hole plugs helps to reduce wear on the dipstick threads as well.

:Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 01:22:54 PM »
At one point in time Caterpillar and/or Cummins recommended against filling oil filters before installation because dirt could be introduced to the inside of the filter and therefore directly to the engine oiling system.  Working on heavy equipment I stopped doing it many, many years ago, there is enough oil still on the bearings to lube them while cranking.  According to the engineers who lead our training sessions, the highest load on the bearings is at startup, and no damage would be done if we prevented the engine from starting until the system filled the filters.  On diesels I shut off the fuel, on gas engines I remove spark.  To date I have not lost an engine and remember some filters are mounted upside down, how can you prefill those? Everybody do what pleases themselves and ride far and often!!

Brian

How is dirt going to get in the filter by pouring oil into the filter that wouldn't have gotten into the filter by pouring the same oil directly into the engine? 

Our marine diesels used element filters which displaced a gallon or more.  Can you imagine cranking a dry diesel engine for the minutes it would take until that filter can filled and the element soaked up enough oil to start passing any to the engine?  That's a LOT of unnecessary stress on the battery, starter, etc just to avoid hand-filling the filter.

But the comparison to a 6-oz guzzi filter isn't really fair.  Neither are complaints about upside down filters and the like.  The guzzi doesn't have any of that.  Pour oil into it.  Spin it on.

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »
RK as I said, do what you will.  I only reported what I learned in training from my employer and the manufacturer of many heavy diesels.  I'm not here to argue information is information.  Check out some of the oil forums and so on for arguments either way.  All I know is what I was taught and what I have experienced.  I suppose I've done it wrong for my whole career, guess it's a good thing I'm retired now so I can't damage any more engines.  Experiences in the world of engines, all kinds of engines vary greatly. Please understand that I only offered a different viewpoint for consideration, I can't stop anyone from prefilling or not.

Brian

1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »
Not arguing with you, BMC.  Just offering that different engines and different filters might have different procedures.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here