Author Topic: Was Dusty right?  (Read 5777 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Was Dusty right?
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
He may have been right! 

We corresponded and discussed my upcoming purchase of the Honda CB1100.  We also discussed the merits of twins vs four cylinder bikes.  And we discussed that some of us are "twin guys" not triple or four cylinder riders.

I now own a CB, a 2014 Standard, and find I cannot get into the bike.

First off, I find the suspension extremely stiff, both front and rear, and am faced with throwing $$ at the bike to improve the ride. 

But I'm not certain the bike will work for me even if I install better shocks and fork springs and damping.

I think after riding the CB on the smoothest sections of asphalt I can find, that the feedback from the 4 cylinder in line engine just might not provide the vibes I enjoy, whether from my 1200 Sport or the R100GS flat twin, or previous Triumph twins.

I am almost afraid to proceed with purchasing shocks and front fork components, since I may only experience a different ride, but not an improved ride.

But the main thing may be ....... I simply like the feedback I get from twins vs 4 cylinder machines.

Bob

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Was Dusty right?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Dusty?.... Right?....

I shall rise to that challenge!

As far as missing out on the vibes and their attendant satisfying effects, as 3-4-6 cylinder bikes go, I find that a sweet exhaust and a freed-up intake track for its roar go a long way in providing their own visceral pleasures.

Suspension? Maybe it's just new-Jap tight and will open up over a couple of thousand miles. In any case, tweaking the existing internals over a yootoob tutorial might return a satisfying weekend of tinkering.

Todd.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:45:40 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »

"I don't know much about history
 Don't much biology
 Don't know much about a science book
 Don't know much about the French I took...

"But I know that one and one is two
 And that's enough to get a scoot to do"

OK , not my best work , but you get the point  :laugh:

Dusty

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:47:59 PM by oldbike54 »

Frulk

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »
Bob. That sounds like a fair assessment of where you fall in the engine preference department. I love the CB but there's a reason I have a couple of twins sitting beside it. It checks a lot of of my boxes but not all of them. Funny you're still struggling with suspension. I would describe the ride as plush but I seem to remember you're much lighter than me. I fall in the extra husky rider range   :rolleyes: and that prob helps to smooth out the suspension.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:47:58 PM by Frulk »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
Well I know that assessment would be true for me.

For you, I dunno.

As for Dusty, well "even a broken clock... Twice a day..."

That is all.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »
Bob? What exactly was the problem with your Sport 1200? I thought you loved the piss out of that thing? I have to say I was a bit perplexed when you said you were selling it, I couldn't understand why you'd sell a bike you enjoyed so much and replace it with something else just as heavy.

Pete

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
Bob? What exactly was the problem with your Sport 1200? I thought you loved the piss out of that thing? I have to say I was a bit perplexed when you said you were selling it, I couldn't understand why you'd sell a bike you enjoyed so much and replace it with something else just as heavy.

Pete
Pete. I do love the 1200S.  Owned since 2010.  She's turned over 65,000 miles, and still is a pleasure to ride.  As I get a bit older, and find I didn't recover 100% from heart surgery and subsequent staph and sepsis last year, the Sport has become a bit too heavy for every day riding.  But note, she's off the 'for sale' list at the moment, and has been taken out for several day rides of more than 200 miles on some of our finer state and secondary roads.

The old Beemer (R100GS) is still a good ride, and gets the bulk of my saddle time, being several pounds lighter than the 1200 Sport, and with what feels like a much lower CG.

Re heavy, yes the CB1100 isn't a lightweight, but also carries its weight low.  She'll probably go 'bye-bye' and get replaced with a twin. Maybe a V9 or a new Triumph Bonneville.  A damn shame, because the CB1100 is such a beautiful machine.

EDIT:  Pete, you got me concerned about how much or little I was riding, so I checked my 2017 mileage.
Honda CB1100 = 1600 miles
BMW GS          = 3000 miles
MG1200S         = 2000 miles

Not too bad for an old dude!  And the Sport has had more miles put on than I thought.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:48:07 AM by ohiorider »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:32 AM »

That works especially well with a two-cylinder engine...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »
Bob, what did you experience on the familiarisation ride that turned out to not be there after you wrote the check? There must have been some indication that it was going to turn out to be less than ideal. Also, what's got you blokes all tickly down below about these beaut CB1100 Honda things in the first place? Aren't they just another rice flavoured rocket ship thinly disguised as licence eaters? And if you're not using them in that regime, why did you want it? When you breathe on the twist grip ('cos you never actually "twist" it) doesn't it just send a silent command to the arm stretching unit under the tank and instantly and un noticeably add 100 kph to your current velocity without bothering you with such mundane sensations as an interconnection between man and machine, (if we may be so romantic)? When you blokes buy these things, what was it about the particular mammoth that you thought MIGHT appeal ? We are reading this on a Guzzi forum ????!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:33:28 AM by Huzo »

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 05:17:27 AM »
Bob, awfully sorry to hear that the CB1100 doesn't seem to be working out. I also have been seduced by its looks and apparent capabilities. Since I'm trying to downsize from eight bikes to maybe four or five (seven currently), I resisted the urge . . .

When I look around my garage, I see one single, four twins, and two triples (KLR, R1100RT/Guzzi/two H-D, two K75s, respectively). I would say that there's no question I have the best "feelings" or "experiences" on the twins. Don't know why. The KLR is excellent for what it does, and the K75s are superb for commuting and "taking care of business", regardless of weather. Twins just feel natural . . .

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »
Hi Bob, I tried different 4cyl. bikes back in the day and had a lot of fun trying to throw my license away and I ended up with a 750 Honda. I lived with it day to day for only 3000 miles and got rid of it, I have not owned a 4 cyl. since, they just don't do it for me, maybe you are not a 4 type of guy either, trade it off for a v9 and all will be right with the world. Of course I could be wrong  :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 05:57:52 AM »
Well Bob. There is always the V7 III. I saw the blue last night up at Phil's shop. Stunning in person. The colors remind me of Gulf Racing.

John Henry

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »

That would be at 9 and midnight.

Got that in there for ya, John!   :grin:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »
Not much of a buzz guy ,eh?  More of a thumper vibe guy !!   I could never get used to smooth engines in a bike, too much like a car.  Ever own an old K100, they give you a hummer at speed and you'll stand up off that seat.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
That works especially well with a two-cylinder engine...
[emoji106] [emoji48]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
I enjoy test riding all types of bikes and usually take the opportunity to do it whenever I can. I've had almost all configurations of engine architecture and number of cylinders and firing orders, along with my share of 2 strokes, singles, twin, and triples. I have felt like some in-line fours were too smooth, some too buzzy, some turbine like, and some were just "different'.

I test rode a new CB1100 shortly after they came out (only time) and was unimpressed with the total ride package as it seemed awfully vanilla. I remember riding a new Bandit the same day and felt like it was a much more engaging motor. Totally different impression.

That's just my impression and helps formulate my recommendation to always know how a bike rides and feels before you buy it. The only time I've broken my rule recently is when I bought my 1200 Sport from MI, had it shipped down, and had never even seen one in person. It turned out to be one of my favorite riding bikes of all time. Go figure.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »
Being an old motor cycle guy , I've had both inline 4's and numerous twins on different makes and models and I think I can give an accurate and fare assessment. The difference between the two is like the difference in ridding a mule or a horse. They are similar in nature but with different attitudes, demeanors, and strides. In the end they both do a good job in getting the job done and get you to where you are wanting to go. The twin being the mule, which I prefer and the horse being the inline. Just the point of view of a country boy from NC.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »
... and get replaced with a twin. Maybe a V9 or a new Triumph Bonneville.  A damn shame, because the CB1100 is such a beautiful machine.

The V9 will definitely have more character than the new water-cooled Bonneville.    Now that MG have moved the pegs rearward, I'd actually be more interested in a V9, but, still prefer the looks of the V7, and if buying a new Guzzi, would choose the V7III Special in blue.

I had the opportunity to ride a friend's CB1100 last summer for a few hours while he rode my V7 Special.    It liked the bike, and found it shared some traits with the V7, but had better brakes, and was faster.   But, when I got back on the V7, I knew I had the right bike for me.    My friend has since sold the CB1100 and moved on, but, I still have my V7.

Back to the Triumph.   I test rode the  standard 1200cc Thruxton (not R), and R-Nine-T back to back.    I wanted to try the Thruxton-R, but, the Hermy's had just sold the only one they had at the time.    I prefer the looks of the Thruxton to the R-Nine-T, but, found the R-Nine-T to be more visceral.    I didn't expect this, as I would've expected the 270-degree motor of the Triumph to sound better to me, given me preference for 90-degree V-twins.  I think it is due to being a water cooled motor, that the mechanical sounds are muted.

I felt that the cam-head boxer in the R-Nine-T had a little more torque too.

Given your history with BMW boxers, I'd recommend given one the R-Nine-T variants a try.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:01:56 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
We should all figure out what works for us in a motorcycle, but the decision cannot be strictly an exercise in logic. Bikes are not appliances and how they reach us emotionally is just as important as their functionality.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
 Kev's just upset because being right twice a day is an aspirational goal for him  :evil:

Hey Bob , tell 'em how I knew that you're a twin cylinder guy .

Dusty

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
Can't comment on the bike; but Dusty leans left, not RIGHT!!!!!!  :>)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 11:46:31 AM »
Kev's just upset because being right twice a day is an aspirational goal for him  :evil:

Hey Bob , tell 'em how I knew that you're a twin cylinder guy .

Dusty
Could be because of a total of 16 bikes over 34 years, over half my miles have been put on six twins I've owned.  Over 25% has been on only one of them, the 26 year old R100GS 'bumble bee.' 

I can't count my BSA from the 1960s, since the Smiths speedometer quit working shortly after I bought the bike.

You could say I like twins.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
Was Dusty right?

NEVER!![/size]

:evil:

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
Bob, Since I have a 12S, I know how you feel.  If it was me... I would keep the gas tank as low as possible knowing that the gas tank is located high up there and gas weighs 6 lbs. per gal.
12 lbs. is better than 36 lbs.  when pushing the bike around. Then fill it up if you're going on a long trip.

The other options are the V7, V9 or find another good used BMW R100GS similar to yours before they ballooned in weight. 
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »

That's half right, it was a goal, but I managed it once...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:20:03 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
 :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »
It is funny how we interpret the feel and sounds of different bikes. In my case,

Loud HD or clone thereof: "Buy some mufflers, jagoff."

UMJ or Sportbike on the pipe: "That asshat gonna get KILT!"

Quiet bike:   "Ahh, a dude with some sense."  :evil:

Guzzi, Duc, Bonneville or related: "That's not noise, that's music." 

Bottom line, if there were only one type of bike available, if I could hold it up, I would still ride it.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
Dusty is like "Silent Cal" Coolidge.   He rarely speaks, but when he does, he's usually got a cogent point. 

I've decided I like bikes with character.   To me, smoothness is not the goal.   Crazy impressive performance specs don't do it.   And I generally find I-4 engines too smooth overall . . .  yet annoying "buzzy" as well. 

I'm working hard to like a recently purchased Triumph Street Triple Rx.   But like you, I just haven't jelled with it so far.

And like you, Dusty gently suggested the Triumph Triple would be a mistake (for me). And I didn't listen.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 02:57:49 AM »
OK, I'll be the first to acknowledge what we've all been dancing around in this thread.

Dusty....

What bike should I buy next?

:bike-037:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 04:27:58 AM »
I had a Street 3 also.  Best performance bank for the buck ever IMO.  Did everything great,  Sols it at 3200 miles or so.
MUCH prefer my V7.  It feels alive as opposed to, well, whatever........... ................... ................
It simply feels right, to me.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here