Author Topic: Valve rocker clearance .020 OVER nominal - Impending doom or user error ?  (Read 3814 times)

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Clever lad that I am, I decided to change plugs and adjust valves before the rally next weekend.

I usually measure and log my valve clearances before I change them, against the day when such data becomes highly valuable and I can sell at the peak of the market.

So imagine my shock when the right side intake valve, which was set at .006 " about twenty thousand miles ago, was at .026

Everything else was within a few thousandths of where it was supposed to be.

So is something dramatically wearing, or did I simply set that valve at the incorrect portion of the cycle ? I can't see how I could have used a feeler gage that was that far off - I looked through them all and found no logical error modes.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

Zucchini ?

Dusty

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
you're off your rocker?  :laugh:

oldbike54

you're off your rocker?  :laugh:

There is no tolerance for that here  :laugh:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
There is no tolerance for that here  :laugh:

Dusty
actually, I thought I fit right in  :wink:

within a few thousands, anyway
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:20:26 PM by yogidozer »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
I kan't believe you didn't hear an awful racket. I vote operator error last time set.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
Bad Clams
No yak Fat
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
I DID hear an awful racket.

But you may be relieved to know that it was just a Guzzi engine running.

Seriously, no scary noises. Just the usual handful-of-change-in-a-soupcan sound.

Well, better no yak fat than to be yak stomped, I always say. Actually, Christopher Moore said.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:03:09 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
I was fixin to attempt to adjust my Calvin�s valves but now I�m Skeered:(

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Go for it, [Ncdan] - it's simple. I almost always get it right. The trick to remember is that it's better to get them too loose than too tight.

Not as loose as I did, of course. But the bike was still running great.

oldbike54

Re: Valve rocker clearance .020 OVER nominal - Impending doom or user error ?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
I kan't believe you didn't hear an awful racket. I vote operator error last time set.

No need to lash out Steve  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
Now [Dusty], he needs an outlet valve for his feelings. He shouldn't try to stem them. Of course, if somebody has deep seated feelings, counseling may help.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
whenever you adjust valves, on any engine, rotate the crank by hand at least one full rotation, and check again. takes only a few extra minutes

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
Well, he did ask---  wasn't trying to lash out, my ears are sensitive to the rocker noise. I would think over 20 thou play gap would show metal in oil or pan if it was impending doom. I'v let my adjustment go 20Kmi and was only 2 thou big.
Sorry Norm if I came across different than intended
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »
Well, he did ask---  wasn't trying to lash out, my ears are sensitive to the rocker noise. I would think over 20 thou play gap would show metal in oil or pan if it was impending doom. I'v let my adjustment go 20Kmi and was only 2 thou big.
Sorry Norm if I came across different than intended

Steve , it was a pun , "lash" out  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »
So Norm.. you are saying you haven't checked the valves for 20000 miles?? Hello. Earth calling.
Just the same.. if there isn't some operator error involved.. :evil: it's most likely a cam lobe. I'd set it properly and check it in 1000 miles. If it's a cam lobe, you'll find out pretty quickly..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
bet it ran pretty poorly on that cylinder.  Was any air getting in there?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuck750

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
I bet the Ferrari driver was wishing he could one day own a Guzzi

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
I think that Maserati has a Ferrari V8 engine.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
Go for it, [Ncdan] - it's simple. I almost always get it right. The trick to remember is that it's better to get them too loose than too tight.

Not as loose as I did, of course. But the bike was still running great.
Lol, ok norm, I’ll call you if I run into any unusual happenings;)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
whenever you adjust valves, on any engine, rotate the crank by hand at least one full rotation, and check again. takes only a few extra minutes
Now that’s one I’ll use,yog, thanks for that tip!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
Clever lad that I am, I decided to change plugs and adjust valves before the rally next weekend.
your now entering the Normzone.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Sorry, [guzzisteve] - valve/stem/lash/seat were all valve puns, but as they say over on the Halfbakery, " if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny ".

[Chuck], that's what my logbook says, but now I doubt my sanity and my eyes, so I'll re-check the log .... after a beer. That's how you pilots do it, correct? I like the operator error theory much better than a cam lobe.

Thanks, [yogidozer], I'll buy a socket. I turn the crank over with a wrench, which doesn't fit very well between those charging doohickey fins, and is a minor pain to finesse. Then I'll be cool with doublechecking. Mayhaps that contributed to my getting it off location in the first place. Yes, you fit right in - what are the classes of fit? Clearance, interference, and something else?

[LowRyter], it was running great, and the plug looked normal. I'm beginning to suspect that no matter what is really going on in the inside of the engine, when the plug tips hears the socket slide over the end of the spark plug caps, the electrode ends hurriedly put on their makeup and pretend like everything is normal and they've been working hard. Those lazy things probably don't even bother to fire half the time, and just pass the impulse from the coil on to the cylinder and let the two of them sort it out and make it happen.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »
Sorry, [guzzisteve] - valve/stem/lash/seat were all valve puns, but as they say over on the Halfbakery, " if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny ".

[Chuck], that's what my logbook says, but now I doubt my sanity and my eyes, so I'll re-check the log .... after a beer. That's how you pilots do it, correct? I like the operator error theory much better than a cam lobe.

Thanks, [yogidozer], I'll buy a socket. I turn the crank over with a wrench, which doesn't fit very well between those charging doohickey fins, and is a minor pain to finesse. Then I'll be cool with doublechecking. Mayhaps that contributed to my getting it off location in the first place. Yes, you fit right in - what are the classes of fit? Clearance, interference, and something else?

[LowRyter], it was running great, and the plug looked normal. I'm beginning to suspect that no matter what is really going on in the inside of the engine, when the plug tips hears the socket slide over the end of the spark plug caps, the electrode ends hurriedly put on their makeup and pretend like everything is normal and they've been working hard. Those lazy things probably don't even bother to fire half the time, and just pass the impulse from the coil on to the cylinder and let the two of them sort it out and make it happen.
Enzo, is that you?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
(echo on)      " After further review on the field of play, the valves were last adjusted only five thousand miles ago "     (echo off)

I don't know where I got the 20K figure - last time I looked at the log was a few weeks ago.

Then again, my alternate universe syndrome could be flaring up again. There is no cure, but your generous donation helps fund research for treatment.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:46:07 PM by normzone »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »

you can turn the engine over by removing the plugs put the bike in 5th, and turn the rear wheel by hand

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 05:31:58 AM »
Well firstly, you mentioned .006 on the intake valve. 2 intake and 4 thou ex. were the us specks. 4 and 6 are the euro specks.

What **might** have happened was that you had two feeler gauges stuck together?????

As previously noted, reset and check in 1K miles to see if things are changing. 004 intake/006 exhaust.

John Henry

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
What's the compression like?

I ask because I had a piston to (exhaust) valve incident on my LM2: Compression was down a little on one cylinder and a lot on the other. Valve clearances had mysteriously grown due to the (lightly) bent valves not fully closing.

Bike was running, just a little down on power and wouldn't idle...
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:04 AM »
     My limited 40 years experience of running my T3 has had the right hand intake cam follower start spalling two different times. The way oil is flung around may be why it manifested with that follower. A few thousandths (about 5) extra clearance was the give away and was caught early each time. 5 thousand miles is a good valve lash checking point, I would say. But .020 inch is a whole lot of lash. If it were mine and I had eliminated the possibility of measurement error, I would just pull the head off and raise the cylinder up enough to pull the followers out for an exam, but that is just me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:36:20 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
Well, I figured out where the 20K miles came from at least.

That was the last time the heads were torqued.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here