Author Topic: The G5 arrived.  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
The G5 arrived.
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
The UShip people delivered the G-5 today just as I was leaving for work. Good deal, as I dealt with them rather than Ava having to do it. But then I had to go to work without inspecting the bike.... :laugh:. I always wanted a G-5, but now I'm hung up somewhere between elation and WTF have I done?  :evil: Cursory viewing at midnight showed no obvious flaws, but too late in the day to start it. Gotta give the PO marks (good or bad) for his creative fixes . As Charley mentioned in a previous post, the exhaust and front fender mounts are , er different  :grin:  So, after breakfast, I hope to hear a Guzzi start easily, run on both jugs and idle nicely. It has  the floorboards I like, and the cast wheels. Seat is not stock, but seems comfy. Not my favorite handlebars; will probably get some variation of civvy bars with bar-backs. I took a chance buying it out of the 'collective'. If anyone knows the bike and has any info, please share.

I thought I was over this illness, but it is cunning and baffling.... :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: The G5 arrived.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:53:05 AM »
I thought I was over this illness, but it is cunning and baffling.... :wink:
I'm beginning to see what you mean.

Congrats on your new project!
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
I don't know that particular G5, but I had a nearly new 1979 Version, back in the 80's.  I found the machine to be a great touring bike, with the accent on sport. Although mine had a full fairing, and hard bags, it handled very well. Mountain pass roads were my favorite with that bike.

It is one of the bikes I regret selling.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:26:03 PM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
Congrats, looks really good. I have gotten that 'wtf have I done' feeling twice this year buying two "new" bikes. I'd say make a clear plan in your mind. Fix enough to ride it around (bare minimum) or do a full restore. Big difference in time commitment and budget, including what types of tools you may need, buy or make (that adds up a lot). I rode my G5 around the first year I had it by doing the bare minimum, realized I really-really loved the bike, so then I did a full restore the second year I had it.

The seller showed that bike running, sounded pretty good I thought. I would just change the tires, maybe check/flush the brake lines, and change the other fluids and go from there. I can't tell for sure, but the transmission case appears to have a certain "been worked on lately" look to it, maybe the bike has a new clutch? Either way, that looks like a good bike to me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:34:07 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:16 AM »
Now we're all on pins and needles; you know how when someone has a bike experience, we all think "What if that were me?"   What if I had a new-to-me bike sitting in the shed that's supposed to be a runner, but I don't know yet?

Maybe I'll delay turning on the key and pushing the button - as long as it's just sitting there, my imagination can see it starting and running quietly and perfectly.    Maybe I'll spend some time fiddling, making sure there's no mud-dauber nests in the intakes or exhausts, making sure the battery terminals are clean, the battery is charged and load-tested ....

And then hear it turn over and ..... ?????

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:49:36 AM »
I would also say give those bars a chance. I think they are part of what makes that generation G5, but here I am thinking "keep it stock"  :grin:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
 We need a Rep Larry  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
We need a Rep Larry  :evil:

Dusty

I got your Rep....... :violent1:
2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
I got your Rep....... :violent1:

Well you do remember what happened the last time you said something like that  :evil:

Dusty

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Looks good to me, I like it.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Well you do remember what happened the last time you said something like that  :evil:

Dusty

No idea what you mean......... :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »
I finished some chores and finally got out to the garage. The battery was flat. (Dammit, Lannis :laugh: ) Hooked up the charger, it started and coughed out a little smoke, and ran ok. It idled without help. After I rocked it off the centerstand, I realised how hefty the thing is. The PO has bent the sidestand to a new shape that holds the bike more upright when deployed. Problem is, you cannot reach it with your foot while sitting on the bike. That will be Fix Number 2, after the battery service. Pulled it out in the street, and it all came back to me. The funky side to side rock, clunky shifting, pleasing engine sounds. Rode it around the block a few orbits to see if all gears work, brakes, etc.. It seems grand. Upon bringing it back into the garage, the weight of it hit me again as I tried to put it back on the centerstand. I know the trick about putting your foot on the bottom section and rocking it back, but the "newer" style center stand deployment arm makes this tricky. Plus, the bike seems much heavier than my old Ts or Eldos. Maybe even more than my Cal III. Pretty sure my "Man" card is on wavers, as I had to get Boss Lady to help me put it on the centerstand  :embarrassed: Now I have a hobby.  :evil:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
I would also say give those bars a chance. I think they are part of what makes that generation G5, but here I am thinking "keep it stock"  :grin:

Those bars are my favorite for an upright tourer. I first rode them on my Convert, then put a pair on my Cal 2. PM me if you decide to ditch them.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
That center stand is tricky for sure. I think I finally got how to do it: You basically put all your weight on the curvy extension of the center stand, pull up/back on the rear grab-bar, while pulling back on the handlebars - also, hold your breath and cross your fingers (in your mind) since both hands are tied up at that moment  :grin:

What is different about the side stand? From what I can tell, it looks to be normal. There was an earlier version that had bends in it, but from what I can see, it looks to be the straight one that come on the '81 models. I also can't reach mine from sitting, unless I really reach/stretch for it.

Edit: I did see the bend, now I understand. I think the long arm on the center stand also seems to have been modified.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:06:53 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

twowings

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
Let's take it out for a ride, Shorty!!  :bike-037:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
Deploy the kickstand using your left hand.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »
I don't know that particular G5, but I had a nearly new 1979 Version, back in the 80's.  I found the machine to be a great touring bike, with the accent on sport. Although mine had a full fairing, and hard bags, it handled very well. Mountain pass roads were my favorite with that bike.

It is one of the bikes I regret selling.

Mine had a Windjammer, Krauser bags and a Shoei trunk. I could stick with my brother's 750 Paso easily.
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
Those bars are my favorite for an upright tourer. I first rode them on my Convert, then put a pair on my Cal 2. PM me if you decide to ditch them.

Can you really use those bars without a windshield?    I've tried them on a Convert and a Cal III with and without windshields.    With a windshield they were a misery.   Without a windshield, they were impossible ....

Maybe it has to do with the cross-sectional square footage of the rider, but it's SP-type bars for me on a Tonti ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
Let's take it out for a ride, Shorty!!  :bike-037:

Maybe by spring......
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
When putting my T3 on the centre stand I find it easier with my foot on the bottom section, my left hand gripping the top of the crash bar and my right hand on the rail by the rear shock mount. As long as the front wheel is pointing straight it comes up easily onto the stand.
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline erich

• New Egg
Re: The G5 arrived- centerstand
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
@ centerstand: I approach my G5, which is on the sidestand, from the left side. I put the left leg of the centerstand on the ground. I place my right foot on the END OF THE U where I can exert maximum pressure later. Keeping light pressure I slowly rise the bike until both legs of the centerstand touch the ground.  The sidestand is still out, I would pull the bike towards me on the sidestand if I panic during the last stage.  Then I step on the end of the U - where I before had carefully placed my right foot - with authority. The bike rises a little bit, and that is the major requirement. An additional little leaning against the rear crashbar, and I am done.  The left hand on the handlebar only keeps the front wheel straight, but I do not use it for pulling.
First time I stepped INTO the U and strained my hip and arm. For some time I did not dare to stop at the gas station for fear of embarrassment.   
1979 V1000 G5

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Thanks Erich and injundave. Will try it your way.
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 12:24:11 PM »
Welcome in to the G5 fold ,  long legged and built for speed.   I dropped the oem police bars  and it made a big difference, friendly to ride all day without a shield.

best image upload site

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
If you get a suitably thick pice of wood (around 1 1/2"), you can roll the rear wheel onto it and the bike will "fall" onto the centrestand as you move it backwards, because you've reduced the angle to near overcentre.
Don't have it too big though, because you want the rear wheel to have cleared it by the time it's rocked backwards onto the stand.
Only any good if you're at home in the shed !!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:22:55 PM by Huzo »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
Here's the video that sold me on the bike:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KySkRVPlS5M&t=30s    It was the sound that hooked me..... :cry:  :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
"It's got a horn"
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Saw off the muffler nipples off.  Add turn signals.  Take the mini-anti homeless spikes off the fender.  The dash looks like it's off an earlier bike. :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »
Saw off the muffler nipples off.  Add turn signals.  Take the mini-anti homeless spikes off the fender.  The dash looks like it's off an earlier bike. :tongue:

Earlier G5s had the Convert "bread box" "dash" with a small (40 mm?) tach in a separate pod under it. Later ones had the "dash" shown in Shorty's photos.
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
Doesn't surprise me any.  The factory must have found a crate of them and used the bits up.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
Doesn't surprise me any.  The factory must have found a crate of them and used the bits up.

It was a current production part, used on the T3, then T4 up to 1982, plus the small-blocks, so they weren't just using up "leftovers".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:12:14 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here